Do certain amp tubes benefit the tone one looks for? I have a Peavey Valveking 112 and the distortion on it sucks in my opinion. Would putting in better tubes help? If yes, which ones for high gain metal?

Thanks
Putting in a better speaker would help more though. Or trading it in for a Bugera...
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Tube tend to elicit a more subtle change in the sound of an amp. If you can afford it VKs love a new speaker and new tubes, the stock offerings are not fantastic.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Tube tend to elicit a more subtle change in the sound of an amp. If you can afford it VKs love a new speaker and new tubes, the stock offerings are not fantastic.

Gotcha!

So what tubes and/or speakers can I purchase. Do I need a tech to do this?
the tubes you may need a tech to bias but no prob for the speaker. I'm not too knowledgeable on speakers but JJ's are great tubes, along with Tungsols. there is an Ultimate Speaker thread
Quote by mcrfobtai
the tubes you may need a tech to bias but no prob for the speaker. I'm not too knowledgeable on speakers but JJ's are great tubes, along with Tungsols. there is an Ultimate Speaker thread

No tech required, VKs are cathode biased if I'm not mistaken, plug and play. JJs and tungsols are great for powertubes, though I don't know the differences between them per say. JJ preamps are gonna be darker sounding than tung sols, both still good preamp tubes. Avoid sovtek and groove tubes (GT powertubes are ok, you can do better, but their preamps are just re-labeled sovteks)

I've heard of a lot of people replacing the speaker with a v30 or one of the many copies, seems like a good choice.

The speaker is easy to replace too, unclip it, unscrew it and then put the new one in. Make sure you torque each screw down good and try to make it equal, this will prevent the speaker from rattling.
Quote by Kevin Saale
No tech required, VKs are cathode biased if I'm not mistaken, plug and play. JJs and tungsols are great for powertubes, though I don't know the differences between them per say. JJ preamps are gonna be darker sounding than tung sols, both still good preamp tubes. Avoid sovtek and groove tubes (GT powertubes are ok, you can do better, but their preamps are just re-labeled sovteks)

I've heard of a lot of people replacing the speaker with a v30 or one of the many copies, seems like a good choice.

The speaker is easy to replace too, unclip it, unscrew it and then put the new one in. Make sure you torque each screw down good and try to make it equal, this will prevent the speaker from rattling.

I think most peaveys are cathode biased. At least, I'm pretty sure the Classics are. I personally find tungsols make better preamps and JJ's better for the poweramp
Agreed, I'm lovin the nos jan phillips I've been rockin. I have a 12AT7 in V1 a 12AU7 in V2, I use a tungs 12AX7 in V3 (for the FX loop) and in the phase splitter I have a balanced 5751, tonal bliss, this set up is miles ahead of using mesa 12AX7s
They're pretty cheap, check tube depot. Their 5751 is teh secks, but I need more gain cuttage, thus the at7 and the au7 together. I suggest trying a balanced at7 or 5751 in your phase splittler and possibly trying one in V1 of your amp. In the phase splitter it really adds clarity and in V1 it gives a nice creamy tone. Be warned though, you order one, you'll probably order more.

Edit: I just realized, I have an unbalanced 5751 if you want to buy it off me, 10 bucks with shipping.
Quote by Kevin Saale
They're pretty cheap, check tube depot. Their 5751 is teh secks, but I need more gain cuttage, thus the at7 and the au7 together. I suggest trying a balanced at7 or 5751 in your phase splittler and possibly trying one in V1 of your amp. In the phase splitter it really adds clarity and in V1 it gives a nice creamy tone. Be warned though, you order one, you'll probably order more.

Edit: I just realized, I have an unbalanced 5751 if you want to buy it off me, 10 bucks with shipping.

Ahh, sorry, my tubes were recently upgraded.
Hold onto that though. I am always looking at ways to improve my tone
Quote by end_citizen
Just remember that when you get the new speaker that the impedance has to match the old one. It will probably be 8 ohms.

16, actually.

Most people say the Vintage 30 + VK is a match made in heaven... personally I use a Warehouse Veteran 30 (Vint. 30 clone w/ reduced midspike + lower cost) and I really like it.
Quote by DeathByDestroyr
What the hell is a G&L.

Quote by Flux'D
Gay & Lesbian I think, the box smelled funny
Greg what did you send me??