Ok, so I tok lessons from a teacher for about five years, i am now 16, and i havn't played in over two years. However, i would really like to start playing again. I didn't practice much during the time i took my lessons, an all I really can remember is some note reading and the basic chords. What method book should I pick up to try and teach myself(my parents won't pay for lessons anymore because i didn't practice the first time around) also, what kind of guitar should i get...i have/had a yamaha look alike strat which played really good, it was a starter pack, so i have the amp that came with it. What guitar for around 300-400$(looking at a mexi strat) thanks alot! hope to be shreading w/ you guys soon...i like contemporary rock and classic rock, also like some accoustic songs thanks!
Hey man, here's my advice: pick some of your favourite songs and learn to play them! Start with the basic chords (pick them out by ear if you can, or find tabs that seem to fit the recording), and then listen for the melodies and try and mimic them in rhythm and dynamics.
Method books will only get you so far, however there is one I think everyone should have as it's a great reference book and includes a short jam CD. It's by Hal Leonard, and it's called Fastrack Chords and Scales for Guitar. It's really good for learning the chord diagrams and scale patterns; from there it's all up to you just jamming out licks and progressions!
Keep rockin' \m/
Amen Metaxis, That didn't make much sense to me either. . .
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
I know...

The guitar you should get shouldn't really matter in this case because there's no need to flaunt it if you've basically had forgotten the essentials apart from chords. So, yeah, "plug in, turn up, start rockin'". Learn your favorite songs, learn your scales, as mentioned, and do a bit of improvisation when you can. It's as easy as that.

And, PRACTICE at least ONE HOUR PER DAY,
Fill the void *bump bump bump*

Seriously, don't start on theory right away. You'll probably just get bored and drift away again.

Learn your favorite songs, practice them, learn the chords, etc. Just don't jump straight into theory though, wait till your comfortable with your guitar and when you KNOW you have the potential.
LARGE TEXT
Quote by Holy.
Seriously, don't start on theory right away. You'll probably just get bored and drift away again.

Learn your favorite songs, practice them, learn the chords, etc. Just don't jump straight into theory though, wait till your comfortable with your guitar and when you KNOW you have the potential.

Well, he knows his basic chords. And I'm assuming that, with five years of playing but a small hiatus, he can also just straightaway jump from one chord to another in a song. So why wait now? But again, that's just me so, yeah.

I started out like that about one to two years ago -- just playing songs, not learning the theories. I knew my songs, but in the end I really wasn't enthusiastic at all about playing any scales until six months later where I had an epiphany. So basically that will vary amongst different people.
Fill the void *bump bump bump*

Thanks guys...yea, i can play most chord songs w/ ease right now...as long as the chords arrn't to crazy lol...but yea...i wanna pick back up on power chords, soloing and watnot...sorry bout some of the confusion lol...