I know these topics always fail miserably, because everyone is always like "Experiment for yourself and find out what sound you like, lol."

The problem is, with my setup I just cannot get a tone that is not painful to listen to. I think I have some pretty decent gear, which is why it's very discouraging to me and makes me not want to play at all.

Anyway, I have the MXR 10 Band EQ in the effects loop. I've tried adjusting it every which way I can think of, but it seems like my tone is muddy and like there's a blanket over the amp no matter how I set it. I just can't seem to find a good balance between all the bands.

It would be nice if I could get a few samples posted in this topic, just to try out and see how they work out for me. I'd appreciate it.
Well ive got the 6 band not the 10 band, and il post you my exact settings tomorrow,
but its mostly along the lines of boosted mids and treble with some of the lower end cut, with a little boosted treble it sounds really sharp and good
Although i play metal so i love to get that really sharp chugg sound, I dont know what style you play.
My Gear:
Jackson RR3 + Bill Lawrence L500XL

Sennheiser EW500 Wireless
T-bone EWS wireless
IbanezTS9
MXR 6Band EQ
Ibanez WD7
Decimator

Peavey VK100
Epiphone ValveJunior
Kustom Quad100DFX 2x12
MicroCube!
Marshall 1960A 4 x 12
Did you get the small booklet with the settings it came with? Sometimes it's best to try those, but tweak things a little bit to make it a little more the way you want it.
Where are you standing in relation to the amp? That makes quite a bit of difference as well.
Gear:
Dean MS STD V w/ Dimebucker
Dean ML '79
Jackson DKMGT
Randall RG75
Peavey Bandit 112
Boss NS-2
Honestly, asking for settings for an EQ is a very pointless exercise. There are so many variables, let alone vastly differing opinions of what makes good tone.

The best advice is to set the amp as best as you can without the EQ. If you're really struggling, get someone else to twiddle with the settings while you play with your eyes shut. Try and seperate the sound from the feel - more gain may feel better, but result in muddy, undefined tone.
Once you're satisfied you're as close as you can get with the amp, move on to the EQ. Make very small adjustments, one band at a time. Cutting around 200-400Hz can get rid of mud. Boosting around 2-3kHz can help you cut through. Honestly though, use your ears.
Finally, your ears get very confused, very easily. Once you've found some settings you like, leave your guitar alone for an hour or so, then come back, and listen again. You may find that it's not quite as you remembered it.
Quote by Nolly
Honestly, asking for settings for an EQ is a very pointless exercise. There are so many variables, let alone vastly differing opinions of what makes good tone.

The best advice is to set the amp as best as you can without the EQ. If you're really struggling, get someone else to twiddle with the settings while you play with your eyes shut. Try and seperate the sound from the feel - more gain may feel better, but result in muddy, undefined tone.
Once you're satisfied you're as close as you can get with the amp, move on to the EQ. Make very small adjustments, one band at a time. Cutting around 200-400Hz can get rid of mud. Boosting around 2-3kHz can help you cut through. Honestly though, use your ears.
Finally, your ears get very confused, very easily. Once you've found some settings you like, leave your guitar alone for an hour or so, then come back, and listen again. You may find that it's not quite as you remembered it.

+1

I find that when I'm having a "bad tone day" I just need to walk away for a bit and comeback with a clear head, getting frustrated makes you play worse, and clouds your head and inhibits your ability to get a good tone in my experience.

Now, if it's every day then maybe you're just not in the supersonic's sound. How loud do you have it? You may get rid of some mud by cranking it a bit.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
I actually do the complete opposite. I first set the amp EQ knobs (treble, middle, bass) all to 12 o'clock. I do the same to any pedals I may have with an EQ in it (in my case, a Metal Muff). Once those were all set to 12 o'clock, I then set my EQ (MXR 10-band) to find a tone I liked. I wanted a nice clean, and the booklet's settings for "Sparkly Clean" suited me quite nicely. After setting it up like the booklet had it, I tweaked those settings again to my personal tastes.

By leaving the amp and my distortion pedals all at 12:00, I can use them for quick adjustments to tone without having to fiddle with the small sliders on the EQ. I can turn up the treble/bass and scoop the mids on the Metal Muff and now I can switch from my sparkly clean to a Metallica chug. If I find i need to add a little more of either highs, mids, or lows, I can quickly turn a knob or two on the amp to compensate, again without having to fiddle with the sliders and lose that clean tone I liked so much. I just find it faster to make adjustments this way.
~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Once in a blue moon, God reaches down from his lofty perch, points at an infant boy and proclaims, "This one shall have balls carved out of fucking granite."
Does anyone have a copy of the manual. I just picked one up at pawnshop; but no manual.
It would great to find a type of online copy.
Quote by mcrfobtai
You have a gibby lp and a supersonic and you are dissatisfied with your tone?

... seriously...
'57 Reissue Gibson Les Paul Custom, Jackson Soloist SL2H
Marshall MF350
Cry Baby, Carbon Copy, Phase 90

Quote by strat0blaster
I remember this one time - Jesus played Eruption on a lute with strings made from the hair of 23 virgins.

It was pretty hardcore.
I use mine mostly in a "frown curve", that gives a mid-boost and cuts some of the bass in front of the amp. This makes for a beefier tone before the signal hits the pre-amp. After distortion, I use my amp's contour knob to dial out some of the mids with a subtle scoop. This allows for a better distortion tone without the mud at the end. It sounds better than just scooping the mids for metal in front of the amp. I also add a small gain boost, so in a way I'm using my eq like an OD pedal -- you could probably do something similar with an OD in front of the amp and the eq pedal after distortion.

Have fun tweaking ...