Alright, I've played lead guitar all my life. I wanted to expand my horizons so I got a 5 string and I've jammed on it for several months. Now the techniques used on the two axes are so different, as we all know! I need a few pointers on fingering techniques and slapping on the 5 string. Also, if you do any different picking things, that would help too. I've just used lead picking and fingering to this point. Picking was an easy transition, however fingering doesn't work the same. Any help would rule!

in advance!
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
make your fingers walk on a string, like a little man. and slap should be started on once you've got that down perfectly.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
make your fingers walk on a string, like a little man. and slap should be started on once you've got that down perfectly.

That does help, thank you! What do you do in a 3 finger picking rhythm? I Finger a guitar with 3 fingers and my thum... guess which letter key is roken?
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
As a guitarist who moved to bass, my advise is start out with the alternating fingers first and then add a third finger. Also watch you hand position--it should be perpendicular to the strings; don't hold you hand the way you would if you played classical or travis picked.
I know that, for me, slapping is a pain in the donkey-analogue on a fiver. I got so used to flinging my thumb with reckless abandon upon the E string that, when I do pick up a fiver, that B string gets ALL up in the way.

The B string is the cockblock of slap.

What this means is that, unlike me, you need to develop technique. Gotta aim that thumb knuckle, make your hand a fist (unlike the ragdoll-style slap that I throw around). Moreover, develop a way of using the B string in your slap too.

As far as slap in general, well, you can find resources on that.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.