Ok here's the bottom line. I'm looking for a new bass under $275, and I want to have a pretty good one too. Is this thing Squier Standard P Bass good or not? I know the reviews are good but I trust Ultimate-Guitar more than musicians friend for comments on a guitar. If Yes, Why? If No then whats the problem with it?
Whats a sig?
never played that one but I have a Fender Zone and it works great... if that helps
Quote by Aaron the 4th
GAYS...we don't hate that your gay we hate that your proud of it
its a good beginner bass
its the bass i started with, after i got a few more i swaped out the pickups for new ones
so its built solid and held up 5 years of me beating the shit outta it
Quote by CNC-Digity
I would also suggest you check out the Ibanez GSR 200, http://bass-guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-GSR200-4String-Bass?sku=519524

Agreed. The GSR200FM that i have right now is my first bass, and i love it. I'm not really sure what the difference between the GSR200 and the GSR200FM is, but i really like my GSR200FM.

You could always look at ESPs. I'm not really sure how good their lower-end models are, but i was looking into them, and from the reviews that i've read, that don't seem to bad. I know they have a few models in your price range.
Gear:
Ibanez GSR200FM
Ibanez SW35 amp

Jackson JS30RR
Cheap fender amp

Getting a better guitar amp after christmas.

The pickups get annoying, but it is a good bass. Of course, there's better, but this is good for begginers.
Squier VM has the same sound, but much cleaner and more reliable.

+1 on GSR200. great tone.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
The Fender Squier line is a good bass for beginning students of bass, who need a quality instrument to learn the ropes. They are not meant to be road worthy, although many bands use them as main instruments. They used to be as good as the Fender USA instruments when they were made in Japan (in the mid 1980s the Squiers had the impeccable Japanese craftsmanship, often exceeding the USA Fenders of that time), but since the manufacture of Squier instruments has since moved to Mexico, China, Korea, and now Indonesia, the craftsmanship has somewhat declined. The thick opaque finish tends to cover up the low grade wood, and the cheap electronic parts (rated to not last more than a few years) are soldered together quickly, often with no shielding in the cavity--giving the instruments a susceptibility to excessive hum if a single coil pickup is singled out. The necks are initially very straight, but due to the nature of the low grade woods used, the neck tends to warp or twist over a period of a few years.

Do understand that not all Squiers are susceptible to these extreme issues. Most are quite durable and can be quality instruments for decades, but once in a while you end up with a really bad one--one that passed inspection when initially manufactured, but over time begins to show its issues.

If you can, track down a Japanese Squier used on Craig's List. Korean Squiers are almost as good. Look down the neck from the bridge and see if the frets are all lined up and straight, or if the fretsa have some warpage. If there is a neck bow (forward or backwards bow), chances are it's a simple deal to get an allen wrench and adjust it to get the neck straight again. Twisting of the neck is not a good thing--it cannot be fixed easily.

Don't buy new if you can fight the temptation. A used Mexican Fender bass (pretty good quality) can be had for as little as $200. I bought a MIM Fender P-bass for that price two years ago. I also bought a 3-tone sunburst MIM Fender Precision Special Deluxe Edition (P and J pickups, 1999) for $300 used. The great used deals are out there--you just have to be diligent, patient and not settle for something you do not want.

Good luck!
Jaco de Lucia.

The Zen of Duh: How low can you go? Zero Hertz. That's the lowest anyone can go. Just turn off your bass amp and not play.

Q-tuner PUs (0X0 configuration) and HG Thor Labs for the best fretless bass tone. MWAH FACTOR!!!
I've got that for my second bass. Its great. But I've sent it back 3 times until I got a perfect one. Not saying that the sound is bad. Its absolutly amazing. Slap on some Rotosound 66 Swing Bass and your good to go. Try not to slap on it. Somtimes on the right setting you can. Roll the first knob to 50%. The Second stays as 100%. The third is master tone and I recommended you use that.

Good luck
My squier affinity Pbass is still the most comfortable bass I have ever played. The neck is phenomenal, it is so soft and comfortable and it plays itself when it has flats on it. I changed the electronics almost immediately, and I removed the finish so it breaths a lot better.

I love it.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
+1 for the GSR200FM
i have one now, i've been playing it for 3 years now, they are very good instruments.
The difference between the GSR200 & GSR200FM is the fact the FM has a flame-maple top I think, never noticed any other differences.
Gear:

Musicman SUB 5
Ibanez SRX305
Ibanez GSR200
Ashdown MAG300 C115
Ashdown MAG 210 cab

Soon a Fender Deluxe Jazz V & an LTD 206
Quote by Rywad
The difference between the GSR200 & GSR200FM is the fact the FM has a flame-maple top I think, never noticed any other differences.

same here. granted, that top is gorgeous.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom