I'm young. I'm a chick. For these reasons, I'm forced to wonder whether or not any other musician will actually take me seriously.

I know my way around the scene. My dad was a guitarist for roughly 30 years, swinging from band to band. I practically grew up in his warehouse.

My question is:
Say I consider myself a decent vocalist, I'm only in the process of teaching myself guitar, but I've been singing since I was two. How do I come off as someone who knows what she's doing, without being judged by the fact that I have boobs.

Also, I've heard a couple times that my voice makes me sound kind of... well... girly? I need some "teeth" xD Any suggestions?
Did i hear boobs!?

haha... j/k

First of all, you shouldn't have to force yourself into proving anything for other musiciains. If you're trying out for a band and they judge you just for being female, then maybe you shouldn't bother with such people as they are too immature to see past your sex. However, just as any other vocalist you'll have to be able to have a good voice and be able to come up with melodies and insightful lyrics to be taken seriously as what you are: a vocalist.

Jeeze... i hope you lived where i do. My cuz and i have been looking for a female vocalist.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by evening_crow
Quoting yourself is cool.

WARNING: I kill threads.
If you want a more aggressive voice, throw in the occasional scream.

Once it's established that you're a good musician, only the ignorant will fail to take you seriously.
Use the fact that you sound "girly" to your advantage. Your voice is unique and should stay that way. Though I guess the genre of the band kind of affects that, but still...
I have, for lack of a better term, a very "pure" voice. Any attempt to make it harsh or sound really angry does not work well, I just sound like crap. I have great dynamics, ok range, and as long as I don't attempt the above I can do a fair amount of timbre changing, but I can't do harsh vocals. The last band I was in I sang, and we had to adjust to that fact but eventually it was a part of our sound. Take what you have and roll with it, there's no telling what you'll come up with.
If you sing like you know what you're doing, most people will think you know what you're doing. Sing with confidence. Besides, as you probably know that actually does improve your voice some
gender shouldnt matter. i respect many woman musicians (like jen batten, taylor swift-yes i said that-etc.) and im a guy. unfortunately there are many guys out there who dont see past boobs and you should come to expect those immature perverts. just keep on going! prove that you can kick any guys ass at anytime!
I'm looking for a female singer, as long as she's got a high range and can hold a tune I'll take her.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
i think the best way to be taken seriously in any kind of industry (especially music) is to show diversity, let people know you're not a "one trick pony" i think part of what made amy winehouse so famous musically is that she's a young white chick that sings like an old black chick and when you look at her you don't expect the voice you get. be able to throw down with anything given to you and always look to improve whatever aspect of musicianship you can, i think a good sign of a true musician is someone who's so devoted to their art that they're never satisfied with what they're doing.

always push for something better, always strive to be more than what you are. if you do this others will have no choice but to notice.

as for sounding less girly, see if you can sing in lower registers (at least lower for you) find out what your range is and expand it downward.

as for coming off as someone who knows what they're doing, the best thing you can do is just that: know what you're doing. if someone says "this is in the key of Eb major" know what that is.

edit: lastly, theres a "how to scream" lesson on my profile, give it a listen if you want. if you're a native singer it should end up being incredibly easy for you. i'm assuming you have good diaphragm and vox control.
Last edited by z4twenny at Sep 22, 2008,
Quote by MandieMyztic
I'm young. I'm a chick. For these reasons, I'm forced to wonder whether or not any other musician will actually take me seriously.

I know my way around the scene. My dad was a guitarist for roughly 30 years, swinging from band to band. I practically grew up in his warehouse.

My question is:
Say I consider myself a decent vocalist, I'm only in the process of teaching myself guitar, but I've been singing since I was two. How do I come off as someone who knows what she's doing, without being judged by the fact that I have boobs.

Also, I've heard a couple times that my voice makes me sound kind of... well... girly? I need some "teeth" xD Any suggestions?
You're almost the same age as miley cyrus (deliberate lie?), you look a little bit like miley cyrus, your dads also a musician like miley cyrus. Could it be?

Anyway, enough dickery.

First of, female vocalists are better than male vocalists, period. Better in just about ever aspect (except lung capacity).
As long as you pass of as precocious and dont actually act like one of those girly popstars, your fine. Emphasis your intelligence, you might want to do this by learning theory?

Alternatively, you could get lucky now (your dads a veteran musician right? does he have any contacts?) and capitalise on the pony thing. You know, Nicki Webster style? Pity that sort of thing wont last.
Some advice from me to you no matter how many people take you seriously there will always be somebody that dosen't so once you get that mind et and whatever it is your doing makes you happy then keep at it and if it also makes even just 1 person smile it's worth it.
EDIt: dumb comment, quoted below if interested
Last edited by Unledded at Jan 2, 2009,
Quote by Unledded
I disagree, there are some musical genres where there is no doubt that male vocals are superior in every way.

It has nothing to do with genre, and I've failed to find a case where "male vocals" are superior in any way. Every composition is an entity of that artist, and obviously some vocals will sound better with some songs, but gender has absolutely nothing to do with that. The particular vocalists ability however, training and knowledge, yeah, that'll make the difference between a superior vocalist and mediocre one.

I think the TS proves my point when I say that you're applying some unnecessary stereotypes in making such a broad statement such as you have.

BUT ANYWAYS:

TS, honestly, you don't wanna work with people that are gonna put you down for your gender anyway. Your voice and power should speak for itself.
Any good musician worth working with will judge based on your ability and not on your gender.

HOWEVER, I can see how your "girly" sound can let you down.
I suggest you look into some female vocalists that maintain their beautiful female quality without coming off as watered down mainstream pop girly teenage garbage.
(No offense to anyone )

Check out some Cat Power, Regina Spektor, Cranberries, Feist, hell, even Alicia Keys.

With extra emphasis on Cat Power.
She is AMAZING.

Yeah...

Try "Sea of Love" "Metal Heart" "In This Hole" "The Greatest" "Crossbones Style" "Wild is the Wind" "Ice Water" and "The Sleepwalker"....

(All by cat power)
Quote by Guitar0player
You're Thurstonsexual

Happily E-Married to En_zed
The public doesn't want new music; the main thing that it demands of a composer is that he be dead.
-- Arthur Honegger

Enjoy reading? Please crit my work .
When i think "girly" in a negative connotation, it comes to mind they might be trying to say your voice isnt powerfull enough? To fix this, just push from the diaphgraghm and really project your voice. Bruce Dickinson pretty muched summed it up when he said he would pick the person right at the back of the crowd, and sing to them.

My band has a female singer. People take her seriously because she has a lot of talent. If you're a good singer, you wont have a problem whether you're male of female.

^^^^
I'm pretty sure he said "singing", also you are arguing a moot/irrelevant point here. I have no idea why you felt the need to post those lyrics (especially since they are horrible) or provide a song that doesn't even have singing. You should probably keep your "brutal DM" stuff out of a thread about a female singing.
I'll take a slightly different direction. I think the musical selection and how you conduct yourself as a front-woman make all the difference.

There are many singers throughout rock music who were not the best vocalists but owned the audience through attitude and presence.

Concerning music selection: Amy Lee from Evanescence has a pure girly falsetto voice. But her style of music has a dark edge, and she backs it all up with true talent.

And if you have decent looks, why not use it to your advantage? Many bands and performers will use any advantage they can to help open doors. Maybe I'm a bit of a sellout, but I'd rather be a good looking successful performer having to occasionally prove my musical talent than an ugly starving artist having to deal with many closed doors because I'm not "marketable". Jon Bon Jovi is a great songwriter/singer, but it's naive to think that he didn't get some help in his career by being attractive.

It's life. Because you have boobs, there will be guys pursuing you, and you will be judged from a shallow perspective. It's a fact, and accept it. Just be careful to weed out those "yes" people who will fill you full of falsehoods to suit their alterior motives.

I think female singers are great, but hard rock/metal is a tough sell for women. If the music is supposed to deliver a proverbial kick in the teeth and ear-raping, does it have more credibility coming from a 6'3" muscled and tattooed guy who looks like he was spawned from Satan's anus, or a 5'3" girl who looks like she colored her hair black/pink and picked up some rocker accessories from "Hot Topic"? Unfortunately, girls will have a tougher battle to fight. I wish you the best.

Feel fortunate that you are not an ugly overweight guy. With all performance talent being equal, I know which show I'd choose to see if I was given the choice between cute chick fronted band and ugly dude band.

My question is:

work on performing , composing and listening to as much music as possible .
keep update with political news and search for some spirtual views you believe in .
be open to change , listen, try new things .
accept you will be faced with a variety of criticism some intended to build your spirit up and some intended to knock you down .
look to a person's heart see beyond the bull !
If you've got talent, you don't need to worry about being taken seriously. A band that's got potential and ability will be prepared to work around the potential downsides of a female singer (e.g. less range of songs to cover, as an awful lot of popular music will probably be too low for your voice) and will be more than happy to gain the benefits of having a good singer.

If a band think that you're a worse singer because you're female, you don't want to be in that band.

As far as improving your voice to appear a more attractive choice as a singer, practice extending your range, strengthening your voice, and get to understand how guitar and bass work. It'll make working out songs much easier if you know what notes are likely to work well with an Am chord and so on.

What people tend to mean when they say 'girly' is 'weak', although it could simply be that you've got quite a high voice. Practice, practice, practice. :P Put more power behind the notes, and learn to hold them without losing that power.
Quote by GerGuam
^^^^
I'm pretty sure he said "singing", also you are arguing a moot/irrelevant point here. I have no idea why you felt the need to post those lyrics (especially since they are horrible) or provide a song that doesn't even have singing. You should probably keep your "brutal DM" stuff out of a thread about a female singing.

Yes sir!(deletion on the way, even though I consider it a form of singing)
Lots of good advice so far. I agree that, if you are good at what you do, then your voice will speak for itself. Musicians are a lot of things, and sometimes they are pretty stupid, but they often have a good sense of "will this be good for me musically." They know that a good singer will get them further than a bad one. If you are a good singer, you can often choose who you work with. You won't have to beg people to be in a band with you and suffer fools who are only after your body.

As a singer, part of being good is knowing what you are best at. At 17, your voice might not be as 'girly' as it will be in another couple of years or so. That aside, pick repertoire that makes your voice sound great. If you do that, then the whole band - even if they are an average band - will sound great. People know that - even musicians. You might lose all the metalheads, but if that's not your thing, then that is a plus, not a negative. I'd rather choose between 6 musicians that are good and who are well-suited for my material than from 60 wankers who just want to be louder than the other 59.

Finally, being taken seriously means presenting yourself in a way that says, "take me seriously." I'm talking way beyond not giggling at some cute guy's butt, or some other teenage-girly affectation. Learn about the 'business' of music and how things work. Learn about promoters, agents, self-promotion, marketing, merch, copyright law, media exposure, and all the other things that go along with being a person capable of being in the drivers' seat in a band. Try to get out there and meet some of the people in your area who book bands, and that sort of thing. If you know your sh!t, (and most musicians have little clue about any of that stuff), they will have no choice but to take you seriously.

Your dad, by the sounds of things, can be a great resource for you starting to learn all that stuff. He's been there and done that. Don't be afraid to ask him for advice.

CT

(ps.... I'm basically old enough to be your dad....)
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Last edited by axemanchris at Jan 2, 2009,
Oh, yeah, the other thing is: if you're the singer, you'll very probably end up at least partially fronting the band. Be prepared for that opportunity, and all that goes with it.

Onstage banter: Handling hecklers: being a big chunk of the stage presence of the band. It's worth looking at how great frontmen/women do that, because at an audition people will still expect you to show how you'd look on stage.