title explains it partially, but what i wanna know is what are good scales for it, and whats the best way to write them. i want to write a electric guitar rock balad, with keyboards too, have do anyof you have any suggestions for songs i could listen to to get some inspiration. basically just tell me anything that i really need to know to make a rock balad. thnx!

(p.s. yes i am tryin to impress a girl)

and im desperate here! you guys have all been in this situation of trying to impress a girl with a song, and you girls on here can you tell me in general what you like in a love song? thanks! you guys rock! google can die...
Last edited by 5150rando at Sep 22, 2008,
That's a tremendously vague question. Just sit down and analyze some "love songs" to figure out what they're doing. This will benefit you far more in the long run.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
That's a tremendously vague question. Just sit down and analyze some "love songs" to figure out what they're doing. This will benefit you far more in the long run.

i just want to see what other ppls opinions are to help me. i want to know what different ppl think each love song should have cuz i have been trying to make something reminiscent of songs like hysteria (not copying though).
Ninja an aeolian progression (they sound really romantic to me) and write a pretty melody with some pretty words and be prepared to sing (doesnt matter if you sing badly).

Aeolian harmonies usually look like this: Im-bVII-bVI-V7

If this fails, copy parts from good lovesongs no-ones ever heard of. Say, like the progression from a dreamtheater song (I'm thinking, anna lee?) and the singing melody of a basshunter song (Try now you're gone). Dishonest? Yes. Effective? Very.
how musically talented is she? Just play a simple progression like I IV V, come up with a neat strumming pattern or arpeggiate it, then add cheesy romantic lyrics, and BAM! you have a love song just like all the ones on the radio.

but if you actually want it to be good analyze stuff like Romeo And Juliet by Dire Straits, see how they did things, and note that it'll be much better if you

say something like "you and me babe, how bout it?"
Quote by The4thHorsemen
how musically talented is she?
Thank god all the girls I've dated didnt play musical instruments. It would suck having a musician girlfriend, you wouldnt be able to impress her with strummed I-IV-V progressions
Sorry to ninja this thread, demon, why a progression like Im-bVII-bVI-V7

Two non-diatonic chords, what spurred them, why are they there?

In A that would be A-7 Gb-7b5 (I wasnt sure on the chord type) a bVI would be a fifth..

Hold up, are you looking at it from an Ionian point of view?

Being than C-7 - Bb-7b5 - Ab-7 - G7?

Still doesnt make complete sense.
ya know...i played i cum blood to a girl...she loved it... wasnt quite how i planned it

try study that songs lyrics etc

or other love songs ofc...

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Quote by Galvanise69
Sorry to ninja this thread, demon, why a progression like Im-bVII-bVI-V7

Two non-diatonic chords, what spurred them, why are they there?

In A that would be A-7 Gb-7b5 (I wasnt sure on the chord type) a bVI would be a fifth..

Hold up, are you looking at it from an Ionian point of view?

Being than C-7 - Bb-7b5 - Ab-7 - G7?

Still doesnt make complete sense.
I did the lazy thing and ninja that progression from wikipedia, than added a V7 at the end of it for its resolution to i. Not strictly modal (as modal progressions almost always use diatonic notes), but still nice. It makes sense when you look at that progression as being modally aeolian with an out of mode (lol?) chord at the end. I guess its more like a bastardization between aeolian harmonies and a pure minor progression.

If that progression is in A aeolian it would be:
Am - GM - FM - E7
In C it would be:
Cm - BbM - AbM - G7

Keep in mind, uppercase numerals mean MAJOR, lowercase means minor and lowercase with a circle (o or 0 or something) means diminished and uppercase with a plus sign (?) means augmented.
All scale formulas are taken from the perspective of ionian. This is for simplicity.
major scales work fine. you really dont have to really "try" to hard to impress a girl with a guitar - granted she is musicly declined
Quote by LawnDwarf
you really dont have to really "try" to hard to impress a girl with a guitar
You've never had an underaged girlfriend before have you? Next time your single, find youself a girl thats under 17 and play her a song. I'll leave it to you as to what happens next.
How old are you?^ Thats pritty low if your as old as me. I at would least wait till they are 18 for christ sakes. 17 isnt even fair.
Quote by demonofthenight
Ninja an aeolian progression (they sound really romantic to me) and write a pretty melody with some pretty words and be prepared to sing (doesnt matter if you sing badly).

Aeolian harmonies usually look like this: Im-bVII-bVI-V7

If this fails, copy parts from good lovesongs no-ones ever heard of. Say, like the progression from a dreamtheater song (I'm thinking, anna lee?) and the singing melody of a basshunter song (Try now you're gone). Dishonest? Yes. Effective? Very.

hahaha lol
+1
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
If you have a melodic instrumental section, then the lyrics are really going to make or break the song.

WikiHow gives advice on writing poetry (lyrics) and I've scanned the article-looks good.
It might be very old, but I think Mr. Big only wrote love rock ballads...
You should check them out for some inspiration or something, I'm doing just the same
man, this is an old thread, and sorry to unbury it from the depths of hell, but i was a fricken moron!!! jesus christ... man, sorry for all the poor people who read this!!! not only did that girl reject me, i became less of an arrogant yet desperate loser, who not only got wayyyy better at music, but got a couple different girlfriends (all of them sucked), but now i have a girlfriend that I'm actually very serious with. What does this have to do with anything, you ask? Well my friends, i have written almost 4 songs for her, and all of which i'm proud of!!!! Just goes to show, that you dont need to know progressions to do everything, or scales, or modes. Hell, i just sat down, played some basic chords, and formed a riff off of that. Sorry if this is considered a bump, but maybe somebody who read this thread those months ago will read this and go "huh, wow, good for him". also i'm super bored!!!!
I am a Stephenist
Quote by 5150rando
man, this is an old thread, and sorry to unbury it from the depths of hell, but i was a fricken moron!!! jesus christ... man, sorry for all the poor people who read this!!! not only did that girl reject me, i became less of an arrogant yet desperate loser, who not only got wayyyy better at music, but got a couple different girlfriends (all of them sucked), but now i have a girlfriend that I'm actually very serious with. What does this have to do with anything, you ask? Well my friends, i have written almost 4 songs for her, and all of which i'm proud of!!!! Just goes to show, that you dont need to know progressions to do everything, or scales, or modes. Hell, i just sat down, played some basic chords, and formed a riff off of that. Sorry if this is considered a bump, but maybe somebody who read this thread those months ago will read this and go "huh, wow, good for him". also i'm super bored!!!!

good job

it always makes me feel good when i write a song for someone and they really appreciate it

......lol ive written like 11 songs for my girlfriend

=]
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
Quote by 5150rando

Ofcourse it doesn't matter.

The only thing what matters is that you play with conviction and as if you mean it.

Girls will love anything you play, as long as you play inspirational.

They just wanna see a personality.

The "Re-incarnation of Plato" Award 2009
(most intelligent)
The "Good Samaritan" Award 2009 (most helpful)

[font="Palatino Linotype
Who's Andy Timmons??
Last edited by xxdarrenxx at May 26, 2009,