so if i were to spend an hour every day with a metronome working on alternate picking 16th notes at 100 bpm and moving up... what would you say should be the amount of clicks that i/the average guitarist should move up in a week?
whatever youre comfortable with. i usually go up 20 bpm each time till i start messing up, then i slow down and work on that. then the next time, i start a little higher and work up. but it all depends on you
My Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V
"Dante's Inferno" Iceman
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe 112
etc.

Quote by freedoms_stain
I can't imagine anything worse than shagging to Mark Knopfler.

Maybe shagging Mark Knopfler, but that's about it.
everyone's different. You'll find that you can move up pretty quickly for a while, but then things start to get really difficult and you'll seem to move at a turtle-like pace once you hit like the 150-160 range, most likely. It's at that point that you'll move up and down some days just depending on your mood/how warmed up you are/ how awake you are at the moment. Just don't despair, and always put your hour in every day. Progress will happen.

Also, always practice clean, and once you've put in your clean hour, don't forget to distort the s**t out of that thing and have fun with it as your reward for putting in some hardcore practicing.
^ good post. What happens when you hit the turtle pace stage described above is you've basically maxed out how fast you can go with your technique at the level it's at. Once you solve what's stopping you (tension 99% of the time), you make fast progress again. Until....another plateau. Same deal. Solve the technique issue, fast progress again.
Basically, that's the condensed version. The real version takes several years, so a lot of patience is needed. When you hit those plateaus the best thing to do is back the speed off for a while, and concentrate on solving the tension problem.
Quote by Hobo279
everyone's different. You'll find that you can move up pretty quickly for a while, but then things start to get really difficult and you'll seem to move at a turtle-like pace once you hit like the 150-160 range, most likely. It's at that point that you'll move up and down some days just depending on your mood/how warmed up you are/ how awake you are at the moment. Just don't despair, and always put your hour in every day. Progress will happen.

Also, always practice clean, and once you've put in your clean hour, don't forget to distort the s**t out of that thing and have fun with it as your reward for putting in some hardcore practicing.

+1

also, i recommend you get a little diary/log book to write down how many bpm you do 16ths at alternate picking, 16th triplets, 2 string sweeps 3 string sweeps 4 string sweeps and 5 string etc, so you can look at last Monday and this Monday and think, dam i've improved!

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
When I was doing my picking practice, I found that I made the most progress practicing at around 30bpm, which raised my top speed by about 2 "clicks per week". It made the weaker parts of my playing vastly improve though, and the sound of my picking is much more pleasant now.