Alright, I have some questions. See, I am joining my high school marching band, this is my sophomore year and I have no REAL past experience in reading and playing music.

I was wondering if anyone could link to me some tutorials. Also I got another questions.

At my high school football game, and when you are looking at the other side of the stadium, the only other people you can really make out well are the tuba players (their instruments). Well they were playing some weird copy cat game where they would make some movement with their tuba and the other team would do the same.

I also saw them doing what looked to be a taunt, lifting their tuba with their right hand and extending their left arm wiggling their fingers at the other tuba players.

Is this just some weird tuba player tradition, or is it something unique to my county?

Thanks in advanced guys!
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
dude thats exactly what I did
basically, learn the sets first, focus on the music later, unless your the only tuba player.
as for the whole copy cat stuff, that's just pep band stuff
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
Sets? Care to explain? I'm a bit clueless here. Good thing they planned on teaching me and know I have 0 experience, I just wanna prepare myself a bit before January rolls around.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Have you ever done this before? It's freakin' sweet! Earlier today, I was bored as hell just laying on my bed. I had an erection, so I started to use my penis as a gear stick and I was pretending I was driving. Has anyone else here ever tired this?
Oh marching band, my favorite class.
I play first chair mellophone, and I can tell you as a fact, the tuba/sousaphone players are a unique group. You will learn as you play with them, but like the guy above me said, learn the sets first, then focus on the instrument. Try to join concert band also.
But there is one scale in particular you will want to learn. This is concert pitch Bb Major.
Bb, C, D, Eb, F, G, A, Bb. Every beginning student ever will learn that within two weeks of starting.
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Sets are the points you march to in your show, if I'm not mistaken, which I could be.
You march from set to set, after you have said sets memorized, learn the music from your show. And I'm pretty sure that you would learn any of this weird stuff your Tubas do.

Anyways, go for Baritone, if you're a lazy ****, go for Baritone.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Ya each section of every band has their own things they do. Learn the marching first until you can play and march. You'll get the hang of it its not very hard once you figure it out. I'm in my 5th year of marching band (im a freshman at the university of houston) and play trumpet its like 2nd nature to me now.
The set would be the general plan of the show.
Of course, your conductor is gonna yell out to play little phrases like "measure 12-24, don't take the repeat!" which would not be planned.
Take your tuba home and practice.
http://www.expertvillage.com/search.htm?s=tuba
Expert Village is pretty helpful.
It's like Superman reading the teachings of Jesus. The two greatest musicians on Earth hath combined forces. I officially quit music, as it has reached it's zenith with that cover.
Well see, it is odd. I will be joining January... after marching is over and concert begins. So I will be joining concert. I will be learning my music first, sets next year.

I am great friends with all the Tuba players and a lot of other players in the band. I mainly joined for the great bonding experience that exists within my band, and hopes of expanding my musical knowledge.

So yeah, keep the tips comming, especially for concert.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Chuuba!!!!
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
Also, I don't know how much it matters, but I will be playing the Sousaphone variant of the tuba.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Basically, the priority is to learn the notes. Tubas are the bass guitar of the band in a way, they keep the beat. You need to learn the notes, fingerings, names of the notes, and certain marks to tell you what tempo, how loud, etc.

EDIT: To your post above, Sous in concert band? That's weird.
I love Foxy Shazam more than you.

▲ ▲

Quote by Funcoot
So yeah, keep the tips comming, especially for concert.

For concert band, be aware that the conductor will ALWAYS want more of you, unless your section is like 6 members large. Pay special attention to dynamics and articulations, which would be the volume in which you play, and the way you attack the note.
You will learn as you go, don't worry.
I played horn in F my first year, and I'm on my third year now.
Quote by OzarkMDaredevil
Basically, the priority is to learn the notes. Tubas are the bass guitar of the band in a way, they keep the beat. You need to learn the notes, fingerings, names of the notes, and certain marks to tell you what tempo, how loud, etc.

EDIT: To your post above, Sous in concert band? That's weird.

I am pretty sure we use Sous for concert too, I talked to my band director and I asked him if I had to rent an instrument, he said no and he could provide me one and looked over towards the Sousaphones.

My guess is that school funding as been cut so much, we can't really afford too many variants, especially after we just bought a new Baritone.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Quote by Funcoot
I am pretty sure we use Sous for concert too, I talked to my band director and I asked him if I had to rent an instrument, he said no and he could provide me one and looked over towards the Sousaphones.

My guess is that school funding as been cut so much, we can't really afford too many variants, especially after we just bought a new Baritone.

Either that or he is hiding the normal Tubas.
Quote by smirnoff_black
Quote by Funcoot
Either that or he is hiding the normal Tubas.

Yeah, it seems unlikely that you would use sousaphones in concert.
I play horn in F in concert, and mellophone in marching band. Although they are basically the same sound and key, mellophone doesn't cut it in concert band.
Yeah, I talked to one of the tuba players, we use Tubas for concert and they use Sousaphones for marching and pep.

I told a lot of my friends and they are excited (the ones in band). I can't wait, I already talked to my guidance counselor and I will have it next semester (in January till end of school). Then next year I will get to be in marching!
Quote by smirnoff_black