I don't know where else to post this other than the pit, but I want quality answers so I came here. Anyways, I've been hearing lately that lifting weights/working out hurts guitar playing, is this true? If so, I am going to be really upset...
LARGE TEXT
Not true at all. John Petrucci does body building and it doesn't seem to affect him too much.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by gwitersnamps
Not true at all. John Petrucci does body building and it doesn't seem to affect him too much.

But John Petrucci is John Petrucci.
LARGE TEXT
Yeah, naturally it will hurt your guitar playing because the time when you are working out, you could be playing guitar. . . . geez. . . other than that, no, it won't hurt you. . . look at the guys from dillinger escape plan, they are pretty roidous large.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
george lynch claimed it killed his speed, accuracy, and dexterity.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by mikeyElite

I feel my dexterity with barres lowering.

Maybe its just in my head?
LARGE TEXT
Well, I started a light weight lifting regimen this summer while also playing 6 to 7 hours a day , because I felt like my arms were wasting away, and I'm pretty sure it did some damage...
I've never had issues with my hands hurting or falling asleep before but I had some minor issues shortly after I started (I stopped lifting weights right away). My fingers were also stiff and locked upon waking up in the morning too, which I'm almost positive was due to the weight lifting...those problems have subsided, but I don't think I'll be lifting weights again in the near future.

That said, I think it depends on the person and genre...if you play technically demanding things it probably is not a good idea to work out too hard, if you are more into rock, folk or less demanding stuff it might not be an issue. But then look at John Petrucci, he's jacked and he plays really technical stuff, so I really don't know.

I think it's possible you won't do any harm if you work out to stay fit, not to get jacked. Lifting weights that are really pushing your abilities will tighten the muscles and tendons in your arms, wereas I think just taking it kinda slow might not do that quite as much I really don't know. I had a bad experience with lifting and playing, but I think I might've just been pushing myself too hard with the weights.
Okay, so here's the deal, if you see it affecting your playing. Just do some illegal uppers. . . . I know people that are really fast with sweeps and it's cuz they went on speed binges and did nothing but practice sweeps.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Quote by Holy.
I feel my dexterity with barres lowering.

Maybe its just in my head?

Yes it is. Just roll your wrists slowly every now and then. It keeps the joints flexible.

The key thing is lift weights CORRECTLY.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
Quote by InsomniaRocks
Well, I started a light weight lifting regimen this summer while also playing 6 to 7 hours a day , because I felt like my arms were wasting away, and I'm pretty sure it did some damage...
I've never had issues with my hands hurting or falling asleep before but I had some minor issues shortly after I started (I stopped lifting weights right away). My fingers were also stiff and locked upon waking up in the morning too, which I'm almost positive was due to the weight lifting...those problems have subsided, but I don't think I'll be lifting weights again in the near future.

That said, I think it depends on the person and genre...if you play technically demanding things it probably is not a good idea to work out too hard, if you are more into rock, folk or less demanding stuff it might not be an issue. But then look at John Petrucci, he's jacked and he plays really technical stuff, so I really don't know.

I think it's possible you won't do any harm if you work out to stay fit, not to get jacked. Lifting weights that are really pushing your abilities will tighten the muscles and tendons in your arms, wereas I think just taking it kinda slow might not do that quite as much I really don't know. I had a bad experience with lifting and playing, but I think I might've just been pushing myself too hard with the weights.

Hmm.

I still really want to have some bulk, not big, but I want SOMETHING. Maybe I'll do more cardio to keep my muscle level controlled?
LARGE TEXT
Well, you have to ****ing stretch. You're probably feeling rigid and whatnot because you are not doing so. And working out will only hurt after the first few days you start, so obviously you would feel stiff and sore in the beginning. But goddamn, I just had some tough fitness shit (it's not like I have a choice anyways) today, working on my abs and whatnot, and it made me feel good about guitar playing once I got home. So the theory kind of fails. I'm thinking it's just all psychological.
Fill the void *bump bump bump*

Hands optimised for the act of forcibly gripping a weight bar are the complete opposite of what you want for nimbly moving up and down the fretboard....it's brute strength vs dexterity and speed so there's a potential conflict there if you're not sensible about things.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by mikeyElite

Dylan Ruskin says George Lynch is wrong

Seriously, Ruskin is properly bulked up and shreds like a mofo so I don't think it matters as long as you're reasonable.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
Synyster Gates from Avenged Sevenfold is HUGE. He doesn't seem to have trouble playing
Quote by steven seagull
Hands optimised for the act of forcibly gripping a weight bar are the complete opposite of what you want for nimbly moving up and down the fretboard....it's brute strength vs dexterity and speed so there's a potential conflict there if you're not sensible about things.

F=ma

Increasing force will increase speed.
Quote by TunerAddict
F=ma

Increasing force will increase speed.

Actually that equation states that increasing speed (or mass) increases force...

...however that's still irrelevant here as the amount of force required to fret strings on a guitar is minimal, and the mass of a finger is likewise negligible in terms of the effect it has on that equation. What makes things difficult early on is because the skin on the fingertips is soft.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull

Actually that equation states that increasing speed (or mass) increases force...

...however that's still irrelevant here as the amount of force required to fret strings on a guitar is minimal, and the mass of a finger is likewise negligible in terms of the effect it has on that equation. What makes things difficult early on is because the skin on the fingertips is soft.

I wasn't quoting the formula as an example, it was meant more as an allusion to the fact that increasing strength will increase speed if mass does not increase with strength proportionally, which it RARELY does in weight lifting, or any form of exercise that causes muscle gain.

Thus strumming becomes faster as more force is created, thus greater speed is achieved.
Quote by kaosfire
what happened to the general fitness/wieghtlifting thread?

It should be in the pit.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.