Quote by Serious Busines
Guitar instructors are perverts.

haha! I haven't taken any...
Quote by doom3rulz
Did you just call Hoobastank "metal"?
Generally I only really learn something from video lessons, and those tend to be from Paul Gilbert or Marty Friedman. In the end I learn so much stuff that will take me months to master. The best thing i've learned is some string skipping licks from PG.

1980s Ibanez RG470
Epiphone G400
Peavey Vypyr 30
Vox DA5
Vox Cybaby Wah
Monster Cables
and Red Jazz IIIs

I donated 2020 grains of rice

http://freerice.com/index.php
VIBRATO every notes needs VIBRATO
Here lies a problem that most guitar players face in this day of internet tab and short attention spans — they don't know how to express themselves.

-Nick Layton
Music theory.
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
Theory is descriptive, not prescriptive.

Quote by MiKe Hendryckz
theory states 1+1=2 sometimes in music 1+1=3.
Quote by whoisthisguy
VIBRATO every notes needs VIBRATO
Ridiculous. If you use vibrato on every note, it loses its distinctive sound.

Most Valuable Lesson: Play what you hear in your ear. I can fly up and down minor scales all over the neck, but when I listen to the backing and write a melody in my head, that's when my good solos happen. After much practice, you need less than a second to be able to do this when you are improvising; you just know where to find that sound in your head.

That applies to riffs as well. The creative riffs I've made have usually come from me hearing something in my head and then figuring it out.

By the way, this is very hard, requiring a lot of technical practice and ear training.
Most important thing I ever learned from a lesson...

That Hot dogs come in packs of 8, and buns come in packs of 10, so that you always have to buy more hotdogs.

No joke... had a teacher tell me that once. It was some horrible logic behind why he wanted me to not have such good rhythym once. I still don't understand his yoda sayings.

But for a serious answer, I never took many lessons myself, the hotdog thing i mentioned before kinda killed em... but the most important piece of musical advice i didnt learn from a guitar teacher, it was from my high school music theory teacher, after she listened to some recordings I'd done.

She mentioned that, sometimes, perfect theory isnt a requirement for good music. It's good to know, but at the end of teh day, if you only constrict yourself to the set of rules a bunch of old guys in wigs set for you, all you do, is create music that fits in a box, and the best music, is music that breaks convention.

I don't know if I necessarily agree that all great bands break musical conventions in one way or another, but I did agree, that sometimes, to play well in the box, you have to think well out of the box you wish to play in.

As they say, you don't fill a hole with cement.. while you're still standing in it.
Take your time to learn things, go slow, take a break if you're bored.
You are like a hurricane
There's calm in your eye.
And I'm gettin' blown away
To somewhere safer
where the feeling stays.
I want to love you but
I'm getting blown away.
Quote by newguitars08
What is the best thing you have learned taking Guitar Lessons?

I only ever took one lesson, I remember, I played the Minor Pentatonic Scale to him and he said "alternate your strokes, don't do all down strokes". Then he showed me why.... I've alternate picked ever since.
Last edited by mdc at Sep 29, 2008,
^Yeah, that too. I remember my dad used to give me crap about my picking and he'd make me do everything alternate picked. He'd be able to pick out a downstroke from an upstroke without even looking and he'd be like WRONG!. Good times.

Economy picking > Alternate picking

/troll
Alternate picking sounds more agressive than economy picking though, which can be cool in certain situations

The best thing I ever learned was slow practice, like Freepower said it is so helpful no matter what you're playing.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
That's a personal choice you make after you've mastered alternate picking.

each technique gives a different sound. Use the one that give you the sound that you're after.

we have that choice regardless of whether or not we have mastered any of the other picking techniques.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 30, 2008,
Quote by GuitarMunky
mastering alternate picking is irrelevant. Economy picking is just 1 of many techniques for playing notes on your guitar. You don't need to master 1 in order to choose the other.

I agree with you, but personally I think it's much easier to pick up economy picking if you master sweeping and alternate picking.
Quote by GuitarMunky
mastering alternate picking is irrelevant. Economy picking is just 1 of many techniques for playing notes on your guitar. You don't need to master 1 in order to choose the other.
If you can't alternate pick then you can't economy pick. Economy picking is probably 60%-80% alternate picking!

I use a combination of both: strict alternate picking when I am being very deliberate with my playing, such as scale sequencing, and economy when I'm playing a bit looser.

That does not mean economy>alternate, nor does it mean economy picking is what you should do when you're rockin' out to the music and "feelin' it, man!"
Economy picking is essentially alternate picking with a few sweeps to cross strings anyway-why are we still arguing this?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
If you can't alternate pick then you can't economy pick.

thats just not true.

Quote by bangoodcharlote

I use a combination of both: strict alternate picking when I am being very deliberate with my playing, such as scale sequencing, and economy when I'm playing a bit looser.

That does not mean economy>alternate, nor does it mean economy picking is what you should do when you're rockin' out to the music and "feelin' it, man!"

I use whatever gives me an appropriate sound for the situation.

Quote by Myung-trucci
Economy picking is essentially alternate picking with a few sweeps to cross strings anyway-why are we still arguing this?

yup.

Im not arguing.... just pointing out that economy picking is just a technique. Anyone can give it a try regardless of their alternate picking mastery.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Sep 30, 2008,
Considering you can't truly master any technique (you can ALWAYS) get faster I suppose Guitar Munky was right on a technicality....
The best thing I learned from taking guitar lessons was how to play the guitar.

And as far as the picking thing goes...finger picking is the way to go. At least for me. I'm getting quite fast with alternate-finger picking.

I use picks sometimes but they feel unnatural to me. Though sometimes when playing some bluesy stuff it's kinda easier, I guess. I ought to pick up the pick more then, eh?
My guitar taught my how to alternate pick. I'd say I naturally do it, but sometimes you just need to economy pick if the riff or lick requires it and it's just *that* much cleaner each time.

He also taught me most of the theory I know, and a lot of chord knowledge.
Quote by Guns N Russians
finger picking is the way to go. At least for me. I'm getting quite fast with alternate-finger picking.
I'm a terrible fingerstyle player, but if you plan on playing blues, rock, or metal, you should learn to use a pick.

You'll actually combine fingerstyle and alternate/economy picking in what is called hybrid picking: "pick-and-fingers." This allows you to play your crazy shred sweeps and picking sequences, but then you can use your fingers to play something like the ridiculous string skipping in Eric Johnson's "Cliffs of Dover." Using a pick will also allow for not-near-impossible pinch harmonics, which are pretty cool when used tastefully.
Quote by Freepower
^ it's just a matter of starting.
Starting is hard; I'm awful with fingerstyle, but I'm good at alternate and economy picking. Picking up the guitar and sucking when I expect myself to be good, and then practicing hybrid picking or fingerstyle for hours is just no fun. I'll do it eventually, though, I hope.

Discipline, Sue, discipline!
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Starting is hard; I'm awful with fingerstyle, but I'm good at alternate and economy picking. Picking up the guitar and sucking when I expect myself to be good, and then practicing hybrid picking or fingerstyle for hours is just no fun. I'll do it eventually, though, I hope.

Discipline, Sue, discipline!

I'll tell you how I started hybrid picking - you know the riff to The Extremeist by Satch? Use your right 2 and 3 to pluck the high E and B of that riff. It's so much easier it's funny. Sounds better too.