Page 1 of 3
Ok so one day long ago i was listening to music and i decided to listen out for the bass guitar. The problem was i couldn't hear it. Many times since then i have listened to heaps of different songs trying to find the bass. Sometimes i can barely hear it, and sometimes i can hear it well but its extremely plain and boring

It kinda seems like bass guitarists don't get the chance to be creative at all, and if they did it would go unheard of because of the fact that on most songs you can make out the notes the bass guitarist is playing

So pit, can you tell me of good songs from any genre that have audible and interesting bass guitar tracks? And also what are your thoughts on the subject?
Kerry King Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only

Quote by dehollister

and im 14 got any problems ill f*ckin drop you.

HE'LL DO IT

Quote by Kensai
Spooni_Shaq is the best UGer ever, period
by the way the best i can think of is heart shaped box by nirvana
Kerry King Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians only

Quote by dehollister

HE'LL DO IT

Quote by Kensai
Quote by InvaderTSN
Listen to funk. Lots of it.

oh true lol didn't think of that.

i pretty much mainly listen to punk, rock and metal.

Just a little disclaimer: i'm not trying to bring down or insult bassists or anything, its just an observation i've had

Quote by dehollister

HE'LL DO IT

Quote by Kensai
I love bass. It's the most important part. Black Sabbath and Rush are the best. The bass is the perfect volume and blends orgasmically with the drums and guitar. I often listen to the Geezer's and Geddy's bass more than the other instruments.

I hate when the production buries the bass so much you can't hear it.
Listen to lots of Funk.

Then listen to Led Zeppelin, some early Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Incubus and some Pink Floyd probably wouldn't hurt. But Funk is really where it is at bass-wise.

Oh, and go and buy Mars Voltas' Amputechture right meow! And then try to tell me that bassists don't get to be creative.
Some Led Zeppelin (Dazed and Confused)
ALOT of Protest the Hero (Palms Read)
and for sure Red Hot Chili Peppers (Higher Ground)

they all have pretty good basslines
listen to Mr. Big and RHCP.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
Quote by Spooni_Shaq
oh true lol didn't think of that.

i pretty much mainly listen to punk, rock and metal.

Just a little disclaimer: i'm not trying to bring down or insult bassists or anything, its just an observation i've had
There ya go. In punk and rock the bass is for the most part there to thicken out the guitar part, and well it really depends what kind of metal we're talking about, although most metal bands mix their bassists down to practically nothing. All kinds of genres have audible and prominent basslines though. Jazz has the walking bassline, funk has the signature slap riffs, and a lot of motown stuff is loaded with interesting bass.
It just follows the chords of the songs thats the job of the bass in rock and if you dont like it get another instrument or yes listen to funk or reggae or something else?
Specific songs:
Hotel California - The Eagles
Burnin' For You - Blue Oyster Cult
Uno - Muse
Only - Nine Inch Nails
Sanctified - Nine Inch Nails
listen to any Primus song or just Les Claypool song
Quote by Scruff17
Kiss a guy and tell her it means nothing to you. Then die a little inside knowing that it did.

Flippin Tables
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

PSN: Chuche_02
Quote by Trefellin
I love bass. It's the most important part. Black Sabbath and Rush are the best. The bass is the perfect volume and blends orgasmically with the drums and guitar. I often listen to the Geezer's and Geddy's bass more than the other instruments.

++

it takes a trained ear to spot bass in some music where it's not traditionally brought out (funk, jazz, etc.) but playing bass helps. After 3-4 years of playing bass I can spot it in almost any song. ALMOST.
Quote by X Alkaline 3
I dared a Jew to throw rocks at Hitler when he was a young boy..

Never knew he'd take it to heart like that.

iScrobbler

Psalms 62:8
Trust in him at all times; ye people, pour out your heart before him: God is a refuge for us. Selah.
Protest the Hero.

Do it.

Arif is so dominant in that band. He's amazing, as well.

Loads of other bands leap to mind, but I'm lazy at the moment.
Voted 3rd Friendliest User of UG 2010

BUILD A TIME MACHINE, AND JERK OFF IN IT, AND SEND IT TO HITLER!

Saxo-Walrus

Steam & PSN ID: Panopticon20
Quote by Trefellin

... And Justice For All, anyone?
Some bands that come to mind:

- Van Halen
- Red Hot Chili Peppers
- Muse
- Primus
- Stuff by Marcus Miller (idk his band's name)
- Black Sabbath
- Dream Theater
- GNR
- Iron Maiden
- Rage Against the Machine
Quote by Spooni_Shaq
Ok so one day long ago i was listening to music and i decided to listen out for the bass guitar. The problem was i couldn't hear it. Many times since then i have listened to heaps of different songs trying to find the bass. Sometimes i can barely hear it, and sometimes i can hear it well but its extremely plain and boring

It kinda seems like bass guitarists don't get the chance to be creative at all, and if they did it would go unheard of because of the fact that on most songs you can make out the notes the bass guitarist is playing

So pit, can you tell me of good songs from any genre that have audible and interesting bass guitar tracks? And also what are your thoughts on the subject?

Primus has craploads of bass.... some not even bass guitar. lol.

Megadeth has some SICK bass lines in a couple songs (some where the bass is the entire intro to the song... or some where there some awesomesauce runs on the bass that normally you'd think a lead guitar would be doing instead...)

Or get psychedelic and listen to some funk :P
Quote by OrangePossum
... And Justice For All, anyone?

yes i've heard how metallica is known to kill of the bass in their albums

is there any thrash with good bass?

Quote by dehollister

HE'LL DO IT

Quote by Kensai
Black Sabbath, look up Bassically/N.I.B, or any Sabbath song, theyre all good

Im a sab fan boy
If your into Punk then Fat Mike from NoFX has a lot of songs where you can hear his bass. He's actually not bad too. You always have Geeze Butler from Black Sabbath to isten to, Steve Harris from Iron Maiden, John Paul Jones from Led Zeppelin, Flea from RHCP, Justin Chancellor from Tool. That's a few popular ones I could think of real quick like
I am the Stig.
Quote by Spooni_Shaq
yes i've heard how metallica is known to kill of the bass in their albums

is there any thrash with good bass?

I really enjoyed Megadeth's Rust in Peace. The bass was really punchy.
Quote by Seryaph
Listen to lots of Funk.

Then listen to Led Zeppelin, some early Red Hot Chilli Peppers and Incubus and some Pink Floyd probably wouldn't hurt. But Funk is really where it is at bass-wise.

Oh, and go and buy Mars Voltas' Amputechture right meow! And then try to tell me that bassists don't get to be creative.

I prefer more recent Chili Peppers and there is still alot of bass in there and also Primus.
Due what you want as long as you vote Due!
ffs man, listen to the chili peppers!!
Jackson DKMG Dinky, Ibanez RG 7321, Ibanez RG 350EX
Bugera 6262-212 (120 watt), Line 6 Spider lll (30 watt)

Pearl Forum Series Drums
Sabian B8 Cymbals (ride, hi-hats, 3x crash, splash)
try listening to anything from james jamerson arguably the best bassist ever!
Tool, 3, Planet X, Opeth (sometimes), Pink Floyd, GnR (sometimes), Blotted Science, Les Claypool, Protest the Hero, most instrumental bands... There are a few bands out there that know how to mix the bass. Funk and jazz really have it going on though.
FYI, low-bitrate formats tend to suck the bass as well. If you really want to hear the bass, rip at a high bitrate, or better yet go lossless or listen to the original CD.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Sep 23, 2008,
Interpol, Interpol, Interpol.

They basically treat all instruments with equal affection. You can always hear both guitars, the bass, and the drums. And the music is ****ing awesome

Also listen to some James Gang. Power trios usually have quite audible and awesome bass and drums. Also give Rush a listen I'd imagine.

Kasabian often use the bass as the basis of their songs.
most Muse. Primus. I hate them, but Iron Maiden's Steve Harris does stand out in the mix. Queen has some standout lines, Another One Bites The Dust anyone?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Maiden and Priest is all you need to hear for bass. Testament and some Slayer and Megadeth can also be good chioces, if you prefer heavier stuff.
Gear:
Gibson Flying V
Jackson RR3 w/ Zakk Wylde EMG's
'89 Marshall 8240 Combo Amp
Marshall MG10 CD
Boss MT-2
Dunlop Dime Crybaby From Hell
maiden
led zep
skynyrd
floyd

thats all u need my friend
In diesem Herz hab ich die Macht.

Gear:
Fender MIM HSS Strat (Wine Red)
VOX Valvetronix VT20+
Kay K390 Acoustic
skynyd, sporkface?what?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Page 1 of 3