Ok so I am pretty happy with my current rig (I am a beginner) which is a Dean Vendetta XM and a Peavey Transtube 28. However, I have about $500 to spend and I think its time for some pedal action. This is my plan.

1.Get a Boss GT-8 from a high rated seller off of ebay for around $300. It will give me distortion, overdrive, high gain, compressor, noise gate, EQ, and other necessary effects not only for rock, but for other genres too.

2. Spend the rest to switch out my stock pickups for some EMGs. I am happy with my amp's sound but I think active pickups will help me finish my tone search and help my tapping sound better.

Please tell me what you think of my investment. If you have suggestions or changes that would better me, please tell it. I play mostly rock, alt, metal, hardcore, metalcore.

Oh and may someone please compare Gibson pickups to EMGs. My friend says for a good hardcore tone, Gibson pickups rock.
I recommend that you buy a better amp - I know its not what you want to hear, but it will benefit you more.

If you get the GT-8 it will be fun to play around with for a couple weeks but then you will get tired of it and realize that you really have no use for the majority of the effects and features that it has to offer.

As far as switching to EMGs, it really won't effect your tone that much. SS amps aren't very responsive to different pickups so, although there will be a slight change in tone it won't be enough to justify spending $200 on new pickups. Not to mention that EMGs are designed to drive tube amps so they really wont have that "active pickup" effect on a solid state amp. Also, a $100 guitar really isn't worth upgrading imo.
^+1,ooo

$500?

total music budget?
music pref?
home or jam?
closest city?

no offense, but i've been there. A Multi-pedal and new pickups is not necessarily the answer. Forget about EMGs and digital processors (unless that is truely what you want).

if you can't check the boxes then you/we waste time.
So if Im looking for a good amp that can play stuff from screamo to tech death metal, would a Line 6 Spyder III 75 watt be a good amp?
no

Within that price range (just under 300):
Valvetronix
Roland Cube 30
...are the best two options.

Crate V
Frontman
...are the next best two.

Spiders
MGs
...you should strictly avoid.

You'll have to listen for yourself, and you might find some non-major brand that's pretty good also after you've checked out a few different amps
500? I'd say lay low for a 5150 combo, that would have all the gain you could ever want.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
^+1,ooo

$500?

total music budget?
music pref?
home or jam?
closest city?

if you can't check the boxes then you/we waste time.

Please answer these questions. Kevin is right, but if you are just playing at home a 5150 is going to be massive overkill without an attenuator. (Which Kevin would have rec'd if you said just home use).
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.
Nah, I wouldn't use an attenuator for a 5150, I'd just keep the master low, for those genres I think you'd be fine without power amp saturation. The being said, I wouldn't rec a 5150 unless you were unsatisfied with the cubes and vypyrs which would be much better for bedroom use.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Nah, I wouldn't use an attenuator for a 5150, I'd just keep the master low, for those genres I think you'd be fine without power amp saturation. The being said, I wouldn't rec a 5150 unless you were unsatisfied with the cubes and vypyrs which would be much better for bedroom use.

it still sounds thin, weak, and buzzy uncranked
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
OK here is what Im working with:
1. Have about a $300-350 budget.
2. I play mostly screamo and post-hardcore but also do rock, blues, and metal (all kinds).
3. This is for home use but would one day like to do little gigs.
4. Closest city is Tampa, FL.

The reason I mentioned the Spider is because it was in the budget, could get loud, and had many different amp models built in. I would like to achieve distortion, overdrive, and high gain by spending a least as possible.
Quote by Kevin Saale

Yeah it doesn't sound very good unless you drive it a little, on really really low volumes i can't tell the difference between it and the Spider II i had. The 5150 just was noisier.
Guitar:
Schecter Omen 6 (Dimarzio X2N & Tone Zone)
Amps:
Engl Fireball
Genz Benz G-Flex 2x12 Cab
http://tampa.craigslist.org/pnl/msg/857293999.html VK $325 - Should be $300 or under.
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/msg/847718964.html Marshall AVT50 Hybrid, $200
http://tampa.craigslist.org/hil/msg/861397159.html Roland Cube 60.

So you have one tube, one hybrid, and one SS to chose from. There is a 5150 combo but it's way out of range and $700. Certainly try the Vypyr, it's new and getting great reviews.
I wondered why the frisbee was getting bigger, then it hit me.