So, during the summer when I am working (have money) and have the time... I want to customize a cheap guitar just for a personal project...

As SX guitars certainly don't work well out of the box, would they be suitable if I were to change almost everything (excluding the wood)?

If yes, what brands of hardware (bridges, tuners, electronics) should I be looking at to fit an SX strat...

Are there companies that specialize in making "replacement" parts for strats (like Fender strats)?

Do SX strats match up with specifications/measurements to any Fender strats?
a better starting point for a cheap customizing job would be a squier from the vintage modified series.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by roshjosh
B-b-but the SX is only $100 bucks...

yeah, they arent a bad starting point but with all the stuff you'd be replacing you'd be better off with a VM squier. i promise it'll wipe the floor with an sx, especially when it comes to the neck.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
i'll second the squier vintage modified or the classic vibe series but it costs more than the SX. it's better than an SX though. way better, imo.
Ibanez RG321MH (Air Classic/Tone Zone)
Fernandes Telecaster (Twang King/stock bridge pickup)
Blackstar HT-20 (Scumback 55 speaker/ Tung Sol tubes)
TC Electronic Nova Repeater
Lava Cables Clear Connect, Soar and Mini ELC
And, changing all the electronics'll cost more that the Squier and things. If you don't like the sound of the Squier, then swap the pups, it would be cheaper, and you wouldn't have to change anything else.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Well, it's sort of my point... I plan on switching electronics and really changing everything.

My big concern (even with the Squier) is whether or not I'm going to have to do routing for a new bridge.
Quote by roshjosh
Well, it's sort of my point... I plan on switching electronics and really changing everything.

My big concern (even with the Squier) is whether or not I'm going to have to do routing for a new bridge.

Nope, unless you choose something other than a Strat style bridge. You'd have to go with a 6 point bridge though, instead of a 2 point, I think.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Hm, maybe buy an Earvana nut, a US fender 2 point (or a wilkinson VS100) bridge, locking tuners, a rewire (Come on, Duncan designed aren't THAT bad...) and that's about it. I'd suggest the Squier as well. Squier FTW.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.