So where I live, if you play guitar you love Slash and Metallica, however there are a very small amount of us who love Bad Religion, NOFX, Dead Kennedys, The Replacements, The Ramones, The Clash, The Adicts, Against Me, and many other punk bands, the problem, there is no connection between us like there is in the metal community, so I got a band, I know of four other punk bands, we're thinking of doign a show around halloween (we all do a misfits cover song, jsut because we can) we're hoping we can get a halfway decent scene going with more punk shows and bands, so my question is, what do most of you do to keep the scene alive? And just for the sake of shameless self promotion
www.myspace.com/donkeypunchersmyspace
Quote by Damien_Torrence
So where I live, if you play guitar you love Slash and Metallica, however there are a very small amount of us who love Bad Religion, NOFX, Dead Kennedys, The Replacements, The Ramones, The Clash, The Adicts, Against Me, and many other punk bands, the problem, there is no connection between us like there is in the metal community, so I got a band, I know of four other punk bands, we're thinking of doign a show around halloween (we all do a misfits cover song, jsut because we can) we're hoping we can get a halfway decent scene going with more punk shows and bands, so my question is, what do most of you do to keep the scene alive? And just for the sake of shameless self promotion
Talk to whyvern. He knows everything about anything punk and DIY.
Journalism is just a gun. It's only got one bullet in it, but if you aim right, that's all you need. Aim it right, and you can blow a kneecap off the world.
Quote by RockThe40oz
First of all, where do you live? Often people have a scene right under their noses but just can't find it.

*raises hand*
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
Quote by opivy21
Shoot steroids in its ballsack.

Thats pretty much it. The best way to kickstart any kind of scene, no matter where you are, is to play one kickass riot evoking show after another. People will catch on.
Quote by Damien_Torrence
I live in the most conservtative part of California, the central valley

don't mean shit
Dick+strings= owww
Quote by Damien_Torrence
I live in the most conservtative part of California, the central valley

who gives a fcuk?! religous right-wing nut jobs are the easiest people to piss off!
If you live in Torrence like yer name would suggest there's actually a punk scene there. I don't know much about it but I remember reading in MRR about it.

You should write a letter to Maximum Rock and Roll asking people for advice on how to build a viable punk rock community in yer town. They might tell ya to just move to San Francisco like they did or they might actually be able to help ya.

(That's just a joke, I love MRR and all the people that work for it and are involved in the SF scene are super nice and awesome)
HELP ME I'M TRAPPED IN A HUMAN BODY!
Quote by PenFighter19
who gives a fcuk?! religous right-wing nut jobs are the easiest people to piss off!

this man speaks the truth
Dick+strings= owww
1) Start a band, plaster your town with flyers, 4 people show up
2) Play another show, plaster your town with flyers, 10 people show up
3) Play another show, plaster your town with flyers, 25 people show up

Ect.

It's like a punk rock pyramid scheme.
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Damien_Torrence

It's a new school year. During lunch, look for the freshmen sitting alone. Invite them to your table to eat with you, they'll probably become part of your scene. As for shows, just do what you're doing and hand out flyers, make sure people know who you are.
Dickless.
Quote by Damien_Torrence
there are a very small amount of us who love NOFX or Against Me

This is the way it should stay.

Anyway, Element basically has the right idea.
Kickstart my heart.
My style is impetuous.
My defense is impregnable, and I'm just ferocious.
I want your heart.
I want to eat your children.

-Mike Tyson
Set up a show. Then tell all yr friends to tell all their friends to tell all their friends to come.

Then ten to fifteen people will show up, and you'll have a blast!
Book shows, play shows, and tell EVERYONE about it. Rinse. Repeat.
I'm the type of nigga that's built to last
If you fuck with me, I'll put my foot in your ass
See, I don't give a fuck cause I keep bailin
Yo, what the fuck are they yellin?!

GANGSTA, GANGSTA
Make sure and play lots of over-done Rancid/Op Ivy covers. Scenes need that.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
Quote by Cory Smash
Make sure and play lots of over-done Rancid/Op Ivy covers. Scenes need that.

cool bands
but...
Suicidal Tendencies idea is much better
Dick+strings= owww
my band kind of lucked out
i live in a town of only 5000
currently the scene is dead due to overcharging from rental halls ($700 for a night? **** off)
but over the last two years, weve played for no less than 50 kids a night
pretty insane...
well were i'm from we have a hardcore punk scene, everyone is into the music you like so its too bad you don't live here haha. but all of the bands here just started to rent out halls and doing like monthly shows called 5 Bands, 5 Bucks, and that just got everyone into the scene, they made sure to make posters and put them up at the schools and theatres and fast food joints, and just got all there friends to tell there other friends to tell some friends and you know how word of mouth works haha. you just gotta get those first few shows done and you'll be fine, get those other 4 bands or w/e to pitch in and you can all fudn a show, and even the metal kids might show up and have a sweet time! good luck