hey there everyone.

i'm in a Alternative/Emo/Hardcore kinda band (also reffered to as Post-Hardcore). And just before you might pay us out, no we don't have black hair, we don't hate life we don't die. We are a christian band.

we want to write lyrics that mean something to us, and we want riffs that sorta sound like a mixture of Saosin, Anberlin and Underoath. SO if we could have some ideas, techniques and help on music and lyrics, please repost to this thread. Thanks
listen to as i lay dying
they dont write stuff about death or suicide, they write about hope and forgivness so maybe something along those lines. shining light glowing forth beyond the clouds or something they were just 2 second lyrics as an example but yea..
for riffs or anything music related id say listen to parkway drive or yea even underoath for maybe harmonised riffs between two guitarists..
i hope i helped out abit
Just what society needs, more Christian bands.

I kid. But analyze the music they play, and interpret as you want. Don't directly take from them, and don't even use them as a guiding hand.
basically, just keep a 4/4 or 6/4 time signature and have two open palm mutes before every 4 note riff.

it isn't hard at all. but i wouldn't suggest it, because its going to go out of style in 3 years...

COMEDY! PROGRESSIVE! PUNK!

Quote by darkrikku

MY SETUP
ESP Ltd. F-100FM
DiMarzio PAF Pro DP151
John Pearse #2500 Strings
Crate GTX65
Behringer Ultrastack BG412H
Quote by Falling Numbers
hey there everyone.

i'm in a Alternative/Emo/Hardcore kinda band (also reffered to as Post-Hardcore). And just before you might pay us out, no we don't have black hair, we don't hate life we don't die. We are a christian band.

we want to write lyrics that mean something to us, and we want riffs that sorta sound like a mixture of Saosin, Anberlin and Underoath. SO if we could have some ideas, techniques and help on music and lyrics, please repost to this thread. Thanks
I lol'd

I could guess that this would mean alot of chugged riffs with powerchords on stressed beats? Probably a few solos using pentatonics? Probably a diatonic singing melody? Some emo songs have really awesome singing melodies, yet hardcore music would probably have simpler singing melodies.

Lyrically, use alot of dark imagery. Alot of poets describe most words as on a scale of dark and light. Use more darker lyrics. You might want to use a few lighter lyrics for chorus though. I wouldnt really know, I'm a crappy lyricist.

Quote by Darth
it isn't hard at all. but i wouldn't suggest it, because its going to go out of style in 3 years...
I lol'd even harder. Since when do we write music because its in style? Unless you're a band thats out to make money, write and play for fun.
Not much on lyrics. But coming up with something that sounds good isnt as hard as it seems. Sometimes i play a bunch of songs i know at once and kinda put parts together that sound good, then just play with it until it is completely your own thing and is nothing like the other songs (no copyright issues). Play different chords you know (or jsut bar/power chords) and put them together in different orders until you can get one that sounds good. I dunno it works for me.
Quote by Falling Numbers
one more question, what is a good scale to work from?

There's no such thing. And scale can be used in any genre. It depends on how you phrase it.
i think youd probably want some kind of minor scale probably the one your bottom strings tuned too because then the chugging and breakdowns and whatnot are using the root note of your scale
Dan The Man Of the Australia FTW! Club. PM Alter-Bridge or The_Random_Hero to join. Australians Only

Gear Fund 1000/ ???

Yes his name is Dan
Quote by Falling Numbers
one more question, what is a good scale to work from?
Pentatonics for soloing, major scales for singing melodies.