Page 1 of 2
Several people are feared dead, with more injured, after a man opened fire at a college in western Finland.

Police said the gunman, thought to be a 22-year-old student, was then disarmed, but local media say he shot himself.

He was carrying an automatic weapon and wearing a ski mask when he entered the college in Kauhajoki, reports said.

Last November a student shot dead eight people at a school in Tuusula. Gun ownership in Finland is among the highest in the world.

Media reports said the shootings began Tuesday just before 1100 local time (0800 GMT), when some 200 students were in the building.

A BBC correspondent in Finland said a gunman dressed in black was seen at the school, apparently carrying an automatic weapon.

A man with a ski mask was seen entering the building with a large bag, national broadcaster YLE reported. Shots were fired soon afterwards.

Police ordered an evacuation and called for reinforcements, with local reports saying the country's heavy weapons squad was heading to Kauhajoki.

The gunman remained at large within the college grounds for some time before police apparently restrained and disarmed him.

"I just heard from the police radio that the shooter has been caught. He no longer has a gun," a police spokesman told the AFP news agency.

But hospital sources and the mayor of the town were later quoted as saying the attacker had turned his gun on himself.

There were reports of a fire at the site and of at least one injured girl leaving the school covered in blood, our correspondent says.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7630969.stm

So sad...
Rig:

Gibson ES-335
Peavy Classic 30
Oh man that sucks. I know what will be blamed...

Video games, music, films anything but the parents, guardians.......
they'll blame death/black metal... or marilyn manson.

everyone else does.

... funny how it's never the gangsta rap in which every other word is 'gun' or 'kill' that gets blamed.
Gun ownership in Finland is among the highest in the world

that reallys surprising
Sig space available, give me some praise
Quote by GNR's Fan
Video games, music, films anything but the parents, guardians.......

Yip.
Quote by Shyne

everyone else does.

... funny how it's never the gangsta rap in which every other word is 'gun' or 'kill' that gets blamed.

It's funny how the parents never get blamed.
Quote by dark&broken
I'd like to see any of those meathead homophobes look a Spartan in the eye and call him a fag.

It's because of metal obviously.
Before metal no-one ever got shot.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
It's because of metal obviously.
Before metal no-one ever got shot.

That's because guns are made out of metal olololol
RULE BRITANNIA
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
That's because guns are made out of metal olololol

"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
I'm so sad and pissed. I'm not sure but there might be already more victims than in the previous school shooting....

EDIT: Confirmed, at least 10 dead.....
Last edited by Naem at Sep 23, 2008,
I'm actually finding myself half crying right now. There's been nothing like this here before, but then one guy starts it, and now its happened twice in less than a year. The "gun ownership in Finland is among the highest in the world" is mainly because of hunting when people can have 30 weapons at home, but still... This really sucks. And this guy propbaly just "did it for fun", since he came dressed as a****ing commando or something.
The gunman is the only one to blame.
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
Quote by ross1234
that reallys surprising

It is, even for me. According to wikipedia there were over 1,6 million registered guns in Finland in 2006, and our population is only 5,3 million. I guess there are a lot more hunters out there than I thought.

That just seems so unreal. I know my hillbilly uncle who lives in the middle of nowhere has at least 5-6 guns and my grandpa had a smallbore rifle, but I've never met anyone in the city who owns one or even considered getting one. This is not the wild west (aka America) where people keep a Desert Eagle under their pillow in case of a robbery.
I'm dancing in the moonlight
It's caught me in its spotlight
Dancing in the moonlight
On this long hot summer night

Martin D-28
Quote by Chips-
It is, even for me. According to wikipedia there were over 1,6 million registered guns in Finland in 2006, and our population is only 5,3 million. I guess there are a lot more hunters out there than I thought.

That just seems so unreal. I know my hillbilly uncle who lives in the middle of nowhere has at least 5-6 guns and my grandpa had a smallbore rifle, but I've never met anyone in the city who owns one or even considered getting one. This is not the wild west (aka America) where people keep a Desert Eagle under their pillow in case of a robbery.

We just him them with the vodka bottle instead

Do you have a rule against having more than 2 lines in a row, TS?

On a more serious note, this is a perfect example of why a right to bare arms is a not so smart law: "Gun ownership in Finland is among the highest in the world."
Quote by fretsonfire74
Do you have a rule against having more than 2 lines in a row, TS?

Hey

At least

It's not like

Free Verse poems!
Quote by Cobain_Is_King
All joking aside, this really is terrible. Condolences to all those affected.

Agreed.
Turns out that the shooter had been at the police station yestersay for questioning because of his youtube videos, but the police decided that he could keep his firearms license
One of my classmate's sister's daughter was in that school, she got out alive

Very bad news, but somehow I wasn't very surprised when I heard about it in school today
I’m not the man I used to be, I... I can’t go back to Arkham.

I... I should return to Arkham.

Among the churchyard’s mouldering stones I recognise a name – my own.
I have come home to Arkham.

Quote by Shyne

everyone else does.

Hip hop is blamed as much, if not more than metal.. Eminem was blamed quite a bit after Columbine.

I dunno why anyone bothers blaming parents or anything at all. Human nature, and just being screwy seems to be the cause.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

Yeah, write to my fanclub about it, honey.
Last edited by Jack Off Jill at Sep 23, 2008,
these school shooters are just desperate for attention
GEAR

Ibanez sr506
Yamaha RBX170
Squier strat...
Hughes&Kettner Basskick BK300

Quote by ChemicalFire
Where's my lynching bat?
Quote by Han0s
these school shooters are just desperate for attention

Definitely. Thats why they can kill themselves at the end. So they can be around to enjoy the attention.
Quote by vintage x metal
I love you =] I can't say I was very fond of you when we first started talking because you trolled the hell out of my threads, but after talking to you here I've grown very attached to you.

I feel that I have to put this out there even though I don't want to touch this subject with a 12 foot pole. I think it's quite naïve to disregard the correlation between gun ownership in a country and events such as these...
Rig:

Gibson ES-335
Peavy Classic 30
Quote by Jack Off Jill
Hip hop is blamed as much, if not more than metal.. Eminem was blamed quite a bit after Columbine.

I dunno why anyone bothers blaming parents or anything at all. Human nature, and just being screwy seems to be the cause.

Fair enough, though. I love Eminem and his music doesn't really promote gun crime, I do find a lot of Hip Hop does. To me metal just describes events in a ROOOAAAAR way, hip hop is actually like "guns are awesome I shot someone for wearing the same bling as me, what a ho!"

Anyway this is a tragedy. Gun nuts where are you now?
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
150 Km (90 miles) from my town , second time in our country now I don't feel really safe going to school now.
Guitars

- Epiphone Les Paul Standard Ebony Finish
- Hohner Hc-06 Classical guitar

Amplifiers

-Roland Cube 30x
Effects
- Vox Wah-wah
Quote by rickmeister
Fair enough, though. I love Eminem and his music doesn't really promote gun crime, I do find a lot of Hip Hop does. To me metal just describes events in a ROOOAAAAR way, hip hop is actually like "guns are awesome I shot someone for wearing the same bling as me, what a ho!"

Anyway this is a tragedy. Gun nuts where are you now?

Example please.

Though, I could find several Eminem songs, taken out of context, that could be construed as promoting gun crimes. Especially once Columbine happened and he referenced it in songs.

..Or, you know.. Kim. Though, that was a knife.
Quote by vintage x metal

You see the barrell turnin'
You feel the hollows burnin'
Nigga now you learnin'
Nigga, my gun go off

Call it attempted murder
Nigga I'm trying to merk you,
When I come back bustin'
Nigga, my gun go off

Don't try to say I'm trippin'
When I get to flippin'
Then I smack the clip in,
Nigga, my gun go off

We call it putting work in,
Leaving niggas hurting,
Homocide's learkin'
My gun go off

50 Cent, one of the most popular hip hop artists of all time.

Yeah I know that Kim song, to me it doesn't promote what he's doing. I was 12 when I heard that song and horrified by it. It isn't like "my bitch cheated on me so I'm gonna get her back! HELLS YEAH!" it's more like he's completely ****ed up from her cheating on him and he says he still loves her and he just goes crazy. That's more telling a story than promoting violence.
Jackson RR5
Epiphone LP Standard
Ibanez S370
Marshall JCM 800 4103 Combo
Roland Cube 60
Page 1 of 2