Hello
Ladies And Gentlemen of UG

Theres a thing that has been on my mind for a while and it's about Power chords.
I know the Power chord where to put my fingers on the fretboard to get the power chord of my choice.
(i guess you can call that the theory part sort of)

But My technique/Fingering of getting my Power chord of chocie seems wrong.

Ok heres how i do it most of the time lets say ill wanna play a
G5 power Chord
-5--
-5--
-3--

Ill Use my Index Finge on (3) then Ring finger on(5) Then Pinky on(5)

But i will Bar the last two notes whith My ring finger and Pinky
Just pressing down on the strings,my finger will be like flat on them fretboard and not in a curved form of way

And i wont be pressing down on the string whith the Tip of my fingers,like you whould do if you made a D Major Chord

And sometimes i just bar the last two notes whith my pinky thus just using 2 gingers for 3 strings.
It' seems very wrong too me.
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.
I'm pretty sure James Hetfield plays with his pinky and ring finger like you do. As long as it feels comfortable and sounds ok I think your fine!
(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")
Help Bunny gain world domination by copying and pasting him in your sig or webpage.

ANDY!!!
that sounds really awkward....:/

have you tried just going ahead and "fixing" it? from now on just start playing with more curved fingers if that's how you want yourself to play it.
...Nothing you've ever...
...Planned on ever turned out...
...The way you planned...

...You're still disappointing them...
Ok... I don't understand what you're saying?

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
i used to play like that till i got the hang of them. Then i switched to using both my ring and pinky, felt more natural to me i guess. Its whatever feels more comfortable. I've only been playing guitar for about a year, but I found the most general rule is whatever you feel comfortable with.
That's how I play it, bar on 5th fret, go with what your comfortable with, although doing a spiderchord (Megadeth technique) is awkward using the same finger technique though.
There is no wrong way to play powerchords. I've seen every possible position you could use for powerchords and they're all fine. Use what is comfortable for you.
Thanks for the Replys

I Think iam gonna try whith the 1 Finger per string now,it feels pretty good holding it that way only problem now for me is that i cant switch my chords as fast as before,but i guess i just hafto practice to get used to the new position

Like this guy is playing them @3:40
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ySac77cTD7s
If You See Me Posting In The Pit HIT ME.
Quote by KingJak236
My hamster used to bite me when I picked it up, then it got too old and fat to bite and died in a pool of it's own vomit.

Quote by Kensai
That's the rockstar way to go. I salute him.