Do I use a chord progression with the major seventh or stick to a natural minor to accentuate the atonality of the major seventh?

It's been bugging me forever

Thanks.
hue
you usually just use a chord that in a natural minor, would simply be a minor chord, but in a harmonic minor, it becomes major

for example, lets use A harmonic minor
E minor becomes E major, as the note G in the scale of A minor is changed to G# in A harmonic minor

so you use E major instead of E minor
in soloing, just make sure when an E major is being played, don't hit a G note, instead play a G#, it sounds wicked too

hopefully that was some help to you
Quotes from other UGers in your signatures that talk about how good you are suck donkey schlong.
^ good info!
but you can use a natural minor chord as well. For example: if you play an A harmonic minor over a D minor key, the seventh really pops! But then again, in this example the seventh of A harmonic minor is G# while the 4th of D minor is G so it is actually a-tonal, but still "sounds" good.

Now if you played A harmonic minor over A minor the 7th would be a-tonal but totaly do-able. You just gotta do it a bunch of times till you get a feel for it. You'll see this in bulgarian music a good bit.
Out here you've gotta know where your towel is!
Last edited by ValoRhoads at Sep 23, 2008,
Harmonic Minor would typically be used to create a progression such as Am G F E7; the first three chords come from A Natural Minor and E7 comes from A Harmonic Minor. One doesn't typically compose strictly in pure harmonic minor.
There is no one right way to do anything in music.
Quote by H4T3BR33D3R
Way to show everybody up jackass.

Guitar: _______________ Amp:
_ Ibanez SZ320 _________Fender Hot Rod Deluxe

V-Picks!
Quote by Exo M7
Yeah, there is. Trying to write a singing melody atonally is wrong. Trying to make direct m2's sound good is wrong. Repeating a single note (without any other note) and calling it a melody is wrong (and VERY common). Using a behringer amp/guitar is wrong.

Should I continue?
Quote by demonofthenight
Yeah, there is. Trying to write a singing melody atonally is wrong. Trying to make direct m2's sound good is wrong. Repeating a single note (without any other note) and calling it a melody is wrong (and VERY common). Using a behringer amp/guitar is wrong.

Should I continue?

Actually I've played a behringer and it had one of the nicest feels to it that I've ever felt. Nice and light, good action, nice tone.

Weird shape... but still great to play.
hue
ideally when you want a diatonic sound over an i iv V i progression (a minor one chord and a major 5 chord).
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Harmonic Minor would typically be used to create a progression such as Am G F E7; the first three chords come from A Natural Minor and E7 comes from A Harmonic Minor. One doesn't typically compose strictly in pure harmonic minor.

Yeah. Harmonic minor and natural minor walk hand in hand when you're playing over a typical minor thing.
Quote by Exo M7

+11111
my 6 best friends:
Ibanez Artcore AF75
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
LTD H-207 7 string
Ibanez Acoustic
harmonicly every dominant has to be a major so yea. but if you are not using the dominant for suspension (which is what you use it for) a regular b7 will sufice. if you are not composing a classical piece it is also appropriate to solo with with the natural.
The harmonic minor scale was essentially created to derive a V chord from it. It's primary use is thus over a V chord. So really, the "traditional" way to go about it would be to stick to natural minor until you run into a V chord or variant of it. As for writing chords themselves, just about any v in a minor key can be substituted with a V, especially if it heads back to the i.
+11111

"ignorance and creativity don't mix... and never will"

Call me Batman.