Ok... I ordered velvet revolver's "Contraband" on thursday and it got here today. The cd has a little image/icon that says "copy control" on it. I stuck the cd into my computer so i could upload it for my ipod ... but, well, i can't. It will only upload the first 10seconds of each song for some reason. I was going to email someone about it to help fix this problem, but seeing as though im here I'm going to just ask the pit and see if anyone here can help? The website tells me that it wont affect the playing standards/performance when played in a cd player but not about uploading it to my computer. (I dont actually have a cd player.)

So 3 questions;

1) How many of you actually own a cd that has this icon on?
2) (If you do own any cds with it on) how many cds have you seen this on?
3) (The main question) How do i fix the problem i'm having with uploading it? ... Or can i not?

This is the site on the copy control sticker http://www.bmgcopycontrol.info/
Never buy albums with this shit on. If I can't listen to a record how I want then forget it.
I'd download it. You've paid for it, you deserve to be able to listen to it the way you want. Torrent it.

DON'T MAKE ME DESTROY YOU!

TURN OFF YOUR MIND RELAX AND FLOAT DOWNSTREAM

Quote by Scumbag1792
My God, this must be the smartest/greatest guy ever.
Damn, never seen those before. You could just listen to the first 10 seconds of each song then use your imagination.
Quote by whalepudding
That is the most Australian post I've ever seen.

Fuckin' oath, fella!!
Quote by 'GoodnightHero'
i absolutely fucking love you.
and it has nothing to do with your lego ACDC fetish.

Strewth, cobber! Good on ya!
this is just the next step against piracy.

if you want music on your iPod you buy it from iTunes, if you want CD's you buy CD's
This water's dark and coldGod's not where you hopedThis moment come and goneIt's time we all moved on
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=165567

Haven't actually tried it, I've never owned such a cd. But remember one thing - if it produces audio signal of any kind, it can be ripped. Period. Even if it means plugging an output of a cd player into a line in (which sucks, but is still possible)

I'd go with torrents/warez, but try to rip it anyway. Might as well learn something new
You could try a couple programs one is AnyDvd it allows to rip dvds but also cds with copyright protection. You can download a trial version of it and try it out.

Another program similar to taht and is free is DVd43 but might be as good.
Thanks all ... I think i'll go for the torrent idea though. But if that should fail (for whatever reason) I shall go for the other suggestions... thanks again.
Send it back and explain to them that it won't play in your computer and that's the whole reason you bought it.

All of this DRM crap does absolutely nothing to thwart piracy but it sure as hell hurts the people who actually pay money for the CDs. So, like others have said, vote with your wallet and don't buy anything with DRM. I was waiting 3 years for Spore to come out but decided not to buy it because of this crap (limits to 3 installs and thus effectively eliminates your right of first sale). Enough is enough and it's time to let the media industries know that they're only hurting themselves and we will not buy anything that limits how we can use it.
Quote by garett
Send it back and explain to them that it won't play in your computer and that's the whole reason you bought it.

All of this DRM crap does absolutely nothing to thwart piracy but it sure as hell hurts the people who actually pay money for the CDs. So, like others have said, vote with your wallet and don't buy anything with DRM. I was waiting 3 years for Spore to come out but decided not to buy it because of this crap (limits to 3 installs and thus effectively eliminates your right of first sale). Enough is enough and it's time to let the media industries know that they're only hurting themselves and we will not buy anything that limits how we can use it.

EA have provided a patch now, removing most of the DRM issues.
Quote by saphrax
EA have provided a patch now, removing most of the DRM issues.
Um, no. They've raised the install limit to 5. Oooh yay now I'll go buy it so I can install it 5 times and then have a paper weight that I spent $50 on. No thanks.

The worst part is that it has absolutely nothing (in Spore/EA's case) to do with piracy at all. What they're trying to do is get rid of your right to first sale so that you can't re-sell it on Ebay etc. Sorry, but when I buy something I consider it MINE to do with what I please. I can't tell you how many times I've installed Quake or Civilization or Doom. With EA's new games you can't even so much as give it to your little brother when you're done with it.

Oh, and none of this even mentions the phoning home (which is required to limit the installs). This means that in order to play the game you have to have an active Internet connection and if their servers go down you're SOL.

Nah, no thanks. I won't pay money for anything with any sort of DRM. Enough is enough. Oh and just in case someone feels like bringing it up: no I don't pirate the games either. These companies need to understand that I don't *NEED* their products. We're talking entertainment. I can go without thank you very much. You want my money then give me a good product without this BS please.
Quote by garett

My empire was dominated yesterday....
I had that on a couple of CDs(IIRC, Contraband and The Wildhearts Must be Destroyed). I held down shift while I put the CD in, and the stupid copyright control bollocks(which is basically an autoplay program) doesn't autoplay, and then I ripped them.