I've been playing guitar for 3 years and want to get into playing bass as well. I'll be playing mostly Less Than Jake kinda stuff, maybe a bit of RATM and Biffy Clyro.

I have a £500 budget to get me started into playing bass. I want a nice 4 string bass and a giggable amp. What are you're suggestions?
i'd suggest one of the squire Vintage modified basses, either the J or P dpending on what you want, for what you've said i'd recommend the jazz. i've heard real good things about them and they's pretty damm cheap.

as for an amp i've not idea.

but then i don't know about bass amps.

or bass.

With a £500 budget you can't really get any better than a Squier Vintage Modified J bass and an Ashdown MAG 300 watt combo. I'm not much it costs exactly for the two but might have a little left over for any extra goodies you'd like to buy.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by fleajr_1412
With a £500 budget you can't really get any better than a Squier Vintage Modified J bass and an Ashdown MAG 300 watt combo. I'm not much it costs exactly for the two but might have a little left over for any extra goodies you'd like to buy.

well an ashdown mag head plus 410 cab would cost 400 pounds in the uk.
a squier vintage modified jazz will cost 200.

so that would be 100 quid over budget. maybe he should go for a cheaper amp?

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Quote by fleajr_1412
With a £500 budget you can't really get any better than a Squier Vintage Modified J bass and an Ashdown MAG 300 watt combo..

exaclty what i was thinking
Quote by the humanity
Captainjack666
the lord of sexyness...
Oh sorry, didn't know that. I thought it was a little cheaper.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Fender MIM Standard Jazz (around £330, try www.gak.co.uk)

Used Ashdown MAG off ebay/talkbass/basschat etc. That'll be around £200ish.

That's basically my rig, you cant be too picky over tone at this budget but it's got enough to do what i ask of it.

Maybe find a used Trace Elliot if youre lucky!

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
I seem to keep saying this buy try laney amps aswell. RB8 costs around £300, thats 300 watts, but the next one down is RB6 which is 165 watts (£228). try them, see what you think.

As for basses, squier basses are pretty reccomended around here, also try an Ibanez GSR 200 (this has a rather thin neck), OLP might be something to look at, I wouldn't know as ive never played their basses.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
what would that be called? a Fibson with Gender confusion issues?