Why are the older Indo built Squier's preferred over the newer chinese squiers?

Has anyone compared them and noticed a real difference?
OK.

I've just found an indo showmaster in my loft. I remember I bought it about 10 years ago and it's been up there for about 8 years!

Problem is a few of the retaining blocks have fallen out of the FR bridge and there is no strings on it. I dont know whether its worth the hassle fixing it or whether I should just give it to the local charity shop.
Problem is, I cant tell if i like it until I play it again. I kinda forget how it played originally and back then I was such a beginner, It probably never sounded good at all However, it does seem to have decent reviews on this site.

I think I will take it to a tech. If it costs around £50 to get serviced, I can still see if I like it, and if I dont, I may be able to get my money back on it from eBay.

Thanks for your advice
I play on an Indonesian Squier. The few friends I have that play guitar have said that it's pretty good.

The guitar itself is technically sound. No fret buzz, no real issues. Mine does have some rust on the screws holding the pickguard, but that's about it. Other than that, the guitar looks and plays "fine", depending on what your definition of fine is. I am currently playing on a PRS SE, and the only noticeable difference that I can tell is:

#1 - action is much lower on the PRS and yet there is no fret buzz present
#2 - neck appears to be made of higher quality wood
#3 - frets appear to be made of better quality metal

I can't quite tell a difference in "quality" of sound since i'm not that experienced. I can tell it sounds different, but I don't know if it's "better".
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer