Should I start as far as learning guitar?

I really don't know much at all to be honset.

Also, I'm sot too interested in tabs. It seems like reading notes would be more useful.Any tips??
Last edited by MandieMyztic at Sep 23, 2008,
reading notes is more useful if you are going to take a classical path. for a more campfire/folk path chords are best, and for shredding tabs is best. don't shun tabs just because they don't seem professional. but then again it is useful to know standard notation also.
Quote by andrid
reading notes is more useful if you are going to take a classical path. for a more campfire/folk path chords are best, and for shredding tabs is best. don't shun tabs just because they don't seem professional. but then again it is useful to know standard notation also.

No, I definatly intend on eventually becoming familiar with tabs, but I've gotten advice more than once about the downers in not learning notation.
Quote by MandieMyztic
Should I start as far as learning guitar?

I really don't know much at all to be honset.

Also, I'm sot too interested in tabs. It seems like reading notes would be more useful.Any tips??
Depends, what direction are you taking?

If your going to study jazz or classical or any sub genre than forget tabs and learn sheet music (you might want to learn some box patterns, they really help read). Also better if you plan on writing serious music, as in more than just a lick or a riff.

If your just having some fun and all your going to do is play a rock song or whatever, forget sheet music because it's all written down in tabs.
actually i think it depends on what you want to know. both tab and sheet music have their place. tab is more user friendly right off the bat. sheet music takes a little studying to get used to. i think knowledge of both would be more helpful in the end.

as far as actually learning to play guitar there are a lot of ways. you could get a teacher for starters, you could
1) use the tons of videos on youtube,
2) if your father plays (i think you said in the other thread that he does) you can get him to show you some stuff.

3)my personal favorite though has always been attending concerts and watching the musicians you enjoy and seeing how they play. this isn't always the best though as a lot of professional musicians don't have really good technique. you do get a good insight into how they do what they do though.