First thing, I searched trying to find a thread covering this and DID not find one, hence starting a new thread. I have decided to start a custom build soon. Researching everything and putting it on paper now. To make it easier on me, Im going with a premade/routed body and neck.

I can not find anyone who scallops necks with anything other than dot inlays. Even Warmoth won't scallop their own necks with anything but dots. Anyone know of a Luthier that scallops neck with Cross or Vine Inlays?
Thats gonna be some pretty complicated and therefore expensive inlays if even possible.
id say the neck of the jem thats got a tree of life inlay, but its only scalloped on the last four frets
Quote by Deliriumbassist
Antisocial Behaviour Order. A chav's equivalent of GCSEs.
Quote by Billy Picken
Even Warmoth won't scallop their own necks with anything but dots.
there's a reason for that. actually, reasons.

- large and/or irregularly shaped inlays become fragile when scalloped.
- the inlay is easily damaged during the scalloping.
- inlay material is harder to scallop than fretwood.
- inlays look strange when scalloped.

you can probably find someone who will scallop a neck like that for you, but it doesn't surprise me you're having a hard time finding someone to do it.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Thanks for the replies guys. Dots are just boring to me, especially for a custom build. I've seen pics on a google search of Shark Fin inlays on a Scalloped neck, so I have no doubt it can be done. Looks like my only options are dots or no neck inlays at all.
... or decals / adhesive plastic transfers.
since this is scalloped, the strings won't touch the fretboard.
durability is not an issue, just appearance.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
SYK, That might indeed work with a laquered all maple neck and its something I could do myself. Thanks for that suggestion!
inlays are only .05" thick usually so you can't scallop much or you'll sand right through the inlay.
Support your local luthier!

Timpson Guitars and TDM Pickups rock ;D

I make guitars and pickups. I also make sh*t that'll blow you the f*k up as well as things that will rebuild you - I have the technology
Quote by nuthinbuttrubl8
inlays are only .05" thick usually so you can't scallop much or you'll sand right through the inlay.

I've seen several fully scalloped necks with inlays (other than dot) fully intact. So it can be done. As pointed out, it's probably really expensive even if you fnd someone with the skill to do it.

SYK's suggestion is a lot more economical, practical and opens up a lot of options. I'm going to see what I can come up with on a neck I already have laying around. The decal tutorial on project guitar explains how to do just that.

Thanks for all the input!