Ok, so i bought a Laney Tt20, was good at home but during band practices it was no where near loud enough. So i cranked it to 10 and the thing stopped working. Can't be bothered to fix it or whatever so i'm going to replace it.

I need an amp that i can use for all purposes, practicing at home, at band practice and gigging.

I play my own stuff with the band which you could class as melodic death metal i guess. But i'm also going to need to be able to get a nice clean sound out of it. Also, i'll need to be able to get a good sound for soloing from it. Effects arent a big issue, i wouldn't mind a few obviously. But i don't want shed loads that i probably wouldn't use anyway.

The budget i'll have in store credit will be about £550 perhaps, give or take.

The closest shop near me thats half decent is a music megastore, hardly mega but still, the amps they USUALLY have in there are from brands like

Laney, Mesa, Line 6, Marshall, Fender and Vox.

I was reccomended something by Vox last time, but foolishly turned it down.
So any suggestiions with the budget around £550.

Thanks, and sorry for the wall of text.

Sweet.
well if your budget is that much, probably worth looking at some of the line 6 range such as the flextone 3 or other line 6 heads? (maybe too expensive, and try and avoid the spider range). You'll be incredibly lucky to get a mesa on that budget and even so maybe not suitable.
Vox valvetronix XT i think its called could be ok.
Again marshall and any other vox may not be what you are looking for as they might not be versatile enough.
UG Profile

- Ibanez S470DX
- Orange Rockerverb 50 head
- Orange PPC212
- MXR Micro Amp
- CryBaby Wah

Member of the Matt Bellamy > Shred Club! PM Aidy Damage or Metallica708 to join!
Member Of The Orange Revolution Club
line 6 spider valve 212 (or the 112 with spare moolah) is definitely worth a try
Quote by fleajr_1412
You have amazing taste in men.

Are You a PROG-HEAD? I am.
mesas probably out of your price range.
fender and vox not great for your music style but have great cleans so you would need a pedal for OD.
Line 6 dont make good amps anyway
that leaves laney and marshall which are both good brands
Spider Valve is overpriced for what you get. Marshall's cheap stuff is no good. Mesa is out of his price range (they jack their prices way up everywhere outside of the US). Are you willing to try in store and buy from Thomann or something?

EDIT: Vox AC15
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Spider Valve is overpriced for what you get. Marshall's cheap stuff is no good. Mesa is out of his price range (they jack their prices way up everywhere outside of the US). Are you willing to try in store and buy from Thomann or something?

haha more like jack them up past what they are worth EVERYWHERE
Baron K2 SE 120
MILLS 4x12 Afterburner
Eventide TimeFactor Delays
ISP Pro Rack G Noise Suppressor
BKP Warpig pickups
Quote by theoreticmusic

^For melodic death metal? I think not. Use Peavey JSX or 5150 will do what you want.
Is the 5150 in my price range? Also i would like a combo, or a half stack as long as i can get a head and cab for my price.
Sweet.
Quote by acdcrocks0323
^For melodic death metal? I think not. Use Peavey JSX or 5150 will do what you want.

shit. I read "all kinds of sounds". the AC definitely won't do death metal.

TS: Used, they are.

ENGL Thunder 50 and Randall RG50TC are in your price range new.

Don't judge me.
They both sound good from video's i've watched (Engl thunder 50 and Randall RG50TC) but i most probably wouldn't be able to get my hands on them.

Are line 6 a no go then or what?
Sweet.
Line 6 is a no go in my opinion. i owned a spider valve and I wasn't happy with it. Can you not order from Thomann?

Don't judge me.
I can't order from Thomann cause i only have the money in store credit so my options are limited. I could ask the store to order in but then that means the try before you buy thing might not apply.
Sweet.
For versatility the flextone is probably your best option.
Dean Icon PZ
Line 6 Variax 700
Dean V-Wing
Dean ML 79 SilverBurst
MXR M 108
H2O Chorus/Echo
Valve Junior (V3 Head/Cab and Combo)
VHT Special 6
Phonic 620 Power Pod PA
Wampler Super Plextortion
Line 6 Pod HD
Engl Thunder, Laney GH50L
Quote by Skraeling86
That's a lot of booze. Frankly, I'm impressed. You're of a stronger timber than the average man, jimbob! Hail you.

Quote by Bubban
Yes you should go to a doctor, fucking moron. We can't do anything about your hemorrhoid.

Quote by kayman121
haha more like jack them up past what they are worth EVERYWHERE

Capitalism is a beautiful thing, my friend. People buy them at the prices they charge, so they keep them the same. It's just odd that they charge so much more overseas. They don't have a whole lot of sales success with that approach, but whatever floats their boat.

Don't judge me.
The Laney gh50l on video's didn't sound capable of producing a heavy metal tone.

Did i mention that i'd prefer a tube amp, in my opinion they just have a better crunch to it.

So yeh, good tube amp capable of heavy metal.
Sweet.