was pretty disappointed. It was probably their entry model though, I dunno. Sounded kinda cool and growly, but then again it was going through my GK1001 amp with the boost up and my Ampeg SVT cab that I just got so I couldn't tell what exactly was growling. Felt like crap though. The back of the neck was slick and not fast at all. For some reason the action was up really high, and you had to pluck it pretty hard with the pickup switch in the middle to get it to growl. The fretboard was lacquered up like on cheaper Fenders. I dunno, just didn't like it much.
Rics are hit and miss with me. I've played some terrible ones and some amazing ones, you just need to play a bunch of them before you start to get the idea.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
I didn't think it was possible for a Rick to be hit or miss. They probably have the most consistent product in the bass world with some of the highest quality control. If you don't like one, chances are you hate 'em all.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I didn't think it was possible for a Rick to be hit or miss. They probably have the most consistent product in the bass world with some of the highest quality control. If you don't like one, chances are you hate 'em all.

If the back of the neck was sanded and it was set up a little better, I probably would have liked it. It did sound cool when you really got on it but it wasn't nearly as easy to play as I had suspected.
I have never seen a ric sell for under $1400. There are no entry level ones.

Really, you either like them or you don't. They are very specific instruments that suit a certain style.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
You can get cheaper models of them as i have tried one called Rockinbetter which sounds like such a shit name...i was 50/50 on it, it was good but could have been better.
Bass....How low can you go?????
I'm like that too. If it wasn't for that neck, I would be all over a Ric like stink on shit.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
these things are just characteristics of all rickenbackers; its probably just not the right choice for you.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
Quote by JoeyDengler
You can get cheaper models of them as i have tried one called Rockinbetter which sounds like such a shit name...i was 50/50 on it, it was good but could have been better.

That's a copy not made by Rickenbacker.

It's like a First Act "Tele" Guitar to a Fender American Standard Tele.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Quote by Jonnomainman
That's a copy not made by Rickenbacker.

It's like a First Act "Tele" Guitar to a Fender American Standard Tele.

They are made by Tokai I believe
All I want is for everyone to go to hell...
...It's the last place I was seen before I lost myself

Quote by DisarmGoliath
You can be the deputy llamma of the recordings forum!
If it has a maple fretboard, it's going to be finished. All cheap and expensive fenders have finished maple boards.

You can't not finish a maple board unfortunately.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by Nutter_101
If it has a maple fretboard, it's going to be finished. All cheap and expensive fenders have finished maple boards.

You can't not finish a maple board unfortunately.

It was dark brown rosewood or something similar. I guess I'm just used to my unfinished ebony custom electric, unfinished rosewood on my knockoff strat, unfinished ebony on my bass, and three unfinished rosewood acoustic guitar fretboards. When I see and feel a fretboard that's all shiny with some kind of finish on it, it bothers me.
I'm really, really wondering what cheap Fenders have finished fingerboards. My $1600 Fender has a finished fingerboard. As does a similar custom classic $3000 version.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
I'm really, really wondering what cheap Fenders have finished fingerboards. My $1600 Fender has a finished fingerboard. As does a similar custom classic $3000 version.

My frontman's Fender Classic Series 50's Strat has a finished maple fb, they go for like £350.

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
As does my $500 '51 Precision RI, but the point is it's a characteristic of the wood, not the quality.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Yeah. Maple tends to be the one they finish, otherwise you get numerous problems. Can't say I've ever heard of poly/nitro on a rosewood board though.

Curious...
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Ric's aren't really eant for a rediculous amount of growl, they're known more for a 'knock' kinda sound, meant to sound trebly and bright, or sometimes rather smooth.
Schecter Stiletto Studio 5
Ibanez SRX2EX1
Gallien Krueger 1001rbii
Gallien Krueger Neo 410
On the maple issue--yes even my cheap ass AccuBass has a coated maple fretboard.

Rics have a very distinctive sound and feel. I love them, though I have to say I like the playablity of the 4003 over the 4001. They sound great through vintage sounding like amps, such as Ampegs, HiWatts and Trace Elliots.

But they are distinctive enough that if you don't like them you really don't like them. It seems to be all or nothing with a bass player and a Ric.