Beck - Modern Guilt
Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death To All His Friends

*Waits for cagnius to bash Coldplay*

+1
Beck
Raconteurs
MGMT
are my favorites this year.
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Underoath - Lost in the Sound of Seperation
From First to Last - self titled (solid album after vocalist left)
Coldplay - Viva la Vida
Quote by frankv
Kings Of Leon - Only By The Night
Beck - Modern Guilt
Coldplay - Viva La Vida Or Death To All His Friends (lol, just kidding. Them boyz r rubash)

*Waits for cagnius to bash Coldplay*

Terms and Conditions apply.
Mudhoney - The Lucky Ones
Consolers Of The Lonely - The Raconteurs
Station - Russian Circles

I would say One Day As A Lion's self-titled EP, but does that count as an album?
Quote by hazzmatazz

I would say One Day As A Lion's self-titled EP, but does that count as an album?

Forgot that and The Mars Volta's Bedlam in Goliath
Oct. 20th, 2009: New guitar AND front row for Mars Volta.

Quote by denizenz
Is that a ukulele in your pants, or did you just rip ass to the tune of "Aloha Oi"?

I met Sonic Youth on June 30th, and Mars Volta on Oct 20th.
Scars on Broadways' self titled
One Day as a Lion EP
Nine Inch Nails - The Slip
The Nightwatchman - The Fabled City (technically its not released yet, but I have my ways :p)
Maybe Weezer's Red Album as well, altho I'm on the fence about that one.
My Morning Jacket- Evil Urges >>>hands down the best, song for song, only one misstep the whole album(Highly Suspicious)

Black Crowes- Warpaint>>> these guys dunno how to put out a bad album

Radiohead- In Rainbows>>> finally, a return to something totally listenable, for the average music fan

Blind Melon- For My Friends>>> I don't even like Blind Melon, but this album grabbed me

Death Magnetic is already the most overrated album of the last decade. There are some great moments on it, but they really forced alot of it. They completely left out some important transition parts that need to be there, for the sake of continuity, in the music.
Kings of Leon - Only By The Night
Radiohead - In Rainbows
Coldplay - Viva la Vida

Im sure there are more, but these are the best that spring to mind. King's new album is absolutely amazing, though.
I are chav.
REM accelerate!
Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
The Bedlam In Goliath - Mars Volta
Third - Portishead
In Rainbows - Radiohead
The Slip/Ghosts I-IV - Nine Inch Nails
Modern Guilt - Beck

I'm also really enjoying a lot of other good albums such as Watershed, The Hawk is Howling ect.

But i believe those really stood out for me.
Quote by FunkyCrime!!
Two words.
Death
Magnetic

Two words.
Damn Right!!!
My Gear:

Epiphone Limited Edition '66 G-400 SG
Fender Standard P Bass
Ampeg BA115
Boss Metal Zone Pedal
Electro-Harmonix Memory Toy Analog Delay
Quote by zebmatthew
Chinese Democracy-Guns N' Roses

Quote by cakeandpiemofo
Of course I don't wanna go in the woods. There's bears in there.

Quote by Deliriumbassist
Jeff Ament is a sexy sexy beast.

Quote by Karvid
Yes. Chest hair = automatic awesome. Even if you're a woman.
Quote by slaptasticdave
REM accelerate!
Yeah that was a great album.

I'd say

Get Better- Lemuria
Stay Positive- The Hold Steady
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
One Day As A Lion - EP
Lenny Kravitz - It Is Time For A Love Revolution
Stone Gods - Silver Spoons and Broken Bones
Joe Satriani - Professor Satchafunkilus and The Musterion Of Rock
Quote by penguin-pirate
Sometimes, when I mow the grass, I pretend I'm Hitler and all the grass blades are Jews.
Quote by MAYNARD
My Morning Jacket- Evil Urges >>>hands down the best, song for song, only one misstep the whole album(Highly Suspicious)

Black Crowes- Warpaint>>> these guys dunno how to put out a bad album

Radiohead- In Rainbows>>> finally, a return to something totally listenable, for the average music fan

Blind Melon- For My Friends>>> I don't even like Blind Melon, but this album grabbed me

Death Magnetic is already the most overrated album of the last decade. There are some great moments on it, but they really forced alot of it. They completely left out some important transition parts that need to be there, for the sake of continuity, in the music.

"In Rainbows" was released in 2007, both the download and the CD (I have both :P). CD was released December 31st last year. Still, amazing album. Best of last year definitely.

My favorite of the year so far "The Lucky Ones" by Mudhoney. Mudhoney proved how hard they can rock again.
The Bedlam in Goliath - Mars Volta
Watershed - Opeth
what i've heard of One Day As A Lion EP
Final Conversation of Kings - THe Butterfly Effect (although I hesitate on this one, wasn't as good as Imago/Begins Here)
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
Death Magnetic - Metallica
--A rock solid album by one of the pioneers of thrash metal. It's nice to hear Kirk wail again, as we didn't in St. Anger. Better songs on the album are: All Nightmare Long; Broken, Beat & Scarred; and their ten-plus minute long instrumental Suicide & Redemption. Its good to have Metallica back. Can't wait for the show!

Consolers of the Lonely - The Raconteurs
--This album demonstrates what Jack White has to offer when he has a full rhythm section as well as backing vocals (and even producing the backing vocals for some tracks) and a second guitar. Probably the most under-rated album of the year. This is a solid effort from the guitar-laden riff of the opening title track to the Bob Dylan-esque closer "Carolina Drama".

Warpaint - The Black Crowes
--The Robinson brothers and company have returned and put out one of the better albums of their careers in Warpaint (in my humble opinion). It may not quite match up to Shake Your Money Maker in terms of radio-single tunes, but if you listen to the album as a whole, it works together like a story from the deep south. With Chris Robinson's voice sounding as good as ever and brother Rich's guitar playing being a tribute to Keith Richards in itself, this album didn't disappoint.

Evil Urges - My Morning Jacket
--Upon reading the review of this album in Rolling Stone magazine, I couldn't help but be curious to hear the band who's singer has been compared to Prince and who's album is full of interesting guitar hooks and riffs. I'm glad I took a chance on these guys, because this album also didn't disappoint. I only wish there were a few more tracks in the vein of their previous tunes such as 'Mahgeetah' or 'One Big Holiday'. Either way, this album demonstrates Jim James' incredible song-writing ability. Pleasantly surprised with this find.

Bring Me Your Love - City & Colour
--An incredibly atmospheric ode to death and love is exactly what Dallas Green's sophomore release brings to my mind. He has added a few more dynamics to his songs in comparison to his previous album (more percussion, harmonicas and so on) and it has done anything but cramp his style, if only improving his sound. A few more songs in standard tuning with very nice melodies and even a few guest musicians such as Canada's own Gord Downie of the Tragically hip.

Forgiven - Los Lonely Boys
--The Los Lonely Boys third studio album brings a lot to the table. This album is in the same vein as their previous albums, although perhaps a little more subdued with a few more ballad-type songs. That being said, their opening track "Heart Won't Tell A Lie" is one of the best on the album with a deep groove and catchy riff that you'll find yourself humming for the rest of the day. Also, check out their cover of the Spencer Davis Group's "I'm A Man", you won't be disappointed!

Only By The Night - Kings of Leon
--After listening to this album and their previous albums, I can't help but ask: Can these guys write a bad song?

For My Friends - Blind Melon
--For a 4th studio album and a first for new-comer Travis Warren, Blind Melon seems to have found it's groove again, although obviously missing former/deceased singer Shannon Hoon. Warren does fill-in Hoon's absence fairly well, and I'm excited to see what the future has in store for this band. I'd even go as far to say that the track "Wishing Well" could be one of the best singles of the year, if it had a chance to get some radio play. Well done, guys.

Lyrics: Time wasted between solos.

After a mindboggling 3-hour Steve Vai concert, I had to listen to some brainless guitar playing... so I put on Nevermind...

Jesus Rocks!
Monkey - Journey to the west

it's actually really good

and, i just can't see Viva la Vida as one of the best albums of this year... it seems so dull to me
Quote by JGreenwoodizGod
"In Rainbows" was released in 2007, both the download and the CD (I have both :P). CD was released December 31st last year. Still, amazing album. Best of last year definitely.

My favorite of the year so far "The Lucky Ones" by Mudhoney. Mudhoney proved how hard they can rock again.

Wrong about In Rainbows. The cd's official release date was 1/1/08.
The big boxed sets were supposed to arrive in early December.

I have to chime in about Death Magnetic. It's already the most overblown album to be released in a long time.

The drumming is crap.

Solos are very uninteresting.

Sections of certain songs were just slopped together to get those song lengths up there.

James can't belt it out.

I am as happy as anybody that Metallica actually sounds a more like Metallica again, and there are some damn cool parts, but, in 30 years, when we look back on Metallica's great career, St. Anger will be one black eye and Death Magnetic will be another.
Last edited by MAYNARD at Sep 28, 2008,
Page 1 of 2