a year ago i bought a pretty ****ed up yamaha pacifica from a "friend" who didn't tell me this (i was pretrty simple back then dont worry it was only 20 pounds)

well today i decided to check it out to see what could be done to it.

i pulled the strings off and the nut fell off with them...not a very good start.

Aswell as this the pickup selector ( i think) is very broken because it onkly plays in a few weird positions (like between the five set ones) and its kinda dodgy.

I also want to maybe take the middle pickup out and leave the neck single and the bridge humbucker to have a killswitch. Would this be fixabkle with superglue for the nut and a new selector switch. Or would it need extra attention.

Also the neck is bent quite funny should i adjust truss rod or take it to someone else to do>?
yamaha pacifica-pretty f@#$!d up, got for dirt cheap.....

don't waste money on it, instead, douse in gasoline and make a sweet video of your Pacifica in flames.
Main Gear List:
Guitars:
Jackson RR7
Agile AL-3100 Double Bound
1977 Fender Jazz Bass
Amp:
Blackstar HT-5
peavey bass amp
Effects:
EHX Metal Muff
Ibanez Weeping Demon Wah
Danelectro 7-band EQ
Quote by cthuludawn21
yamaha pacifica-pretty f@#$!d up, got for dirt cheap.....

don't waste money on it, instead, douse in gasoline and make a sweet video of your Pacifica in flames.

wow cheers for the help mate...tbh how could it cost m,uch more than ten pounds? actually other more helpful people could you please answer the top question and ignore this lol
Pics would be helpful for the neck, but otherwise you've probably got a bad pickup selector. It might just be broken wires, though. Take a look at it first. But you'll prolly want to get a 3 way if you're gonna get rid of the middle pup anyway. The nut can be glued on with superglue, just make sure you line it up properly and don't get any glue on the paint. With a master volume, you can't make the pickup selector into a kill switch. You have to convert it to have 2 volumes, 1 for each pickup.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Quote by DuctTapeNinja
Pics would be helpful for the neck, but otherwise you've probably got a bad pickup selector. It might just be broken wires, though. Take a look at it first. But you'll prolly want to get a 3 way if you're gonna get rid of the middle pup anyway. The nut can be glued on with superglue, just make sure you line it up properly and don't get any glue on the paint. With a master volume, you can't make the pickup selector into a kill switch. You have to convert it to have 2 volumes, 1 for each pickup.

can't rli get picsof neck swhowing it exactly because i unstrung it but basically the strings were very very close to like frets 1 to 3, far too close... and far too far away from the frets around and above 12th.

cheers for the info on the nut im glad its such an "easy"ish fix

and i was thinking of removing/bypassing the middle pickup because then the selector would be a kill switch because it wouldnt have any signal in the middle position, but that;s just a bit at the end...not rli very important.

bold is the most important question of this post lol

also how much would a classic 5 way selector switch be because i think that's a necessity.

EDIT: scrap the middle bit i'm keeping it reegular and installing a kill switch because i have space where a yamaha pacifica has only one tone and one volume
Last edited by wooftang999 at Sep 23, 2008,
Quote by wooftang999
can't rli get picsof neck swhowing it exactly because i unstrung it but basically the strings were very very close to like frets 1 to 3, far too close... and far too far away from the frets around and above 12th.

cheers for the info on the nut im glad its such an "easy"ish fix

and i was thinking of removing/bypassing the middle pickup because then the selector would be a kill switch because it wouldnt have any signal in the middle position, but that;s just a bit at the end...not rli very important.

bold is the most important question of this post lol

also how much would a classic 5 way selector switch be because i think that's a necessity.

EDIT: scrap the middle bit i'm keeping it reegular and installing a kill switch because i have space where a yamaha pacifica has only one tone and one volume
I didn't think of that for the killswitch. That's pretty good. It sounds to me like you've got to lower the height of the saddles to fix the strings being so far away. It also sounds like your nut might be cut a little too deep, in which case you'll want to put something under it to increase it's height.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

If you can get it working it should be a decent guitar I've always regretted selling mine.
Quote by DuctTapeNinja
I didn't think of that for the killswitch. That's pretty good. It sounds to me like you've got to lower the height of the saddles to fix the strings being so far away. It also sounds like your nut might be cut a little too deep, in which case you'll want to put something under it to increase it's height.

tbh i dissagree with you there becuse if i look along the neck there is a definite bend whihc i think is truss rod....might try and see an expert with it... not sure maybe at school

Quote by 420 FREAK
If you can get it working it should be a decent guitar I've always regretted selling mine.

cheers man that's convinced me even more to do this...this'll probabaly be my heavier guitar because my other start copy doesn't have the humbucker ahaha... cheers all
Quote by wooftang999
tbh i dissagree with you there becuse if i look along the neck there is a definite bend whihc i think is truss rod....might try and see an expert with it... not sure maybe at school
Yeah, if it's bowed forward or back, then it probably needs a truss rod adjustment. Like I said, it's hard for me to tell for sure without pics.
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw

Quote by DuctTapeNinja
Yeah, if it's bowed forward or back, then it probably needs a truss rod adjustment. Like I said, it's hard for me to tell for sure without pics.

haha yeah no worries man do you reckon like a music/guitar teacher would be able to do quick basic truss rod adjustments?
You can do them yourself as long as you're careful. I've never adjusted mine, but from what I've been told, the best way to do it is to turn it a 1/4 of a turn, then leave it a day, then turn it another 1/4 of a turn and leave it for a day, etc until it's done. I'd like to see what someone who's actually done it would say, though. :p
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw