Alright everybody, i did a search bar on this and couldn't find anything,. I am looking into getting a new bass. I have been playing for about a year now and i am getting decent at playing and i want a bass other than my starter pack. I have been looking at 5 and six string basses for a while and like the sounds of them. I am pretty intimaded by them though since they have big wide neck, and i have small/medium sized hands, i also played a 5 string at guitar center and didnt have too much of a problem exept i missed some strings and it wasnt as comfy as my 4. i play alot of classic rock, and LOVE funk, what do you guys think should do? get a 6 or stick with 4
It all depends on the way you play.....

When playing on your four string, do you have to constantly change the tuning to get a broader a spectrum of notes? if you do, i would suggest getting a five string or a six string. However, if not, then i would suggest getting a pretty decent four string so you have a quality primary bass, then afterwards invest in an entry level five or six string to get the feel of it...

If you are worrid about small hand size then i would suggest talking to anarkee, i think i remeber her posting that she plays a 5 string and has pretty small hands.
Don't worry about your hand size. With correct technique you will be able to play on necks on any thickness, width. Size doesn't matter. BUT, if you were to want something quite manageable, I would suggest trying an Ibanez SR506, they get abit of praise for for being really comfortable in terms of a six string neck. (If you have the cash and want to make me jealous, get a six string Bongo )
The prog kid from way down under of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

GENERATION 7: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Maybe you should try looking at more 5s if you really intimidated by the 6 string necks. I find it really hard to get used to 6 strings because it might be too much to grasp at one time if your a 4 string player. But 5 strings i felt almost instantly comfortable with.
Referring to Victor Wooten
Quote by Nutter_101
"Wa wa wa English is my first language, music is my second blah blah blah wank wank wank I rule, love me suck my dick."

That's all I heard in that entire interview.

My Band:
http://www.myspace.com/closedfortonight
I'd go for the Ibanez SR506, like Nikki said, But in my opinion, 6-string basses aren't always appropriate or necessary for the music you're looking at. Most 6-string players (that I listen to anyway) play jazz-fusion or progressive/tech metal.

Getting a sixer WILL make you a more flexible player (with key changes and 'economy of motion') but you should ask yourself if it is necessary.
♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥♥
the jonas brothers are sooo
█▄█ █▀█ ▀█▀
█▀█ █▄█ ♥█
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘ PEACE! LOVE! JONAS!
well i got a five string so I could play in drop d without have to tune different. getting a five or six string will be good if you ever want to get into anything different, but funk and classic rock need only 4 strings my friend. still the choice is yours.
Peavy Cirrus 5 string
Squire Jazz bass
Berhinger ultrabass head, 450 cabinet
Resident Marvel Comic expert of the Bass Militia, PM Dinkydaisy to join
]My band's myspace
http://www.myspace.com/jenovamusicpage
Quote by Spankyx2
well i got a five string so I could play in drop d without have to tune different. getting a five or six string will be good if you ever want to get into anything different, but funk and classic rock need only 4 strings my friend. still the choice is yours.

Lol. Drop D? Come on man, most of the time you just have to turn the E string knob a full 360 degrees.

But thats off topic.

To be honest, take the middle ground between 4 and 6, a fiver.
A few things:

One, more strings is not a substitute for down tuning.

Two, don't think that you lare imited by the genere you play, just because no one in classic rock uses a 6-string don't rule it out. If you think that you are going to use the extra notes, get a 6-string.

Three, it's not going to be a hard transition. You'll play it for a few hour and you'll pick it up. Mainly, you just have to get used to the tighter spacing.
Transitioning to a 6-string from a 4-string isn't hard at all. The B-string almost feels natural (unless you're slapping), and the C-string only took me a few days to get used to. I don't regret buying either of my 6-strings at all.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Uh oh, now I want to buy one! Damn you guys are convinving!
the jonas brothers are sooo
█▄█ █▀█ ▀█▀
█▀█ █▄█ ♥█
☆┌─┐ ─┐☆
 │▒│ /▒/
 │▒│/▒/
 │▒ /▒/─┬─┐
 │▒│▒|▒│▒│
┌┴─┴─┐-┘─┘
│▒┌──┘▒▒▒│
└┐▒▒▒▒▒▒┌┘
 └┐▒▒▒▒┌┘ PEACE! LOVE! JONAS!
I would suggest sticking with the 4 string. For most music that is all you will ever need. I play a 5 string and it is nice in concert band when playing off of tuba music which is much lower then bass, but since you are interested in funk i would stick with a 4 string and just jam out on that.
It's a personal thing. There's no reason you can't play funk on a 6.
Quote by watchingmefall
What the hell?

I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't figure out what the hell he was trying to say.
Quote by Yerjam
Could be, but the most important thing to remember is that it wasn't your fault, even if it was.
Quote by Hergiswi
I'm glad I'm not the only one who couldn't figure out what the hell he was trying to say.

What I mean is that drop D is easy to tune to; it doesn't require another string (drop C, however is annoying to tune to so a fifth string would become handy.
Get a triple neck bass, one neck with 4 strings, one with 5, and one with 6. When you've figured out that the 6 string is where it's at, then cut off the 4 banger and fiver necks. Dilemma solved.
Quote by Spankyx2

Then you got a 5 string for the wrong reasons. The low B is NOT a replacement for drop tuning.
Quote by Hergiswi

I think he is saying that to tune down a step you simply rotate your tuning peg 360 degrees. I don't know about you, but that seems like way too much.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
I think he is saying that to tune down a step you simply rotate your tuning peg 360 degrees. I don't know about you, but that seems like way too much.

Depends on the tuning ratio of your tuners to be honest.

I doubt it's as much as 360 degrees.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by gm jack

Considering that wood expands and contracts, I think the 360 degree advice is a ridiculous amount of bull... And even if the bass was all graphite, 360 degrees is a ridiculous amount.
Depends if you think you need that extra high string or not. If you're playing chordy stuff then a 5 may not be enough seeing as you only get a lower string and the E is a bit blergh for chords as it is.

Not sure having an extra string for down-tuning is a good reason for having an extra string... but if Meshuggah use 8 string guitars I'm not gonna argue =P
Saaay... d'you want to go see a movie?
Quote by Bumper
Get a triple neck bass, one neck with 4 strings, one with 5, and one with 6. When you've figured out that the 6 string is where it's at, then cut off the 4 banger and fiver necks. Dilemma solved.

I am in favour of this course of action.
You should be fine, six strings are easy to manage once you get the hang of it.

My problem with them however, is that I find the fatness of the neck really ugly. Yup, i'm pretty shallow.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by wouldyakindly
My problem with them however, is that I find the fatness of the neck really ugly. Yup, i'm pretty shallow.

Then I wouldn't have bought my 5er because it's body is way too huge for my body

But I still manage to look cool, 'cause I'm a smooth operator

Back on the subject, get a 6er if you have money, you won't regret it. I wish I can have one
Quote by MC_Rimes
Then I wouldn't have bought my 5er because it's body is way too huge for my body

But I still manage to look cool, 'cause I'm a smooth operator

Back on the subject, get a 6er if you have money, you won't regret it. I wish I can have one

I'd love to get one, I personally enjoy the look of a fat piece of...bass...
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
Quote by Victory2134
I'd love to get one, I personally enjoy the look of a fat piece of...bass...

but would you like to slap it right on the ...strings?
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
but would you like to slap it right on the ...strings?

On a serious note, I can't slap very well. so no.

I prefer tapping.
Quote by Hal-Sephira

We all have the rights to be mad

So does you
^ lol
but on a serious note i have the 6 string sound gear and it is very awesome. the transition will take longer than a couple hours, unless your a virtuoso. ive had one around 6 months and im mostly used to it unless i took a really complicated string skipping sequence then sometimes ill accidently hammer on another string but ive only been playing for a little over a year around 1 yr and 4 months.
God damn you all, you're making me think about getting a six string string when I should be foscusing on getting a new amp!
Proud Owner of a Fender Jazz 24 V

Private Simmons of the Red vs. Blue club. PM Fret13 to join.

Things to come:
Carvin or Trace-elliot rig
EBS Valvedrive (Newest edition )