Anybody who uses this? How good is it and is it possible to use a keayboard with it?(if you don´t use the gearbox maybe...)

I´d like to record some guitar, bass and keyboards with my computer with no latency for a very litlle amount of money.

Tell me everything!
yo i just bought a toneport UX1 like a week ago. not a GX but i think its pretty close.
i'm not 100% about the keyboard thing. i havent tried it out or anything. But i'm pretty sure if you could run a keyboard into the toneport via 1/4 jack or something, it could act as a direct input box type thing. don't take my word for it though. but i think it could work.

i've used the toneport every day for mucking about and recording. it's so easy to use and gives out really good quality, so you can record your ideas and it will sound really good.

i'd reccomend it. toneports (especially the gx) are dirt cheap and it's such a useful thing to have
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
I'm pretty sure you can play bass and sing through it,not sure about the keyboards though.And it doesnt record anything,you have to get third party software for that.You have to use gearbox to get the sounds and tones you want,dont think it will work without it!
Mex Fender Tele
Cort G220
Vintage v100
plus 4 others and 2 basses
Blackstar id15 tvp
Bias Fx
Pod farm
Reaper
To clarify,toneport gx has no recording software, ux1 comes with ableton live lite.
Great fun whichever you choose!
Mex Fender Tele
Cort G220
Vintage v100
plus 4 others and 2 basses
Blackstar id15 tvp
Bias Fx
Pod farm
Reaper
I´m going to use Audacity with it...Maybe you could use the cleanest amp in gearbox and run the keyboard through it?
Theres an option not to use amps and just to send the signal straight through, which you should use with the keyboard i think
MY DESIGN/PHOTOGRAPHY TUMBLR
Quote by SEALSniper1152

If you take a jar, and whisper what you want to hate into it, then close the jar, coat it in crunchy peanut butter, and shove it up your ass. I'm pretty sure you could hate everything after that.
Quote by Musicman_91
Anybody who uses this? How good is it and is it possible to use a keayboard with it?(if you don´t use the gearbox maybe...)

I´d like to record some guitar, bass and keyboards with my computer with no latency for a very litlle amount of money.

Tell me everything!

The toneports are fair interfaces...not great, but they get the job done.

The GX isnt the best one to do keyboard...it's based around guitar and bass and therefore has a mono connection (balanced TRS I think...)

You may run into line level issues with running your keyboard out into the GX input, also being your keyboard most likely has a stereo input, you will be running into a mono input of the GX.

Look though Tweak's Guide linked in my sig for more info on all this recording gear

I highly suggest saving up for something a little better that you can properly run the keys two. I'm talking about something with two mono inputs (such as the EMU 0404 USB). It will give you an overall better sound in the end.
Last edited by moody07747 at Sep 23, 2008,
my band's keyboardist recorded keys through it a while back. they have a couple of settings specifically for keys that you can run it through.
"Bitches ain't shit but hoes and tricks."
- Dr. Dre
Quote by moody07747
The toneports are fair interfaces...not great, but they get the job done.

The GX isnt the best one to do keyboard...it's based around guitar and bass and therefore has a mono connection (balanced TRS I think...)

You may run into line level issues with running your keyboard out into the GX input, also being your keyboard most likely has a stereo input, you will be running into a mono input of the GX.

Look though Tweak's Guide linked in my sig for more info on all this recording gear

I highly suggest saving up for something a little better that you can properly run the keys two. I'm talking about something with two mono inputs (such as the EMU 0404 USB). It will give you an overall better sound in the end.

My keyboard is an Yamaha MM6 and it got two mono outputs.

Does the EMU 0404 do guitar well? and could i use GuitarRig or something similar with it?

Quote by thomaserak

my band's keyboardist recorded keys through it a while back. they have a couple of settings specifically for keys that you can run it through.

Thanks I´ll Pm you if I need anything! It´s a long way to cristhmas though so it might take a while before I´m getting one^^

How was the sound? Do you have any recordings?
I have a tone port Gx!!!

Its badass man. You should get it. I use audacity to record my music.
*Check out my UG profile to see how it sounds like*
Quote by Musicman_91
My keyboard is an Yamaha MM6 and it got two mono outputs.

Does the EMU 0404 do guitar well? and could i use GuitarRig or something similar with it?

Thanks I´ll Pm you if I need anything! It´s a long way to cristhmas though so it might take a while before I´m getting one^^

How was the sound? Do you have any recordings?

The EMU 0404 is simply a USB interface...it doesnt do anything but let you plug into it and convert the signal to Digital.
You can run a guitar directly to it and same with your keyboard but when it comes to doing amp modeling and such for the guitar that is where the software does the work. You can use any software with it such as GuitarRig or Amplitube but I don't think GearBox works with any interface other than the Toneports..but that's not a big loss.
Yes, the keyboard works well, just open gearbox and turn all effects off (there's a button that does that).
I have a pod X3 and record via its USB connection. Its a really cheep way to get started. I like a lot of the tones i can get out of it. I think its worst feature is the distortion. But i use my own distortion pedal and wah before the pod and it works out fine. It could also record keyboards and basses. For the basses it has bass cab models and such. Im sure you can record a keyboard and vocals with it too but havent tried it yet.

Im happy with it and i got it for cheap it was used and that was all i needed. It has headphones out so i hook that up to my amps speakers and hear my playing through that at whatever level i want and i can hear my backing tack or already recorded loops out of the computer speakers. It does have latency but this is not an issue as audacity can compensate for this. I just figured out how much time off it is and then set a latency buffer. I can link you to a lesson of how to do this if you need it later on. Its very accurate and i cant tell any lag so it works fine for me.

Its not a bad way to go. If the toneport is similar and has the same modeling software as the pod then it must be just as good. I cant say if its best because i havent tried any other usb interface products but it seemed like the cheepest way to do what i wanted and im happy. so far.
Last edited by /-\liceNChains at Oct 6, 2008,