Why does it necessarily make sense to compare two guitars that are in totally different price ranges? Isn't it normally a given that a $2000 guitar is going to be built with more quality materials than a $200 guitar in all but the most odd situations?

The fact that an Epiphone/Squier doesn't stack up to a Gibson/Fender is self-evident. Additionally, an LTD buyer isn't the same type of player as an ESP player, so why bother saying that one is inferior to the other? If you want to be realistic with someone who's asking for a recommendation, make a recommendation in the price tier that the person is looking for. Not every beginning guitarist needs a $2000 guitar to destroy, nor does a guitarist who is happy just playing Nirvana in his/her room.

Of course, I'd probably be annoyed too by the users who try to equate an LTD with an ESP, but it's really apples and oranges. I get really annoyed by the Craigslist ads that say "Buy a brand new Fender Squier Stratocaster!"

Just ranting. Thoughts?
Quote by eminentgonz
Why does it necessarily make sense to compare two guitars that are in totally different price ranges? Isn't it normally a given that a $2000 guitar is going to be built with more quality materials than a $200 guitar in all but the most odd situations?

The fact that an Epiphone/Squier doesn't stack up to a Gibson/Fender is self-evident. Additionally, an LTD buyer isn't the same type of player as an ESP player, so why bother saying that one is inferior to the other? If you want to be realistic with someone who's asking for a recommendation, make a recommendation in the price tier that the person is looking for. Not every beginning guitarist needs a $2000 guitar to destroy, nor does a guitarist who is happy just playing Nirvana in his/her room.

Of course, I'd probably be annoyed too by the users who try to equate an LTD with an ESP, but it's really apples and oranges. I get really annoyed by the Craigslist ads that say "Buy a brand new Fender Squier Stratocaster!"

Just ranting. Thoughts?

While on the whole I agree you really can't generalize quite that much; it is a generally accepted opinion that a high end Epiphone is likely to be better than a low end Gibson.
R.I.P. My Signature. Lost to us in the great Signature Massacre of 2014.

Quote by Master Foo
“A man who mistakes secrets for knowledge is like a man who, seeking light, hugs a candle so closely that he smothers it and burns his hand.”

Album.
Legion.
I agree, not everyone can afford gibson and they shouldn't be compared.
No means maybe
Quote by Zaphod_Beeblebr
While on the whole I agree you really can't generalize quite that much; it is a generally accepted opinion that a high end Epiphone is likely to be better than a low end Gibson.

I agree. Instead of $400 Epiphone Standard vs $2,000 Gibson Standard, we should compare $1,500 Epiphone Elitist vs $1,500 Gibson Studio.