Peavey Bandit 112
Custom 2x10 cab w/Bugeras
how to use the edit button
Quote by output24
Haha, owned!
U win fender.

Quote by wiggy1988
teacher- Some slave owners would fight duels using their slaves
Me- So, sort of like Pokemon with people..Black man, I choose you!
I realize this everyday.

Play something slowly and build your speed from that, or it will sound terrible.

... That's my two cents.

This is just going to turn into another kind of "improve your playing" thread or whatever, isn't it?
Random thing I realized today:
1) I've never seen a squirrel take a crap
2) Schecters play extremely well, I may be sold on my next guitar
Quote by AluminumOxide
Cobain killed himself before he learned to play guitar.

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
Most people on the internet try to be funny by posting things that clearly have nothing to do with the thread.

And I definitely have to agree with the 'learn to play it slowly then build your tempo' comment.
Bleed by Meshuggah is insane.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
Les Pauls + sweep = not the best. I realized that after trying to sweep on a friend's strat, much easier.
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Last week I realised that a boss gt-8 will easily survive a 5 ft drop. Unfortunately CD's definitely do not survive a boss GT-8 falling on them from 5 ft.
I'd say, about guitar, that not all the bloody tone comes from the fingers! I mean, there may be a 'bit' but, seriously, Steve Vai's tone wouldn't be awesome through a Peavey Raptor and a Spider halfstack.

*prepares for flaming, but still knows all of you know it's true*
Cam Sampbell's my hero
Quote by Garci
Les Pauls + sweep = not the best. I realized that after trying to sweep on a friend's strat, much easier.

If it's a low-end LP copy compared to a decent Strat then your observation might have some merit, but if they are guitars of similar calibre there is nothing major enough in terms of design difference that facilitates easier sweeping on a Strat than a Les Paul.

IMHO any guitarist worth their salt should be able to rip on any guitar they pick up, within reason of course.
Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by Mo Jiggity
IMHO any guitarist worth their salt should be able to rip on any guitar they pick up, within reason of course.

I couldn't disagree more, especially when the example Garci made was in regard to sweep picking. Tapping and Sweep picking on certain guitars is nearly impossible especially when you're used to the action and fretboard on your own go-to guitar.
Quote by AluminumOxide

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
Quote by Rufiothebandito
I couldn't disagree more, especially when the example Garci made was in regard to sweep picking. Tapping and Sweep picking on certain guitars is nearly impossible especially when you're used to the action and fretboard on your own go-to guitar.

Unless the action is ungodly high, the strings are a significantly different gauge, or the scale is radically different, there is really no reason to not be able to execute what you can do on your "go to guitar" on another one. Many of the greatest guitarists in the world can pick up a guitar other than their "signature" one and play a song perfectly fine on it. Moreover, many tend to support my position that any semi-quality instrument should enable you to play just fine.

I would much rather practice to the point that I am proficient at playing guitar, not one specific guitar, rather than hold myself to a lower standard on the basis of me being unable to perform due to a different instrument.

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Quote by Mo Jiggity
Unless the action is ungodly high, the strings are a significantly different gauge, or the scale is radically different, there is really no reason to not be able to execute what you can do on your "go to guitar" on another one. Many of the greatest guitarists in the world can pick up a guitar other than their "signature" one and play a song perfectly fine on it. Moreover, many tend to support my position that any semi-quality instrument should enable you to play just fine.

I would much rather practice to the point that I am proficient at playing guitar, not one specific guitar, rather than hold myself to a lower standard on the basis of me being unable to perform due to a different instrument.

It's not really unable to perform on a different instrument, guitars are like cars, they handle differently and certain techniques done on a different guitar call for modifying your play-style. "playing just fine" on another guitar is no problem but when difficult techniques like sweeping and tapping come into play it's not so easy to just say, do it on any guitar. I mean, if you were say, a stunt driver, and you drove a bmw in all your stunts but a new one called for driving a ford taurus, you'd need to get used to it, as it would handle differently, that might be a poor example but it works for me.
Quote by AluminumOxide

Gibson SG Special
Schecter C1-Plus
Quote by Rufiothebandito
It's not really unable to perform on a different instrument, guitars are like cars, they handle differently and certain techniques done on a different guitar call for modifying your play-style. "playing just fine" on another guitar is no problem but when difficult techniques like sweeping and tapping come into play it's not so easy to just say, do it on any guitar. I mean, if you were say, a stunt driver, and you drove a bmw in all your stunts but a new one called for driving a ford taurus, you'd need to get used to it, as it would handle differently, that might be a poor example but it works for me.

Quote by Mo Jiggity

I think a comparison of a BMW to a station wagon is a rather poor analogy for what we are discussing here, given that the difference in price and performance between the two said vehicles is often along the lines of 50%, if not more.

My conjecture is that if you have a Gibson LP Studio and an American Strat Standard, ANY competent guitarist would be able to play chops on either one given that there are no serious QC issues with them. They are both roughly $1000, US-made instruments regarded as professional-grade. Their basic specifications in terms of number of strings and basic method of play is the same. The scale is different by a matter of 3/4", and now the difference in terms of string spacing is almost negligent given the narrowing of the spacing on new Strats. Although the guitars might feel different, there is NOTHING stopping anybody from being able to sweep on one but not the other besides their personal inhibitions.

I might also add that many shred-oriented Superstrats inherited the larger fingerboard radius of the Gibson rather than the narrower one of the Strat... arguably the biggest factor when one is talking about a technique such as sweeping, which involves finger movement laterally across the fretboard.

**EDIT: Might also add this: http://tuckandpatti.com/fault.html

Youtube this guy... he's incredible, and if he doesn't qualify as an expert I don't know who does.

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
Last edited by Mo Jiggity at Sep 23, 2008,
I didn't say I couldn't sweep on my LP (an Epi btw, don't know if you think it's low end or whatever), I just said that it was easier on a friend's strat, not a Fender, a knock-off. The neck was definitely thinner than my LP's, of that I'm sure, so the strings were much closer and it made string jumping so much easier. Besides, it's not the same on every guitar, I guarantee that, if you had large fingers, you would find it hard to tap on the high notes or land in the same frets in a guitar that had medium sized frets (not my case, not saying that it's yours' either). There's a reason why people feel more comfourtable with specific guitars, otherwise everyone would sell the same model. I still prefer my Epi over any Strat, just realized that it's not the best for sweeping (at least for me)
Look!

Learn how to spell, grammar is your friend

Member #11 of the Les Paul owners club, pm Waterboy799 to join.

Blues player of the Laney Cult
Something I realized recently, is that Fender Telecasters are badass....

I always used to hate them though. They sound amazing, even the MiM ones.