I just bought a Seagull S6 yesterday, awesome guitar, but the action is really high and I'm going to have to go soon and get it setup.

Is there any risk to it? I mean, could they mess up my guitar to the point that it feels and sounds really terrible? I heard someone say something about how when you lower the action by sanding the saddle and nut, that it screws with the intonation, will the people at the shop make sure it's right? I know I'm handing it to a guitar shop and they SHOULD know what they're doing, but what if they don't? I'm kinda nervous about it.

Also, how much does it cost on average to get it setup?

By the way, I tried searching but I didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance. =]
costs $50-ish around here depending on the shop its more or less. avoid guitar center if you can, local shops do a better job and charge less in my experiences.
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
Quote by skatefreestyle
I just bought a Seagull S6 yesterday, awesome guitar, but the action is really high and I'm going to have to go soon and get it setup.

Is there any risk to it? I mean, could they mess up my guitar to the point that it feels and sounds really terrible? I heard someone say something about how when you lower the action by sanding the saddle and nut, that it screws with the intonation, will the people at the shop make sure it's right? I know I'm handing it to a guitar shop and they SHOULD know what they're doing, but what if they don't? I'm kinda nervous about it.

Also, how much does it cost on average to get it setup?

By the way, I tried searching but I didn't find anything.

Thanks in advance. =]

There's risk in anything you do. You could get CT from typing on your laptop/computer when you reply to this thread again. hahaha. just playin' with ya.

Generally, most big guitar shops have relatively competent guitar techs in the house. If you can find a store in your area specialized in acoustic guitars then I would suggest you go there instead, however.

When you lower the action by shaving down the saddle, the intonation will change slightly. Usually it's not enough to mess up your intonation, but sometimes it does become a little off. A good guitar tech will adjust it back a little. Having said that... intonation on almost all acoustic guitars will always be off a little. It's just the nature of the beast.
Equipment:
- Art & Lutherie Cedar CW (SOLD! )
- Martin D-16RGT w/ LR Baggs M1 Active Soundhole Pickup
- Seagull 25th Anniversary Flame Maple w/ LR Baggs Micro EQ

Have an acoustic guitar? Don't let your guitar dry out! Click here.
Haha, alright, thanks.

I'm going to call around to a few places and see what they charge.

How much with they be able to bring it down? It's really high right now.
Well, theoretically they could bring it down until the strings touch the fretboard, but you don't want that do you? They will be able to bring it far enough down, don't worry.