So, a couple years ago I installed EMG 81/85 pickups on my guitar. I had to cut out part of the wood so that it would fit right. Since then, I quit plaaying metal style guitar and I'm wanting to switch back to something more rock/rolk sounding.

Does anyone know if I'll be able to get new pickups put in my guitar, considering the wood and everything. OR will I have to buy a new guitar all together?
you could sell this guitar and buy a new one, or you could save this guitar for if u ever wanna play heavier stuff and save up for a strat or something
periphery/bulb!

gear:
Ibanez RG7321 w/ D-sonic in bridge

Peavey 5150 mk ii & b52 4x12 cab

line 6 podxt for recording

Quote by AsOneIStand
Head and Cab for $130? You don't need a head and cabinet, you need a psychological examination.
you could easily change back to passives just need new pots and output jack. what kind of guitar is it ?
i used to be a mod, then i took an arrow in the knee.
it's a Brian Moore i21 guitar.

I'd really like to keep the guitar. I've had it with me for a few years now and really like the body. I just can't deal with the sound anymore.
Quote by metallica92
18V mod

i just cant understand you peopole......18v mod maybe a differnet sound from the ordinary 81 but it doesnt change to what people think.active pickup cant sound as a passive pickup and vice versa........damn thats why there are two kinds of pickups....you know ......the passve and the active
No passive pups (to my knowledge) fit emg routes, BUT you can get pup rings that will fit over a emg route for your passive pups that way you wont be able to see that gaps.

Other wise your just going to have to stick with the pups or get a new guitar (or a heavy mod project by filling the holes and routing new ones and refinishing the body)

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man
Quote by metallica92
18V mod

From what I've heard, that only really 'works' on basses. I've heard it just doesn't sound as good on guitars.

Anyways, could you save up and get another of the same guitar? Just a suggestion, but hey, you'll have a guitar for metal, and one for rock! I'm not sure you'd want to, but hey, it would be nice.
Cam Sampbell's my hero
You should be able to put any pickups in there, as long as they're humbucker format, and the pickup ring will cover everything nicely.

Just out of curiosity, what amp are you using, and what wood is the guitar made from? I have active EMGs in two guitars - one's mahogany and the other's alder - and they sound great for any music style through my tube amps, once I've EQ'd them.
Quote by MANTAJAZZ
i just cant understand you peopole......18v mod maybe a differnet sound from the ordinary 81 but it doesnt change to what people think.active pickup cant sound as a passive pickup and vice versa........damn thats why there are two kinds of pickups....you know ......the passve and the active
UG is rife with children who throw brief, unsupported answers at threads.
i doubt you'll change that.
Meadows
Quote by Jackal58
I release my inner liberal every morning when I take a shit.
Quote by SK8RDUDE411
I wont be like those jerks who dedicate their beliefs to logic and reaosn.
Lace Drop & Gains have the same square shape as the EMGs, and should fit well. They are passive, and have tremendous versatility, even reaching well into the jazz realm.
Various Strats
Polytone Mini Brute
Koch Studiotone XL
Swart STR Tweed
Quilter 101 Reverb and Mini
1958 National lap steel
Eastman El Rey 1
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
UG is rife with children who throw brief, unsupported answers at threads.
i doubt you'll change that.

you are right i wont
Quote by Vulcan
Lace Drop & Gains have the same square shape as the EMGs, and should fit well. They are passive, and have tremendous versatility, even reaching well into the jazz realm.

what pickup would you recommend? for more of a folky less gain tone.