Hey, i'm looking to get a new bass pretty soon. Right now I have a B.C. Rich Bronze Warlock. Unfortunately I didn't really know what I was looking for when I bought it, so yeah.

Right now i'm seriously considering getting a Fender American Deluxe Jazz Bass, but I don't know if this is actually better than the American Jazz Bass. I've read reviews stating opposite oppinions and I just am not sure. If it helps, i'm in a band and our original stuff is more progressive like The Receiving End Of Sirens, Thrice, or Circa Survive. However I also am into classic rock, heavy metal, and lots of other genres.

Anyways, any help would be much appreciated
Quote by Guitar_Jester
Try 'em both.

I have played the Geddy Lee jazz, and i liked that one. And i have tried the american jazz its just been a while. Last time i was at guitar center i played a lot on one of the deluxes and really liked it. I just need to play them on the same day i suppose.

Also, part 2 of my question. Is there something im missing out looking at? im looking between 1000 and 1500 for my next bass. Hopefully the former, but im willing to put a 1500 in.
yeah the geddy lee jazz is good.

the real answer to you question lies within you. only you know what you whant out of a bass, even if you dont realise it. just try them both together and which ever feels right to you is the one to get.

x
Fender Geddy Lee Jazz
Warwick Corvette $$
Rockbass Streamer Fretless
Hartke HA5000
SWR Triad

Quote by Victory2134
I happen to enjoy every mankiss from shinhoman.
Isn't the Deluxe an active bass, while the American standards are passive?
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Isn't the Deluxe an active bass, while the American standards are passive?

Yep, and are you sure you're looking at MIA deluxes there? I thought they were a price range closer to/above $2000.
Wonderful basses though, have a look into Sandberg if you like those.
I'm a Fire, and I'll Burn.Burn.Burn.
The MIA deluxes really are nice. Whether you think they're worth the money is another matter.
look at warwick basses theyre really nice
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Quote by tbirds1013
look at warwick basses theyre really nice

i remember playing on one that was really nice. i dont remember liking the neck that much though. felt really big.

im just wondering which is better for that kind of music, or if there is a substantial difference. i think im probobly going to end up going with the deluxe though
well, for prog rock you want to sound unique if possible. the Deluxe will easily get more unusual, clacky, bumpy, and bizarre tones.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Quote by the humanity
well, for prog rock you want to sound unique if possible. the Deluxe will easily get more unusual, clacky, bumpy, and bizarre tones.

thats kinda what i was thinking because when i played on it i felt i could get a lot of different sounds, which i like because my favorite tone varies with my mood.
Quote by Greg Rocks Face
thats kinda what i was thinking because when i played on it i felt i could get a lot of different sounds, which i like because my favorite tone varies with my mood.

well, the deluxe sounds like your beast to me. go for it. and know I envy your budget.

and also, do you care body wood? there is an ash body one... my taste, but I'd drop the extra for that, better look and sound.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard

Quote by the humanity
well, the deluxe sounds like your beast to me. go for it. and know I envy your budget.

and also, do you care body wood? there is an ash body one... my taste, but I'd drop the extra for that, better look and sound.

im actually looking for a job for the sole purpose of using the money to buy my next bass. and im not sure about body wood to be honest. i dont know much if anything about different woods.
well... the FAQ has a good description I believe.
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

That's a brilliant price for that bass, here in england they're over £1000
Quote by the humanity
well... the FAQ has a good description I believe.

thanks, im gonna go read up some.

Quote by Jonn0
That's a brilliant price for that bass, here in england they're over £1000

And wow, thats expensive. makes me feel better about how much it is here haha
so Greg... watcha think? ash or alder?
Quote by FatalGear41

Quote by Jason Jillard

i think im gonna just go for alder. ash is not a ton more, but its already expensive as is. and i dont know that it will be a significant difference in sound, ya know?
dont get fender, get a warwick
What doesn't kill us, only makes us stronger

Bass: Ibanez Gsr200
Bass amp: Ibanez sw100 stack

Guitar: squier starter pack

never buy a squier!
Quote by tbirds1013

Why? He already said he found them uncomfortable to play, and the tone is not for everyone.

Fender do damn good basses.

And there will be a big difference between the sound of ash and alder. The two different wood bodies available in Warwick Corvettes give completely different beasts.

Try both out, because it could be the difference between good and perfect.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
Why? He already said he found them uncomfortable to play, and the tone is not for everyone.

Fender do damn good basses.

And there will be a big difference between the sound of ash and alder. The two different wood bodies available in Warwick Corvettes give completely different beasts.

Try both out, because it could be the difference between good and perfect.

The difference between ash and bubinga is much greater than that of ash and alder:
basically, alder is mostly tonally neutral, whereas ash is slightly more bright and harsh sounding. it's also lighter, if that's your thing, but they're not that far apart on the tonal spectrum.
"I hope I die before I get old"-Words of Pete Townsend, 1945-

"I hope I die before I turn into Pete Townsend"-Words of Kurt Cobain, 1967-1994

Funny old world eh.
Quote by tbirds1013

Your name is tbirds1013.
No one will ever take you seriously.

I prfere Fender anyway, I want a bass that I think looks good as well as sounding good.
Quote by wouldyakindly
The difference between ash and bubinga is much greater than that of ash and alder:
basically, alder is mostly tonally neutral, whereas ash is slightly more bright and harsh sounding. it's also lighter, if that's your thing, but they're not that far apart on the tonal spectrum.

I used an extreme example, where they should be considered different basses tonally. I would still recommend trying our both basses and going for the one you prefer, irregardless of cost.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
i would also reccomend playing on the amarican deluxe precision bass. it will have a compleatly different tone. and will play the same due to the fact that they have the same neck as the jazz. and also the precision will be lighter.

for your genre the american deluxe precision seems to be the better choice because of the giant MM style humbucker for the bridge pickup
ESP B-405,Fender American Jazz Bass(EMG J active pups and LEO QUAN BADASS II ) squire P bass(EMG P active Pups)),
SansAmp Bass driver DI
Ampeg SvP PRO Tube Preamp
QSC2450 Power amp
Furman PL8
FINALLY-Ampeg SVT 810E
Quote by tbirds1013

the warwicks are very nice, but the neck is a bit big for my taste. i prefer the feel of the jazz. the sound of the warwicks are great though, dont get me wrong.

also, i think i have pretty much decided im going to end up getting the fender american deluxe jazz. i like just about everything on it
Quote by Greg Rocks Face
i think im gonna just go for alder. ash is not a ton more, but its already expensive as is. and i dont know that it will be a significant difference in sound, ya know?

The ash makes a HUGE difference in tone. For prog, it would be perfect. It gets a brighter, more gritty, slightly less bassy tone. However, it's much more clear. It would sound amazing in a prog band, IMO. If you're shelling out all that money, might as well splurge and get the best you can buy. If you get the alder one and require just a slightly brighter tone, you'll kick yourself.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.