Hi!

I was thinking of buying a peavey 6505 and have found one second hand for a nice price but the problem is that he wont sell it without a Marshall 1960BX. I don't know if thats the kind of cabinett that could deliver the heavy metal sound i want. I like the sound of In Flames a lot and know that they uses marshall to but I don't know what kind of amp:/
yeah should be fine, ideally u want a 1960 with the vintage 30s but the 1960s are awesome cabs for 6505s
Gear:
Jackson DK2 Trans Black

Peavey 6505
Marshall 1960AV
Quote by death_metaller
yeah should be fine, ideally u want a 1960 with the vintage 30s but the 1960s are awesome cabs for 6505s

V30's are great speakers for metal but they aren't the be all and end all speakers like everyone seems to make them out to be. There are other speakers that are great for metal such as the Celestion G12K-100 or the Eminince Patriot Texas Heat.
The 1960BX is low wattage cab isn't it? 4x25 watts?
In Flames use 300 watt 6505 cabs to handle the deep lowend their guitars have.
I would suggest a cab that has an above 100 watt handling capability.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
Ah...

Well, the 1960bx is certainly a good cab... but greenbacks... I'm thinking Cream more than In Flames...

You could certainly sell the speakers and replace them with g12t-75s or vintage 30s. They are pretty much the prototypical metal Celestions. The vintage 30s have a really pronounced high midrange, the g12t-75s have this really "in your face" low end.

Speaking of which, if a quad of g12t-75s are up your ally, I could be of assistance, haha...
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 24, 2008,
Greenbacks are good for say... old school EVH (VH I and VH II tone). And no, despite the Peavey 5150 being EVH's signature amp, I've yet to hear a great EVH tone from one. The new EVH 5150IIIs are a different story though.

But if you're into "chugga chugga" metal with a lot of low end grunt, greenbacks will flub out at higher volumes. They'll also break up at higher volumes which will muddy up your sound if you're into high gain.
Last edited by al112987 at Sep 24, 2008,
If you get greenbacks I'd suggest a cab with 2 of those and 2 V30s. I've heard bad things about 4 greenbacks with 6505s.
Quote by al112987
If you're into "chugga chugga" metal with a lot of low end grunt, greenbacks will flub out at higher volumes. They'll also break up at higher volumes which will muddy up your sound if you're into high gain.
+1. Being 25 watts each, they will breakup and distort a lot sooner. Something that won't be desirable with an uber high gain amp like the 6505.
MARSHALL JVM 210H
PEAVEY JSX
KRANK 412
MESA 412
FENDER STRATS
DIMARZIO
CELESTION
vintage 30's are great speakers but a pair of 4 is kind of exxcessive. one of my friends has two vintage 30's and 2 of the 75 watt speakers and puts them in an X formation.(meaning the first speaker is a vintage 30, the second is a 75, then the next is a vintage 30, the next is a 75 or which ever order you want) his cab with his head sounds freaking epic. it made my old line 6 sound great.

anyway. i think you should go for it. that head is great. that cab is great but you could always get new speakers. if not you can just sell the cab and get a different one on craigslist. theres always good cabs for cheap on there.
www.myspace.com/wearedraind
My Rig:
ESP LTD MH401NT
ESP LTD EX-400BD (two of them)
Peavey 5150
Mesa 4x12 Straightback Slant cab loaded with v30's
I think many people underestimate the vintage sounding speakers when it comes to metal tones. When driven hard they have a lot of bass and still cut through great IMO.
vintage sounding speakers break up and compress when driven hard. I'm not really sure thats the type of sound metal players are looking for.
Quote by al112987
But if you're into "chugga chugga" metal with a lot of low end grunt, greenbacks will flub out at higher volumes. They'll also break up at higher volumes which will muddy up your sound if you're into high gain.

I disagree. The Greenbacks are what the Framus Cobra was designed around, and they sound great with their matching cabs. I finally got a chance to try my Nitro with a Greenback loaded cab and it slayed.

Not saying that it would sound great with a 5150, I'm sure it wouldn't sound bad, but they most certainly don't "flub out," and are useful for more than just low/mid-gain applications.

I hated the sound of G12T-75s with my 5150, so I would stay away from them. I say, go give it a try, it's not like you have to buy it.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com