I have decided my next guitar purchase will probably be a small-bodied ES-type semi. Might be a little while off though (damned car)...

So having shopped around a little it seems there's the option of spending lots of money (such as the Gibson ES-339 and CS-336 @ £1.5-2k), or not much money (Ibanez Artcore, Epiphone Dot etc @ £300-600). I'd really like to spend around £1k - anything around in that range? Also how are the Gibsons superior (overpricing debates etc aside)?

Amp is a Hot Rod Deluxe which I'm plenty happy with for clean tone at the moment.

Cheers.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
Gibson Vegas, discontinued but damn lovely.
I wish I could buy one

Epiphone Les Paul Standard w/ SD Alnico Pro II's
Fender Aerodyne Telecaster & Stratocaster
Marshall JCM 800 4104 combo

E-Married to Funny_Page
i played an ibanez artcore. it was good for the money however i doubt you will be happy with it. the tuners were complete rubish and the action was very high at upper frets and rather low at lower frets which to me felt odd. it is the only hollow body i have ever played though..
Prod.
American Deluxe maple board Strat
Hot Rod Deluxe
Fulltone Fulldrive II mosfet
I know it's not ES335-shaped but have you looked at the Rickenbacker 330/360?
╠═══════╬═══════╣

FUZZY FLATPICKER σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Enjoy occasionally controversial ramblings related to guitars? I have a blog which meets these criteria.
You should try one of those budget companies that still throw on quality parts for good prices. There's probably plenty here: www.rondomusic.com.

They have a good reputation so far.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW
my biggest concern is that £1k might fall between two stools- it's too cheap to get the really badass stuff, but it'd be a shame to settle for an intermediate guitar with such a high budget too... i'm not too well up on semi-hollows, but as i said, that'd be my concern.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Try and find a used Gibson ES335, or look at some Japanese companies that do similar stuff (Tokai, Edwards, Orville etc)
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
With a little more, I bet you could get a used Duesenberg (sp?), or Gibson.
I would say Heritage 535. I actually prefer the 535 to the Gibson 335 and I have seen them in that price range. I paid $1100.00 for one a few years back but I think it was new.

A lot of the newer Gibsons are not all that special. If you look around you may be able to find an older one with some issues for around your price.
the cheapest Gibson ES-335 (brand new) i've seen is $1,999.00 for the satin finish ES 335, that should be around 1k GBP i believe
Gear

- Epiphone Les Paul
- SX Strat (w/ Fender Vintage Noisless Pickups, TBX Control, and an active circuit board for +25dB mid boost)
- Marshall DSL40C
Quote by R_H_C_P
Try and find a used Gibson ES335, or look at some Japanese companies that do similar stuff (Tokai, Edwards, Orville etc)

+1

not quite sure how i forgot about those. i think it was the £1k budget which threw me.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Check out the new Vox Virage guitars, I've heard good things and they look pretty awesome.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Carvin make custom semis you should take a look at. You might get raped on shipping but the guitars are such a steal it shouldnt matter.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!