Hello All,

New to this forum and been playing guitar for about 12 weeks now. The problem is that I STILL can't get the F major chord. I can barre the B and high E strings OK but can't do this without the finger above them on the G string touching them and giving me a huge fret buzz.

I know what finger position I need for this chord but just can't get it.

Anyone got any tips as it's driving me insane
rotate your finger so that it's not the bottom (finger print) side of your index finger fretting the strings, but the side of the finger that is closest to your thumb... it makes for a little bit more of a stretch (curl your other fingers more), but its a flatter surface than the bottom of your index finger
Chop your breakfast on a mirror

~~~~~~~

Guitars:
ESP EX-400
Ibanez Riio
Fender Squier with a broken nut at the low E= complete piece of garbage, I let my friends play it haha

Amplification:
Peavey Stuido Pro 112
Squier 15 Watt
Curl your index finger. Now try to barre the High E and B strings with a bit of the side of your index finger with it curled at the same time. This should help to be able to have the 2nd finger also curled in such a way that you can fret the G string properly (by curling your index finger and rotating it a bit to the side, it lets your 2nd finger be able to curl and maintain a distance from 1st finger at the same time, at least that's what it seems like to me). Hope that helped!!
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
Thanks folks,

I've tried it before putting my index finger on its side a bit but have now tried curling it over completely on its side (as much as it'll go and it seems to work).

Another question - where does your thumb go? In the pictures i've seen of the F major chord it's poking over the top but the neck but I can only get enough pressure to barre the two top strings if it's directly behind my index finger and pressing down like F***!!
Meant to ask - is it usual for a 'simple' open chord to take so long to master????
--------------------

Guitars:
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Yamaha F310

Amp:
Roland Cube 20X
Quote by AmboGuy
Meant to ask - is it usual for a 'simple' open chord to take so long to master????

I had and still have issues with the open Fmaj chord (been playing for 4+ months). 'They don't call it the F chord for nothing!'.
my MG15DFX has a button that simulates the sound of one of the expensive tube marshall amps

Fender Stratocaster HSS
LTD EC-400AT
Traynor YCV-50 Blue
Peavey Envoy 110

Wishlist: Hamer USA Explorer, Gibson Explorer
try barring all the chords and on the play the other part normally. makes it much easier.
What are you dense?
Are you retarded or something?
Who the hell do you think I am?
I'm the goddamn Batman.

April 19th, 2011: The Night of the Boob

When playing open chord songs with an F chord, I just play it like this:

---x---
---1---
---2---
---3---
---3---
---x---
You must realise why it is hard to play. Firstly, the first fret is the hardest to bar as is so close to the nut. Secondly, it doesn't help that low E and A are thicker strings (thus being harder to pluck normally). So what do you do?

Forget F, Play A.

You'll find it much easier, since the strings are easiest to play around the fifth fret. That's my theory anyway. Then when you are confident move back up to F
If it wasn't for bad luck, I wouldn't have no luck at all
Easy thing I do is for the low E string, wrap your thumb around the neck. . . that helps, that way your index finger isn't over power by laying all of those strings.
Quote by paranoid joker

Metal, should kick you in the nuts, after you catch it messing around with your girlfriend.
and then make a sandwhich in your house and walk out.

Http://www.myspace.com/drowningiris
Just practice and be patient, the F chord is indeed an absolute pain in the arse!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com