I own a 'Rockster' guitar, its basically a crappy guitar that looks real nice.

I have taken it apart and im going to replace almost all the parts on the guitar just keeping the bridge and body original as all the other parts, including the dodgy neck, are just pants.

I have compared the bolt on arrangement with a few strat and tele bolt ons, id like to nick a telecaster neck from another guitar of mine, although the holes on the guitar are too close to fit it (as in when the guitar is vertical, the holes are too close horizontally).

I could fill in the holes and re-drill them, but thats a whole load of effort which i want to find out if its avoidable.

Any help about a neck change is greatly appreciated as i have never done this before, but im not retarded and should be able to do a difficult job well enough and figure things out for myself.

P.S: Im on probably the tightest budget ever, so taking it to a luthier isnt an option and ill end up doing all the work at my school in the DT rooms.
It's pretty easy to fill the holes in the neck and redrill them. I did it in about 15 minutes (plus drying time) on my guitar last weekend. The neck didn't have the same spacing. You'll want to watch out for the neck pocket, though. If it's not the correct shape, the neck either won't fit into the pocket, or you'll have too much extra space around the heel of the neck. That, and the neck might be too far/too close to the bridge. Make sure the distance from the nut to the 12th fret and from the 12th fret to the bridge is the same.
Quote by Øttər
Ninja, I dunno who you are but I like you.... so far....
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
My Teddy bear is God. DO NOT QUESTION MY TEDDY!
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

Not part of the Bass Militia
Quote by HighPotency
If you have a shotty guitar, why bother spending the money to replace the neck?
If you can't afford an awesome guitar, why bother upgrading what you have to make it better?
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw
It's a good thing I like boobs or I'd be more pissed that you just bumped a 2 week old thread for that

^ This.

Enjoi <--- Friend me
Quote by Scowmoo
Otter, you're my new god.
Quote by Bigaxmax
... Any help about a neck change is greatly appreciated as i have never done this before, but im not retarded and should be able to do a difficult job well enough and figure things out for myself.

P.S: Im on probably the tightest budget ever, so taking it to a luthier isnt an option and ill end up doing all the work at my school in the DT rooms.
Joining the neck to the body is probably the most critical aspect in your project. If it's off even slightly, a lot of unpleasant things can occur.

So, it's critical that you get the measurement of your body's neck pocket as accurate as possible. Then, you'll have to hunt down a similar scale neck with the same neck heel measurement. It's not tough since, most companies tend to stick with the same neck pocket/heel dimensions.

For example, I was able to mate a very cheap Johnson Strat-type neck ($10 used) with a generic, MIJ Mahogany body. The body also accepted a MIA Fender Strat bridge since even the holes of the 6-screw bridge lined up. I love converting inexpensive (cheap) parts to awesome/very decent guitars. (See the Crash/Petrucci mod in my sig)

BTW, I bought the neck from a store closing. Good Luck!

Quote by Øttər
^ This.

Sig'd
Quote by Øttər
Quote by Shaggy Shadric
Quote by MatrixClaw

Thanks for the advice guys

The neck pocket size im guessing is as standard as it gets, but ill make sure it fits right and i wont even think about going through with the job if im not dead sure its gonna work.

And if you've seen the design on a rockster like mine before then youd understand why, it looks soooo kickass, i just wanna jam and EMG in that bitch and slayer it up \m/
do what ducttapeninja said, he/she seems to know what they are doing

also you got pics of the body and stuff?

sounds like it could look alright

good luck
Empty Space