So, I just moved to a new college and got to know a few friends who play guitar as well.

Something weird that they told me. They told me that you're not supposed to plug your guitar into the amp while the amp is turned on. They said it can damage the amp/guitar.

What the heck? Is he really right? I've never heard of that. They told me that the buzz that you hear when you're plugging the instrument cable to the guitar, that's what damages the amp. Is this really true?
no. it only hurts the amp if its really loud. than it might blow the speaker.
Quote by Mo Jiggity
What he said. You are a wise man for not buying into the hype.

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
I dont think it damages it. But i never plug in after i've turned on. If i change guitars, i use the standby switch.
Jesus wouldn't give you the sweat off of his balls if you were dying of thirst.
Quote by Code-E
God, you've gotta be UG's only moron!

Quote by magnum1117
that's right,you certainly are UG's only moron.

Quote by necrosis1193
Read the moron's posts, ironically enough he knows what he says.
Quote by thespian948
no. it only hurts the amp if its really loud. than it might blow the speaker.

Steinberger GU/Spirit w/ Moses Graphite neck, EMG 81-85
"Fireball" Pacer/RG hybrid

Furman Power Conditioner
Axe-Fx Standard
ART SLA-1
Yamaha S112V
Peak FCB4N
you are only really risking the speaker blowing from the feedback

Epi Les Paul Std w/Duncans
ESP LTD EX260
Cry Baby From Hell
Marshall JH-1
EHX Metal Muff
MXR EVH Phase 90
Carl Martin Classic Chorus
EHX #1 Echo
Ibanez LU-20
Dunlop DCB-10
Crate V50112
Tascam US144

PEDALBOARD JUNKIES
Only tubes amp, though... right?

And that "popping" noise can blow the tubes also, can't it?
O O

___
No it will not hurt your amp, even if it is turned up loud. That sound will not damage your speaker. It may damage your ears (or the ears of your audience) which is the reason why you should turn your amp down or off before plugging in. If you have a tube amp use the standby switch.
Quote by TheBax
Only tubes amp, though... right?

And that "popping" noise can blow the tubes also, can't it?

i dont see why it would. but it MIGHT if you have the volume rediciliously loud. if your at practice volume its not going to do anything besides make a really annoying sound.
Quote by Mo Jiggity

ya hear that...he thinks im wise
Quote by thespian948
i dont see why it would. but it MIGHT if you have the volume rediciliously loud. if your at practice volume its not going to do anything besides make a really annoying sound.

...so that's a yes?
O O

___
Actually, people have tested this and it seams to be true. Just like how you should always flick your standby switch on a tube amp while changing guitars.

EDIT-

And to the guy who asked if it can damage tubes, the answer is actually yes. That popping noise that it makes can cause a tube(s) to blow.
So...

Conclusion = it does damage the amp?

Btw, my amp is a modelling amp if it matters.
Can it maybe. I change guitars on my tube amp without using the standby switch. But I dont have it cranked. If you have a pedal tuner switching it so no signal is passed when switching guitars would fix the problem.