So I have an old Washburn electric I bought from an awesome UG'er in California with the intention of customizing it a little, or a lot depending upon costs. It is a strat style body with a HSS pickup configuration. I plan on stripping the paint, painting it (obviously), putting in a kill switch, and replacing the pickups. I really would like input on which pickups I should get for it. This guitar is intended to be used for SRV, Hendrix type, bluesy up to maybe Nirvana possibly White Stripes tones out of the humbucker if possible. I know those goals are realistic but would it be possible to get more versatility out of it like more gain? And of course the lower the costs the better.

Edit: Painting suggestions welcome too

Edit 2: These are all the bands I like, obviously this guitar is geared towards stuff that an HSS style strat is good for but just gives you an idea of what I play or will eventually play:

The Jimi Hendrix Experience , John Mayer , Nine Inch Nails , Chris Cornell, Creedence Clearwater Revival, U2 , Bruce Springsteen, Dave Matthews, Creed, Nirvana , Led Zeppelin , Buckethead , Serj Tankian, Bob Dylan, Stone Temple Pilots, The Who, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Rush, Temple of the Dog, Van Morrison, The Verve, Cream, Probot, Tool, Coheed and Cambria, Ozzy Osbourne, Beck, The Killers, Iron Maiden, Neil Young, Eric Clapton, Blind Melon, Metallica, Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers , The Rolling Stones, Incubus , Audioslave , Guns N' Roses, Paul McCartney, Oasis, Foo Fighters , A Perfect Circle, Franz Ferdinand, Pantera, The Beatles , Train, Motorhead, Velvet Revolver, Avenged Sevenfold, The Offspring, Modest Mouse, The Kaiser Chiefs, Weezer, Muse, Animal Collective, Semisonic, The Fratellis, The White Stripes, Staind, Dethklok, Marcy Playground, Lenny Kravitz, Rage Against the Machine , Bob Marley, Black Sabbath, Megadeth, The Doors, Radiohead, Soundgarden, Pink Floyd, Sublime , Cake, Pearl Jam, John Lennon, Jet, System of a Down, The Flaming Lips , The Strokes, Explosions in the Sky, The Shins, The Hives, Chevelle, Steve Vai, Jimmy Eat World, AC/DC, The Mars Volta, Death Cab for Cutie, The Cat Empire , Wolfmother, R.E.M., Stevie Ray Vaughan , and Blur. In short just about everything...
Last edited by Bentheemo at Sep 23, 2008,
Its possible, depending on the amp. I suggest a nice set of GFS single-coils, and a humbucker like a Custom 5 or an Alnico Pro maybe.
Oh, I've heard good things about GFS pickups. I just added all the bands I like so you guys can get a better idea at some of the tones I may be shooting for. Of course I dont expect Dethklok or Megadeth from it but I just thought that list might help.
If your looking for a large range of options you should try out the carvin pickups. they have a really good one in the C22J/B hums. They have a wide range with alot of tone. There perfect for what you looking to play. If your looking for even more tone you can try out there M22 humbuckers. Very nice indeed.
Oh okay, thanks for all the suggestions so far, anymore humbucker suggestions?
Last edited by Bentheemo at Sep 23, 2008,