So I see alot of metal bands use overdrive pedals to boost their amps. I'm assuming they turn the drive or distortion all the way down on the pedal and leave it clean. Not exactly sure what it actually does.

I've heard of the Maxon od808, Maxon 0d9, Ibanez tubescreamer, Digitech Bad Monkey. Are their significant differences amongst these besides the price, which should I go for?
Guild DV-4 Acoustic
Fender Standard Telecaster Ash MIM
Fender Vibro Champ XD
It all depends on the amp you're using. If you're doing it for the Fireball in your sig, I would personally go for an OD808, but then again, it's all preferance.
On a budget a bad monkey works great, if you have the cash, then no reason not to step up a bit.

Set the gain on 0 and the level on 10 pushes the preamp harder (adding some gain) and overall tightens up the sound, helping to get that tight chugga chugga sound many bands are looking for.

Warning generalization: All eighties metal is pretty much a cranked jcm800 with an OD boosting it.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
As above, but do you really need to boost the gain on a Fireball? I should think it has more than enough
ohai little sig.
Well if all it does is add more gain, then no, I don't need it. But then why would many successful metal bands use them, you'd think they're amps have enough distortion as well. Why would the killswitch gujys need a OD pedal for a Framus or Mesa amp. Why would Unearth need one for a VHT pitbull or whatever they use. Not that I want to emulate their sound, Im just curious about the reasoning behind using them. It must do something else to the overall tone than just add more distortion.
Guild DV-4 Acoustic
Fender Vibro Champ XD
Last edited by schecter30 at Sep 24, 2008,
Quote by Kevin Saale
overall tightens up the sound, helping to get that tight chugga chugga sound many bands are looking for..

This sounds great, but do ya think its worth it for the engl fireball, will I notice enough difference? I know its all preference, but since I've never tried one out I was wondering what to expect from an overdrive pedal.
Guild DV-4 Acoustic
Fender Vibro Champ XD
a lot of people use them to tighten up their gain. Actually can be very useful, or give them a bit more punch to click on during a solo.

I love my tubescreamer that I built. so many uses. When not using it as an OD pedal im using it as a clean boost with the gain at 0 or 1.

What this does is boosts your signal (obviously) which drives your preamp harder creating more gain. can be very useful
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
TS: Look at Keeley Modded TubeScreamers. I think they'll work great with your Fireball for tightening up your sound. Do not waste your money on the TS808.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.