About A Week Ago I purchased a nice beginner electric Ibanez Bass,
I've been playing the guitar for about 6-8 months, but pretty much just acoustic.
The reason I want to play the bass as well is because I love playing acoustic much more then Electric Guitar, (Weird for a 13 year old, eh?) But I also love playing rock with a few friends.

Questions
1. If I get Better At One, will I become better at the other?
2. Any songs you'd recommend that would increase my playing skill in any way?
3. Any Tips at all?
4. Will playing acoustic affect my bass playing at all?
1) yes, to a point.
2) any song, as long as you're playing. also see the sticky if you are unsure what to learn.
3) learn fingerstyle. try to do two fingers, 3 is too many to start on.
4) you'll be better at chords, arpeggiating, and knowing what the guitar is doing in a jam.
Quote by FatalGear41
I wouldn't call what we have here on the Bass Forum a mentality. It's more like the sharing part of an AA meeting.

Quote by Jason Jillard
HUMANITY WHATS WRONG WITH YOU.

Warwick Fortress>>Acoustic AB50

http://www.myspace.com/rustingbloom
Questions
in a sence you will but there will come a point were you will need to work on certain techniques on just on a bass that playing a 1000 hours of guitar willnt help you.
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=540804
that should get you going.
3. Any Tips at all?
practice different techniques and expand your playing in different genres dont be closed minded
well playing acoustic will keep you from getting better on the bass. i played a lot of guitar when i frist started playing bass casue i thought it was more fun cooler etc. it wasnt until i stoped playing so much guitar that i actually got good at bass.
1) Im a firm believer that the more instruments you play, the better at each instrument you become. You stop writing parts and start writing songs

2) The more you play the better. So basically anything

3) Practicing for 10-15 minutes a day will make you progress much faster then putting it off, then practicing 3 hours on one day.

4) See #1
Questions
1. If I get better At One, will I become better at the other?

To get better at either one, you need to learn theory. And theory applies to guitar AND bass. So yes. And in other ways mention already by the other posters.

Any. But to really improve your tehnique, play songs with an actual bass line instead of just root notes.

3. Any Tips at all?

Don't delay learning music theory. Hopefully you're already learning it. I delayed for the 1st year of playing... looking back I wasn't even learning bass or guitar, I was basically just memorizing tabs.

But very important: Jam with people. I've all but stopped playing bass because I don't know any musicians, and playing bass alone is honestly boring after a while.

No. Play both. If you ever join a band, the more diverse you are, the more diverse the band can be. Plus, if you get sick of one, play the other for a while. (I'm assuming you mean acoustic guitar, not bass)
I'm not a fan of facts. You see, the facts can change, but my opinion will never change, no matter what the facts are. - Stephen Colbert

1) yes, like when you learn chords on a guitar, those notes of that chord will always sound good when played on bass with the same chord. so when trying to come up with a bass line look at the chord and that will give you notes to play on bass. I have found that playing bass gives me more freedom with notes which gives an opportunity to kinda have a solo behind what the guitars are doing which help me solo on guitar. i have found that playing bass helped me on guitar and vice versa.
2) I would just say play songs that you like to listen to and the kind of songs that you would want to play when you get better at playing bass.
3)When i started playing bass i bought a book at a local guitar shop that helped me play off of sheet music which i found very helpful, especially in concert and jazz band, and if you ever buy books of sheet music for the songs you want to learn you won't have to try and get it converted to tabs you can read it either way. other than that Practice practice practice
4)Playing acoustic may help your finger strength and dexterity on the fret board but, other then that it helps when trying to build up calluses.

hoped that would help

Ya

Don't play songs at first, get a good book, learn all the scales, will help more in the long run.

3. Any Tips at all?

Get a book to start off with and practice standing up as much as possible.

Yes.
I'll lay waiting, just waiting for my time to come
Quote by Link.JohnIrving
Questions
1. If I get better At One, will I become better at the other?

To get better at either one, you need to learn theory. And theory applies to guitar AND bass. So yes. And in other ways mention already by the other posters.

Theory isn't required to become better at either or both, it just makes things faster.

Look to the 'what songs to learn' thread for recomended songs, but tbh I'd just play anything YOU want to play, afterall your the one who has to stay interested in playing.

As far as tips go learn to play with a pick and your fingers, be flexible with your style of play.
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
what would that be called? a Fibson with Gender confusion issues?
Quote by fudger

well playing acoustic will keep you from getting better on the bass. i played a lot of guitar when i frist started playing bass casue i thought it was more fun cooler etc. it wasnt until i stoped playing so much guitar that i actually got good at bass.

I disagree. Playing guitar made me a better bassist in many respects.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

i disagree to an extent, playing guitar has made me a much better musician but not a better bassist, i'm far more aware of what the guitar is doing in the jams now but playing guitar hasn't helped me develop any more technical proficiency with a bass
Quote by bassmanjoe08
Dan

Don't stop being you <3

Quote by fatgoogle
I think after this relentless adding for the last 10 mins, that Dan is the coolest looking. Goddamn welsh people and my great etc etc etc etc etc granddad is welsh.
Quote by Deliriumbassist

I came to bass as a guitarist. I can honestly say that playing bass has made me a much better guitarist. I am far more cognizant of the drums and bass and my timing has improved 1000%. Bass has forced me to really learn how scales and just general theory apply to the music I play and a better understanding of chord construction overall.

Read the FAQ and the "what songs to learn" both are going to be highly valuable to you as a beginning bassist. And yes, find people to jam with asap. Even if you are just pounding out root notes for the first couple of months. To pull out one of my favourite bass brother Claypool quotes--"play with people who are much better than you and worse than you; you will learn from both".

If you can get a teacher, even for a few lessons to build good technique its worth it. If you can't afford a teacher, get a few good books (there's list buried in the FAQ) and watch DVDs / videos of professional players. (Be careful of youtube if you don't recognize the players name--I have seen some horrendous examples of bad playing techniques by people there.)

Practice scales, arpeggios and spider scales. Buy a metronome and use it. All of these things will improve your speed, dexterity and muscle memory in your fretting and plucking / picking hand.