Hey guys!

Next year I am going to college, so I am looking for a guitar amp to bring with me. My guitars are in my sig, and my current amp is this.

http://www.music123.com/Fender-Mini-Tone-Master-Amp-480860-i1145451.Music123

I thought I may need an upgrade.

EDIT: Forgot the budget! I want to spend around $400 on the amp.

Anyway, here is what I am looking for in an amp.
-Good tone for jazz and Progressive metal. I am going to be studying jazz, so this is a must. Also, by prog metal, I mean bands such as Dream Theatre, Ayreon, and Rush.
-Tube, or at the very least hybrid.
-Must be able to handle small, bar-sized gigs. I am thinking 30W tube as a possibility?
-Headphone jack. I can't wake up other students when I am late up practicing.
-Small. Dorms are cramped, as is my bedroom at home. I will not have the room for a halfstack, so a combo will probably be good.

As far as brands go, I am pretty much open to anything, but I would prefer not to get Peavey or Marshall. Anyone who reccomends a Line 6 spider or a Marshall MG will be shot.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Sep 23, 2008,
Mesa F30 or 50 Maybe a nomad
Quote by gregs1020
Brett has been saving for a splawn for 4 years
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
I want to know something , what.s wrong with line 6 spider ?
Quote by RazorTheAwesome
Lol at Bender

Quote by So-Cal

Quote by theguitarist

I got to warn you for spam though...

Quote by Shredoftheday
Nicely put good sir

I witnessed Night Of The Pear 2
Not that It's my favorite amp, or even my thing, but a used Peavey Ultru or XXX.
the triple X wouldn't do it very well

I still stand the F50 or 30 would be a great amp for jazz and metal
Quote by gregs1020
countries have been toppled in the time it's taking, revolutions won got a black pres

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
When he finally gets one it'll probably be televised like the Berlin Wall coming down.
The end of an era
Quote by Bostonrocks
Mesa F30 or 50 Maybe a nomad

F50 or Nomad would probably be too loud (though the headroom would be good), as well as out of your price range. I haven't seen a Nomad go for less than $550 on the Bay, and that was a beat-up 45 1x12. (Side note: I'm in the market for a Nomad 55. In the unlikely event you're selling, PM me) F50 might be too expensive and you won't need the wattage, though if you can get it you won't regret it. An F30 could be in your price range used, check Ebay. I highly recommend the F series and the Nomad, it's just that the Nomad is outside of your price range. Besides, I don't need the competition :P
EDIT: For once I'm going to contradict Gooley. I dislike the cleans on a XXX, especially for jazz. The F series on the other hand has an amazing clean tone, the reviews can't shut up about it especially on the F50. And it's Mesa, so you know the distortion is golden.
Last edited by Nightfyre at Sep 23, 2008,
yeah nomads are great I was thinking about getting one the F30 has really jazzy cleans and has EL84s so It'll be great at rush
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
I would not have thought of Mesa, they have always seemd like that overly expensive boutique-gone-production brand. I am shocked that one even fits in my pricerange.

One amp I have had in my head is the Ashdown Fallen Angel, but it is discontinued and I think it may be a hybrid amp, would that work for me?

Quote by bender424
I want to know something , what.s wrong with line 6 spider ?

They sound too digitel, so much so that the sound quality is negatively effected.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
+1 Felix

The ashdown isn't that great we have one at the place I work and it's just Ok
Quote by gregs1020

yawn

Quote by bubb_tubbs
The end of an era
Quote by kranoscorp
I would not have thought of Mesa, they have always seemd like that overly expensive boutique-gone-production brand. I am shocked that one even fits in my pricerange.

One amp I have had in my head is the Ashdown Fallen Angel, but it is discontinued and I think it may be a hybrid amp, would that work for me?

They sound too digitel, so much so that the sound quality is negatively effected.

They usually are, but Mesa does have a couple of "budget" lines. The F and Nomad series are discontinued now, replaced by the Express, which gives you an idea of the prices they had new. They're selling reasonably cheap on Ebay though, which is why I'm still hoping to snag a Nomad.
Nice PRS, btw. Which finish? Mine is the natural.
Quote by Nightfyre
F50 or Nomad would probably be too loud (though the headroom would be good), as well as out of your price range. I haven't seen a Nomad go for less than $550 on the Bay, and that was a beat-up 45 1x12. (Side note: I'm in the market for a Nomad 55. In the unlikely event you're selling, PM me) F50 might be too expensive and you won't need the wattage, though if you can get it you won't regret it. An F30 could be in your price range used, check Ebay. I highly recommend the F series and the Nomad, it's just that the Nomad is outside of your price range. Besides, I don't need the competition :P
EDIT: For once I'm going to contradict Gooley. I dislike the cleans on a XXX, especially for jazz. The F series on the other hand has an amazing clean tone, the reviews can't shut up about it especially on the F50. And it's Mesa, so you know the distortion is golden.

I'm not big on the XXX for anything, personally. For jazz cleans, there are few amps that I like, and they consist mainly of Twin Reverbs, Super Reverbs, Ampegs, and that's about it.

EDIT: I also thought (could be wrong, in fact probably am) that the XXX was very similar to the JSX, which I think has decent cleans and a good crunch, albeit a bit fizzy for my tastes.
Quote by Nightfyre
They usually are, but Mesa does have a couple of "budget" lines. The F and Nomad series are discontinued now, replaced by the Express, which gives you an idea of the prices they had new. They're selling reasonably cheap on Ebay though, which is why I'm still hoping to snag a Nomad.
Nice PRS, btw. Which finish? Mine is the natural.

Blue, I find the neck uncomfortable, though. Too thick and sticky.

That's what she said.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by mcrfobtai
Just so you know, almost NO tube amps have headphone jacks. just use your current amp for that

Ya good luck finding a tube amp with a headphone jack.
Quote by kranoscorp
Blue, I find the neck uncomfortable, though. Too thick and sticky.

That's what she said.

i c what u did thar.
Well, given that my neck isn't painted I can't compare, it's just a bit of gloss over the mahogany, but I love it. I'm a sucker for a thick neck though, it fits my hand like a glove.
Ok, I am really thinking of mesa boogie for this, how about the Stilleto?

What are the differences between the f50 and nomad?
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
sounds like you need a Mark IV to me.

or is it to expensive?
Brigadier of the 7-string legion. 7>6

Fender Telecaster
Schecter Damien 7
Engl Fireball
Just to finish this thread up, oppurtunity struck, and I bought a used Fender Princeton Chorus for $250. I tried out marshall mgs (hated them, terrible overdrive), a Crate Blonde tube (too big), things by line 6 (almost bought the line 6 Jam, but the princeton won due to cheaper price and character), and I couldn't find anything by Mesa that was under a grand. I tried VOX, but surprisingly the effects on the amp were terrible. Every single amp simulater was either useless and incorrect.The entire system was difficult to use and confusing. I honestly thought VOX would blow me away, but no.

Although the gain on the amp is not quite what I wanted, I found that the reverb and general tone of the amp gave it a lot of character, made it feel very unique compared to the blandness of line 6. It handles jass easily, rock is within reach, but metal needs some sort of distortion pedal to get a good tone. I love it.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Last edited by kranoscorp at Sep 27, 2008,