So, recently I purchased an M-Audio Fast Track USB input plug for my guitar. Basically it's an input so any standard guitar cable/mic cable can be plugged into my computer and recorded.

It also came with the M-Audio session software. The software is really simple and easy to use, but it's a pain in the but at times every so often it'll blurt out random, VERY LOUD static into my headphones and it hurts to hear it. Plus it crashes every hour and a half or so.

Anyway, I'm looking for another easy to use program for windows with built in amp effects, etc. I downloaded Cakewalk Home Studio 2004, but that thing seems harder than heck to use.

Any suggestions?
Well, are you willing to spend money?
My Gear:

MIM Fat Strat
Ibanez V70CE
Epiphone S-210
Danelectro '59 Factory Spec Reissue
Godin 5th Ave Kingpin

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe (x2)
Crybaby 535Q Wah
Marshall Regenerator
EHX Little Big Muff
BBE "Supa-Charger" Power Supply
well i use acid 6.0 and it seems to work pretty well. how you get it is up to you also try the recording forum, you might get better answers and there are stickies with suggestions for free and not so free programs.

edit: acid 4.0 is offered as a free download on sonys website and i used it forever. i find the difference between 4.0 and 6.0 is minimal for what i do. 4.0 was comparable as an industry standard for years and years.
By an 8- track recorder like the Tascam DP-01, its very cool for recording cos its portable. Price wise its bout £250 but well worth it trust me!!
Acid 4.0?

I'll give that one a shot. Yeah, I just wanna be able to record, overlap tracks, and maybe add some effects (distortion, etc.). I don't have any pedals to record through, so yeah . . . effects built into the program are helpful.

Did I hear right that you can get "extension" programs, to add effects to whatever you record?
^ yes you can. acid comes with quite a few.... flange, chorus, phaser, pitch correction, delay, ring mod,distortion and a slew of others (they're all good but i don't really like the distortion on guitars tho) i recommend acid 4.0 highly as i found it to be pretty user friendly.
Im using Sonar 6 PE, Ive used Sonar since version 2. Its simple to use and can compete with the big boys.
Yes, The Producers Edition is expensive but there are plenty of features in the $99-$200 versions.
BTW, I use an M audio FW410
*Moved* to Riffs and Recording, where the air is clear and the people generally deal with this sort of thing.
(Slightly outdated) Electronic and classical compositions by m'self: Check 'em out
Ok, I'll look into both Acid and Sonar.

Thanks for the help.

Seriously, the noise that Sessions would make was painful. I'd rip my headphones off and start crying. O_O

Thanks again!
I have ACID (5.0) and I recently got Alberton Live (lite) that comes with the Korg
Pandora 5XD. I Love ACID, but it's not really geared to recording. Live is and does
what ACID does plus a lot more. It's so good I upgraded to the full version.

Try them both out. Live has a download trial period.
Was the software you got just a trial version or something ?Because sometimes demos or trials make that horrible noise so they can't be used properly.
There is poetry in despair.
No, the software I had was part of the package with the input hardware. Which is really frickin' annoying. The learning curve with that software was pretty quick, and it was really easy. It wasn't anything super in depth, but it worked for what I needed - note taking and pretty cheap recordings. If my band ever wants to record professionally, we'll definitely go to a studio.

Actually, the two things I loved about it were:
1) Built in guitar distortions
2) A metronome while recording.

I couldn't find either of those in Acid, but the thing is laid out totally different than this was. Maybe it'll just take some work to figure out?

Live sounds like maybe it could work.

Oh, and a note for anybody else looking for the information: Acid 4.0 for free was just a trial version. They do offer 'Acid XPress' for free, but I haven't given that one a shot yet. Maybe I will.

Can anybody recommend anything with a built in metronome?
Quote by z4twenny
^ yes you can. acid comes with quite a few.... flange, chorus, phaser, pitch correction, delay, ring mod,distortion and a slew of others (they're all good but i don't really like the distortion on guitars tho) i recommend acid 4.0 highly as i found it to be pretty user friendly.

Can you make seemless loops in this program. I loop in audacity sometimes like play a riff or progression and loop it to jam over but I can never get it seemless close enough for jamming but not for making a track. Not really a huge deal but i wish I could just record a progression and seemlessly loop it.
You can usually always seamlessly loop, you just need to make sure you do it properly. You need to cut the progression down to the correct size, so you don't get any noise or silence at the beginning and end, and make sure you cut the track where the sound wave intersects the centre line. This is when the volume is zero, so you won't get any clipping when the region loops.

You'll need to zoom in to do it, until you can see the actual waveform rather than just a 'scribble'.

As for the metronome, almost every (if not every) recording program has a metronome built in. It's just part of the basic package. The guitar distortion can easily be aded using plugins within any software that supports vst's, such as Reaper, which is a very cheap download.
There is poetry in despair.
Sonar actually is a very nice program to work with once you learn it but yea it has a steep learning curve like most of the higher end programs...

I've been working on Sonar Producer 6 and 7 for a while now teaching myself and can do a lot with it at this point. It just takes time to learn. Don't forget about the F1 key either...

Go to all the sites and get the trials of each sequencer program. Try them all for a few days and find one you like, then buy that one and stick with it. Sonar, Cubase, Reaper...all good in my book.

As for amp models, try Amplitube or something similar
Ah, see that's what I was wondering - amp model plugins. Is that what Amplitude is?

Ok, I'll give all those a shot. Like I said, learning curve is kind of a big thing. Right now I just need it for note taking and recording small bits of sound to send to the other members of my band when we can't meet up (we're all running crazy schedules right now).

As for the metronome . . . I couldn't find it any of them. Like - Sessions would turn a metronome on while I was recording, so I could record to the beat. Maybe I'm just missing it. I'll dig around some more.
I've always found Cakewalk products very easy to use.
Irrelevant quote from obscure person
Obnoxious statement regarding size of e-ween
Italicized text indicating bandwagoning masquerading as deep thought
ASCII graphic that will take over the world if you put one in your signature
Made up statistic