i'm probably buying a new amp this weekend and was looking for some advice. i play just about every style.

i was leaning towards a Line 6 Spider III. my friend has this amp and i absolutely love it, plus it got nothing but 5 star reviews on guitar center's website.

what other amps are good? my budget is about $500
alright im sorry, but you can do so much better...
low quality beginners amps like that get good reviews because beginners get them and they don't know any better.

Music styles?
-------------------------------
Faded Gibson SG Special - Black ice mod
Seymour Duncan SH-5 in bridge
B-52 AT 112
Ted Weber Mass100 attenuator
EHX Small Clone
EHX Metal Muff
DIY Modded tubescreamer
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Wax Potting tutorial
Quote by ICANSEEYOU7687
alright im sorry, but you can do so much better...
low quality and budget amps like that get good reviews because beginners get them and they don't know any better.

Music styles?

+1 Also, are you gigging, can you go used?
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
People hate spiders for a reason, but if you like the spider then go for it, however here are much better amps in that price range.Also the 75 watt version is good if your gigging, but if your just using it for bedroom practice, get the 15watt, the 75 watt won\t sound any better just louder. Also what type of music do you play?
Look hard and you'll find a mesa f-30, it doesn't have effects, but it sounds way better and do anything from jazz and blues to death metal and everything in between. You may like how it sounds now, but when you develop your ear for tone better, you'll hate it. Not to mention it'll probably break, they're horrible amps as far as reliability goes. If you're wondering, 30 watts tube is plenty to gig.

30 watts tube is roughly as loud as 80 watts solid state, but the thing is, you can't crank a solid state because it will sound like shit. Crank a tube amp and it sounds better and better. 30 watts is not an optimal amount of headroom for metal, but it will suffice and is plenty for everything else. If you're mic'd you have zero worries.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by SlashYourFug
i was leaning towards it because it's 150w for 500 and it saves me the money of effects pedals. i play pretty much everything, but my band plays rock/metal.

If that's what you're after get a Roland Cube 60. It'll cover the venue, if not it's big enough they'll have a PA system for sure so you'll still be good. Besides, 150 watts is way too loud to practice with. I think it's cheaper too. They sound a bit better than the Line 6 amps anyway (imo of course).
Tell us what is the closest city to you and we'll find you an amp. For example, I found a Peavey Ultra 120 With a Cab for $300 in Atlanta. We see 5150s for $500 all the time as well as Kevin's suggestion.

Also, Spider's don't like pedals so you can forget that idea. BTW - modeling amps period do not like pedals.
Here's a few Craigslist deals for Portland cause it's your closest city.

http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/msg/844267750.html This should get you to metal with an OD and maybe a distortion pedal which you'll be able to afford with your savings.

http://portland.craigslist.org/grg/msg/847204390.html Take a look at the Roland on this page. I haven't played it, but the Rolands I do have experience with are generally awesome.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
I thought just for the hell of it I'd show you a few in Seattle also (I don't know how easy it is for you to travel there).

http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/msg/847334198.html ValveKings get a bad rap because they aren't always the most reliable things out there, but this should get you to metal (assuming you don't play too much high gain stuff) on its own.

And here's a few new amps that are within your budget.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-Vypyr-Tube-60-60W-1x12-Guitar-Tube-Amp?sku=482912 If you were interested in the Spider, this baby also is a modeler and has a much better reputation. I've never actually played one, but everyone else says that they're good.

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product?sku=481337X

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Blackheart-BH15112-Handsome-Devil-Series-15W-1x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp-?sku=483097 I don't know about this model, but the 5w Blackheart has a great tone but needs an OD pedal to do metal.

Hopefully one of these amps will interest you.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
Quote by JoePerry4life
Also the 75 watt version is good if your gigging, but if your just using it for bedroom practice, get the 15watt, the 75 watt won\t sound any better just louder

actually that is not true... i have the 75w and i tried my friends 15w and i can honestly say theres a BIG difference. the 15w will sound muddy at no matter what volume its on unlike the 75w it gets muddy at about 6 and higher.
TS get what u like; i also have a B-52 AT112(which is all tube) and sometimes i go back to my Spider
ƒuck your nuts
It gets 5 Star reviews...
WOW
The MG also gets great reviews on every site, because you wouldn't buy it if people told the truth.

OK, enough with the ranting.

Microcube.
Every style.
Every effect.
$125USD RRP.
What more could you ask for?
Quote by djurico666
I like to think that after all the hardcore dancers were happy they'd succesfully killed the air ninjas during Suicide Silence, Nile came out and made them all go

Quote by bendystraw
Work on playing with your penis. A dick solo would bring infinite girlfriends.
You can't gig with a Microcube unless you mike it up, so if you can afford it you may as well get a Cube 60.
Quote by Cathbard
You guys need to consider that alot of places don't have everything to mic an amp. I know plenty of places near me (Southern New Jersey) that don't allow you to mic anything. Incase there are any places around him that also don't mic stuff, he should however many watts it takes to be able to do it all on his own. JMO.

The Spider series are okay if you're practicing in your bedroom by yourself, but that's about it. There are alot of people who buy those amps that love them at first, then once they develope a better ear or hear better amps, they begin to hate it. A friend of mine just baught the Line6 Spider III Halfstack for $500 about 6 months ago, and he loved it at first. About a week after he got it he asked if I felt like jamming, so he braught the amp over to play. He came over, turned his amp on, plugged in his guitar and started playing. I plug in my Peavey Ultra Plus 120 w/ my Peavey Cab loaded with Celestion G12K-85s that I got for $450 and it blew him away. Ever since that day we jammed he's been saving up money to buy a tube amp.

With that kind of budget, you can get a much better amp than what you're looking at right now. I got my amp from a local shop the week they opened up. They're real cool guys and I sat there and talked to them about the shop for a while. I asked about the Peavey head and Peavey cab, and wound up getting the head for $300 and the cab for $120 from them, and the Peavey Ultra Plus 120 had just got retubed. If you look around, you'll find something you'll like much, much more, I can garentee it. I'm not saying you have to go tube, because some people prefer SS to tube, but I think you should shop around a little.