well i dont really get the metal tone out of my rg350 and my b-52 at112 and i was thinking about changing either the tubes or my pups.
but i have no idea on what tubes i would buy =/
and if i bought new pups i would go for either dimarzio D Activator set or D Activator-X (can anyone tell me the difference?)
EMG's are too expensive
ƒuck your nuts
Stock pups in the RG? Before you switch, try using an od in front of the amp to boost it, might make up for poor pups. Set the gain to zero and the level to 10.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
Quote by Kevin Saale
Stock pups in the RG? Before you switch, try using an od in front of the amp to boost it, might make up for poor pups. Set the gain to zero and the level to 10.

i got a dimebucker on the bridge.
and i tried my Boss OS-2 but it didnt really give me what i wanted
ƒuck your nuts
Ditch the dimebucker, it's a horribly muddy pickup to my ears. Try tubescreamer copy like a bad monkey, it'll probably work better than the boss, worth a try atleast.

I don't really know pickups too well so you'll have to wait on someone to help you with that.

Tubes aren't really gonna help you get a more metal sound, those high gain retubes are more gimmicks than anything if you ask me.
I'd try the bad monkey, or buy from gc and return it if you don't like. Trying those pups would be harder which is why I suggested trying the OD first. Go to GC and see if you can't find some guitars that have similar bodies, but have the pups you want so you can try them with a b-52
im not even sure if they have the xiphos there but i wouldnt reaLLY be able to compare since the xiphos body is mahagony =/
i guess ill just try a bad monkey and if i dont like it ill return it like you said
ƒuck your nuts
That is one of the nice things about guitar center. I hardly ever test pedals there since I'd rather just go straight to using it on my rig and see how it sounds.
I'm +1,000 Kevin's suggestion on Bad Monkey.

I'm not a pickup expert either really but what I often tell people it to call Seymour Duncan's cust serv number and talk it through with them. They are great, and then you an use their suggestion/ideas in your quest if you still feel you need to do something. DiMarzio may have that too.
Im here for your pickup problem!
And your tube problem.

How old is your amp.
Is it used?
Is everything stock?

What is your favorite 3 tones?
What style do you play?
And budget?
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH

I'm not a pickup expert either really but what I often tell people it to call Seymour Duncan's cust serv number and talk it through with them. They are great, and then you an use their suggestion/ideas in your quest if you still feel you need to do something. DiMarzio may have that too.

what? i got no idea what u just said ...
ƒuck your nuts
[quote="'[BurnTheDusk"]']Im here for your pickup problem!
And your tube problem.

How old is your amp.
Is it used?
Is everything stock?

What is your favorite 3 tones?
What style do you play?
And budget?

1.i dont know how old it is
2.yes i bought it used
3.yes everything is stock
4-5.i mainly play metal and metalcore : All That Remains, Killswitch, As Blood Runs Black.. Iron Maiden, Metallica, just to name a few
6.i'll save up
ƒuck your nuts
I also say try the Bad Monkey. For the price, you can't go wrong. And even if that doesn't suit you, you can return it like others have said. Win Win.

But if you spend a bunch of money on a new tubes, sure you will probably get better tone, but if its still not what you're looking for you'd be out a whole lot more money.

Also, I've noticed that over the years, I have never been happy with my tone. I've always been a tone chaser. From JCM800's, to full blown racks, to Mesas and 5150's, I've never been satisfied. I bet if I had a Splawn, I'd still be searching. Its nature. I tell you one thing though, with more practice, your tone improves no matter what gear you're rockin...
Gibson Les Paul Traditional Pro II
Jackson Soloist SL2H
Schecter Hellraiser Solo 6
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plus Top
Epiphone AJ200SCE Acoustic-Electric
Epiphone Embassy
Vintage Audition Mystery Guitar
B-52 AT100
Vox VT80
Quote by meanppls7
1.i dont know how old it is
2.yes i bought it used
3.yes everything is stock
4-5.i mainly play metal and metalcore : All That Remains, Killswitch, As Blood Runs Black.. Iron Maiden, Metallica, just to name a few
6.i'll save up

For metal metalcore type stuff i would recomend...
Bridge - Drop Sonic (Dimarzio)

And instead of a new neck and middle pickup id recomend a new speaker.
Speaker - Veteran 30
Get the Bad Monkey. I had the exact same problem, in the exact same situation. (see my gear)

I changed my tubes first. Was a nice, but minor difference.
Then I changed my pickups. Also a nice, but small difference.
Then I got the Digitech Bad Monkey. Huge difference, metal central.
Then I got the Line 6 constrictor. My flabby B-52 now sounded tight.

That being said, I am most likely picking up an ENGL blackmore this saturday.....
WTLTL 2011
Last edited by Mark G at Sep 24, 2008,