I know quite a few of these threads have been popping up recently so please bear with me.
I need some advice on a distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedal that could take me all the way from :
Sublime(obviously not their clean songs), Pearl Jam, Frusciante(Chilis too I guess), Black Keys, Blind Melon, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins (like the breakdown/solo from tarantula. the fuzz is godly), Alexisonfire, Muse (stuff like plug in baby, hysteria), all the way through to Tool.

I have an old school ibanez rg from the 80's, and I'm going to be using it on a crate tube amp( v18 1x12) which I will be acquiring soon.

I wish I could go to guitar center and screw around but I can't, as I live in canada and my local music store is balls.

So basically I would like a suggestion as to what pedal could take me from a bluesy overdrive to a metal tone. Would I need multiple pedals?

So far I have considered the TS(the 100$ one), bad monkey, metal muff, big muff, russian big muff, and that's about it.

Budget goes up to the price of my amp, because it would just be silly if I bought a pedal that was more expensive than my amp (150 bones).
Uh.....you're asking for alot.
Really, you need a Russian Big Muff & Fulltone OCD. But that's out of budget.
I'm putting my GAS on hold
for a couple months in order to pimp my ride.

Don't judge me.
I would suggest saving a little, then getting a Big Muff and a Bad Monkey. Maybe a Digitech Grunge pedal instead of the Big Muff if you need them now and are short for cash.
Quote by Cathbard
If all you had to go on was the forum you'd think a Decimator could cure noise caused by dodgey stage lighting and restock the ocean's population of sperm whales
i have a metal muff and tubescreamer combo and i love it.. metal tones and overdrive tones galore
Quote by trojanfan12
i have a metal muff and tubescreamer combo and i love it.. metal tones and overdrive tones galore

I like this idea, even though it would be 200$.
With the extra gain from a TS would you really need the metal muff over the big muff?
Metal Muff is not a good fuzz pedal and won't do Pumpkins and Nirvana well. It'll do AOF and Tool okay.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
Uh.....you're asking for alot.
Really, you need a Russian Big Muff & Fulltone OCD. But that's out of budget.

I know that I'm asking for a lot which is why I said I'd be open to multiple pedal combinations...I just don't want to spend 150 bucks on one pedal, you know?
I'll check out that OCD and why do you say the russian muff over the american/metal?
Quote by theoreticmusic
Metal Muff is not a good fuzz pedal and won't do Pumpkins and Nirvana well. It'll do AOF and Tool okay.

Thanks man, is that why you suggest a fuzz plus an od? For that extra gain?
Will a fuzz + od be able to push to Tool?

EDIT: holy sh it that fulltone sounds great? I've never heard of it before. Would anyone else suggest that over a tubescreamer?
Last edited by tona_107 at Sep 24, 2008,
Quote by tona_107
I know that I'm asking for a lot which is why I said I'd be open to multiple pedal combinations...I just don't want to spend 150 bucks on one pedal, you know?
I'll check out that OCD and why do you say the russian muff over the american/metal?

Russian Muff is what Corgan used, and I personally like it better.

Don't judge me.
Quote by tona_107
Thanks man, is that why you suggest a fuzz plus an od? For that extra gain?
Will a fuzz + od be able to push to Tool?

EDIT: holy sh it that fulltone sounds great? I've never heard of it before. Would anyone else suggest that over a tubescreamer?

The OCD should do it by itself. A TS is only best for metal when you're using it to tighten up the sound. I don't think itll push a crate v to metal.

Don't judge me.
Go with the Big Muff
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.

No, he can't. I'm sure he doesn't even understand what you need, and is just making that recommendation based on the fact that he luvz teh muff.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
No, he can't. I'm sure he doesn't even understand what you need, and is just making that recommendation based on the fact that he luvz teh muff.

Ah, the one and only problem with these forums...
Quote by shadow__666
I would suggest saving a little, then getting a Big Muff and a Bad Monkey. Maybe a Digitech Grunge pedal instead of the Big Muff if you need them now and are short for cash.

I would NOT recommend the Digitech Grunge. I have one and it has to be the most trebly POS I own. I can't get any good metal tones out of it, much less any grunge tones, or anything really.

Sorry for the impulsive post, I just really don't think that's a good idea. Also, the Metal Muff could be better, it is decent though.
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by shadow__666

NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO

Get the DS-1 or DS-2 (I always will recommend this for 90's alt)
and maybe a Double Muff, or Big Muff?

I own both a DS-1 and Double Muff and love them.

I own the DOD Grunge and I'm ashamed of it, it's a total peice of crap, I got it for 5$, and i don't think it was worth it

dunno the model of the big muff that I played, but it was the one that was popular in the 90's.
Quote by Swap-Meet
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO

Get the DS-1 or DS-2 (I always will recommend this for 90's alt)
and maybe a Double Muff, or Big Muff?

I own both a DS-1 and Double Muff and love them.

I own the DOD Grunge and I'm ashamed of it, it's a total peice of crap, I got it for 5$, and i don't think it was worth it

NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO

a fulltone OCD and russian big muff blow the damn pants off of a DS-1. pleeeeassseeeee don't recommend a ds-1 over a superior pedal.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO

a fulltone OCD and russian big muff blow the damn pants off of a DS-1. pleeeeassseeeee don't recommend a ds-1 over a superior pedal.

for pearl jam, nirvana, and smashing pumpkins I doubt there's anything better than a DS-1....maybe a DS-2 lol?

anyways, I really love it, and have loved the DS-1 for 2 years.... I even like it when I try playing Sublime-ish stuff
Quote by theoreticmusic
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO
NO

Indeed, the OCD sounds incredible!
-Paul Reed Smith SE Custom
-Bugera 333XL 212
Quote by Swap-Meet
for pearl jam, nirvana, and smashing pumpkins I doubt there's anything better than a DS-1....maybe a DS-2 lol?

anyways, I really love it, and have loved the DS-1 for 2 years.... I even like it when I try playing Sublime-ish stuff

you've clearly never played a russian big muff.

Don't judge me.
Quote by theoreticmusic

No you idiot. I read the thread and based on what I read I chose to reccomend Big Muff, geez. People should use this forum to have guidance into pedals to TEST, dont go around asking for a pedal to buy. ASK FOR RECCOMENDATIONS, THEN TEST THEM. Now go test the Big Muff, Tubescreamer blah blah blah whatever your little heart desires and YOU pick the pedal that YOU think is right for YOU.
Quote by Le_Bunny
Money doesn't fuel good music. Passion does.