Right now i have a epiphone, supposibly my brother payed 500 for it, but i hate it, and just dont like it, but i have only played it on a little 50 dollar marshall

but i can either get a ec-1000 (for my self, so i can tune it lower, which i want..) or get a RG100SC amp for 200..

problem is, i only have 500 dollars right now. so i have to choose one.. atleast for right now. I guess i really should get the amp but i cant stand my brothers guitar, but it doesn't seem like it will be able to play the deathcore/hardcore specially in like Standard tuning..
play the guitar on a differnt amp with a $50 marshall any guitar would sound bad
Quote by wasd123
play the guitar on a differnt amp with a $50 marshall any guitar would sound bad

Yeah, just when i pratice i dont even use an amp sometimes, I know this is a stupid question, just epiphones piss me off, it feels like your holding a million bricks, and the neck is a brick itself, ec-1000 feel so nice, i will want to actually play it.
test the guitar on a diff amp but if you still dont like it try to sell it for 400 if it was 500 then use the money to get a new guitar or amp unless you would still want th guitar
Quote by wasd123
test the guitar on a diff amp but if you still dont like it try to sell it for 400 if it was 500 then use the money to get a new guitar or amp unless you would still want th guitar

Well, another thing its my brothers, so he brings it places, and all this stuff. plus the first string doesnt even work from.. like 9-22(or whatever epiphones go to)
if you can at least extend it $100 more than you can get a guitar in the $400 range and a small tube amp.
Gear:
Ibanez Artcore AM73
Carlo-Robelli Acoustic (first guitar)
Peavey VaveKing 212
BOSS GE-7
BOSS Super Chorus CH-1
It's his brothers guitar, he shouldn't be selling it. How much cash do you have? I'm guessing like $850USD if you're considering an EC-1000?

EDIT- I'm an idiot, I forgot that you told us how much you have. Anyways, can I ask where you're getting an EC-1000 for $500USD? Unless of course it's used.
Quote by roguearthur
Well, another thing its my brothers, so he brings it places, and all this stuff. plus the first string doesnt even work from.. like 9-22(or whatever epiphones go to)

oh read it wrong thought you said he bought it for you
Quote by caraluzzo
It's his brothers guitar, he shouldn't be selling it. How much cash do you have? I'm guessing like $850USD if you're considering an EC-1000?

EDIT- I'm an idiot, I forgot that you told us how much you have. Anyways, can I ask where you're getting an EC-1000 for $500USD? Unless of course it's used.

nope, its used, not bad condition at all! so its 500! but then again the amp is used too. from different people though! :[

I have 350 right now, im selling a bass amp tomorrow for idk how much probably 200-250. no more though its a peavey tnt115... i was gonna sell it for 300 saturday but the kid backed out :/
I wanna tell you to buy the amp, but I don't think I would. I would jump on that EC-1000 deal while you still can. If you sell the bass amp for $200 and have $550 then you'll have some extra cash. Use some of the left over cash to get a set of strings (Elixir Anti Rust Nanowebs would be what I'd recommend) and then put the little bit of money left away somewere. Whenever you get cash, put it with that extra money you have put away to go towards funding for a new amp.

Alot of people on here will probably tell you to get the amp, but I don't think I'd play an amp with a guitar I didn't enjoy playing. Atleast this way you'll be playing a guitar you actually like through the crap Marshall you have until you can afford something better.

If you don't mind me asking, what EC-1000 are you planning on getting?
thank you, best reasonable answer which is what im going by, half the time when i play, i dont even plug it in, im getting the red one, with EMGs, its a year old model, atleast a year old, im not sure if it has 81/60 like the new ones, but i hope! its so nice!
If it dosn't have the 81/60 then it's got the 81/85 set, unless of course somebody changed them out. My Eclipse is an 06' model and I have the 81/60 set, so you should be fine. The red quilt on those are nice, I almost got one a few years ago but decided on something else. I should of got one at that time, cause now the guitar I got instead just sits around the house without getting played.

Really hope you're happy with the choice that's made. I'm sure you'll love the EC if you get it. Before you purchase it, just be sure to overlook everything. Plug it in as well, make sure theres no problems with wiring/jacks on it. I notice that sometimes at guitar stores, assuming you're going to a shop.

EDIT-

Also, what style of music are you playing? If you tell me/us how much you plan on saving up for an amp then you'll probably get an idea of what to look at once you have the cash saved up. Just answer these questions and we'll try giving you an idea of what to look at, this way you have time to test them before hand.

What price are you looking to spend?
What music do you play? (Mention certain bands if you feel it'll help describe what you're looking for in an amp.)
Tube or SS?
New or used?
Combo or head/cab?
Bedroom practice or band practice amp?

I'd be more then happy to help you out if you have any questions. I'll do my best to answer them, and hopefully point you in the right direction of what to check out.
Last edited by caraluzzo at Sep 24, 2008,
nope, im buying it from a real life friend ive known my whole life, good guy not shady at all, he used to be in a pop punk band, but he quit for college so i asked him i could buy it. he would let me play it, and all before i buy it, even though i dont know how to really play guitar yet! heh

plus i heard 85 is very good, just like 60. even though 60 has better "stats wise" but both are amazing. specially for how bad i am

edit

What price are you looking to spend? for the amp? as much as i need, but i dont have a job yet...
What music do you play? Not definite on the tone, but like.. lame deathcore, melodic hardcore, stuff like misery signals, whitechapel, born of osiris.
Tube or SS? SS probably because Tube is expensive
New or used? any.
Combo or head/cab? combo im poor.
Bedroom practice or band practice amp? bedroom for now, but might use it for shows, when im good.

the thing is my friend has a that randall, i mentioned it in the first post, its 200 dollars. and he says its really good, and for the style he plays in his band, which is like misery signals. but if you can give me other tips if i dont buy his, let me know.
Last edited by roguearthur at Sep 24, 2008,
The EMG 60 has alot of bass responce, much more then the EMG 85's. I find it to be pretty good for cleans.

Btw, updated my last post.
Quote by caraluzzo
The EMG 60 has alot of bass responce, much more then the EMG 85's. I find it to be pretty good for cleans.

Btw, updated my last post.

btw updated my last post

well, i just found out, it does have the locking tuners on it, which probably means its the newer model, aka 60s on it!
Yeah, I think only the new models 07'-08' come with the Sperzel locking tuners. They make it much easier to restring, I love mind. If it does have the 60, then I hope you like it. Like I stated, it's a little bassy, but it does cleans great. If you're using the 60 on a distorted channel, it gets that 'smooth' tone that you hear in alot of solo's. Deffinatly a good pickup IMO.

Well, if you're not deffinate on the tone, I'd recommend going to a local shop and giving a bunch of amps a try. If you're not sure exactly what you're looking for in an amp, it's hard to recommend some things. Your comment about tubes being expensive, I know what you mean. It's not the amp itself that gets expensive for people, but having to replace tubes gets pretty expensive depending on the amp.

That Randall you said your friend is trying to sell, do you know what model it is? Also, is it a combo? See if you can get more detail on that amp. See how many watts it has, the model name and what kind of speaker(s) he has in it right now. You may be good with the Randall your friend has, because it sounds like you like the tone of it, but I'd like to know the info just incase the theres something that could fit you a bit better for the music you want to play.
"RG100SC"

is the randall, its a combo, most people gave it great reviews its got a 9.9 on ultimate guitar :P

plus i think even if there was better for more, i think i should then just start saving for a actual tube. and just buying a decent good enough combo.
Try it out if you can, see how you like it.
Might be worth picking up if it sounds good.
Quote by caraluzzo
Try it out if you can, see how you like it.
Might be worth picking up if it sounds good.

Yep, thank you, i guess im just going to go to bed, and buy the guitar first.. blah ive been studying up on this for like weeks, and now straight back and forth for 5 hours now.. thank you for all the help, means a lot!
I suggest that Randall as well, the company is great in general! I recently got their $500 half-stack deal, and I don't think I could be happier, superb sound. I play old school thrash and melodic death metal, and I believe the amp is perfect for that kind of stuff.
hide your kids, hide your wife.

Quote by angus_young_32
I'd rather kill myself than commit suicide.

UG Hatecrew FTW