Im recording some old vinyls to my PC using audacity and a USB turntable. In the instruction book it came with it recomends normalizing the audio levels and shows instructions on how to do it. My question is, what does that even mean...? Will it take away dynamics?? That sounds like a bad thing to me.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
normalizing the audio in audacity will simply amplify it as much as possible without clipping. This doesn't degrade the sound in any way, just makes it louder. In case you're looking you have to select all of the audio, and find normalize under the effects tab.
Alright, thanks. I dont think it needs it. It recorded plenty loud.
"Good and evil lay side by side as electric love penetrates the sky"
Rather than normalising the sound (which will amplify everything), you might want to use an expander which will amplifier the main "body" of the music without amplifying the low-level clicks and hiss. Might be worth experimenting with but bear in mind that you might lose some of the vinyl "sound" which may or may-not be what you want.
sorry to add a new question but while you are on the topic of audacity. Im recording with it and when i play chords on the guitar it gets loud and fuzzy. Is there an effect i can use to stop all the fuzz?
Rather than normalizing, go into the "Amplify..." effect and back off the gain so you are -0.3db at the highest.

Also be sure you are using a phono preamp if you have a standard interface and record player deal. These preamps have a special EQ to them to correct the audio.
Quote by moody07747
Also be sure you are using a phono preamp if you have a standard interface and record player deal. These preamps have a special EQ to them to correct the audio.

It's a USB turntable (hopefully a good Stanton instead of the cheap Ions) so a preamp must be included in the AD converter.

If you don't like the sound, consider replacing the needle. Shure M44Gs are known for their balanced output and light wear on records.
Quote by keiron_d
thank you sooooooo much for the advice Fast_Fingers...i would hug you if i could...i looooove you!

True love exists in UG. Can you feel it?

Recording Guitar Amps 101